Republicans Determined to Lose Senate

Started by trdsf, January 09, 2018, 03:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

That's the only conclusion I can come to, between the announcements that noted loon Michele Bachmann is thinking about running for Tina Smith's (formerly Al Franken's) Senate seat in Minnesota and professional bigot Joe Arpaio is running for Jeff Flake's in Arizona.

I'll make the popcorn.  If the GOP is going to run their trumpiest nutjobs this yearâ€"and Bannon has said he wants to run his brand of wingnuts against more mainstream Republican congressfolk, Roy Moores coast to coast (with or without his additional baggage)â€"I can even see celebrating with champagne come November.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

I don't know, it seems the Republicans can do just about anything and still win elections. But Moore's loss was encouraging, maybe we'll see more like that. I was really disappointed in Franken having to step down.

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Luther Martini

Oh great ... batshit crazy Bachmann is hearing voices in her head again. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH4p1RUfF9A

How appropriate it is for her to float the idea of a possible Senate run on the TV show of that infamous paragon of hypocrisy, Jim Bakker.  (Remember Jim and Tammy Faye and the PTL fall from grace ?)

Baruch

Don't worry, Oprah will save the Democrats ... with running mate Ellen ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

I'm not exactly optimistic about the future of this country, but I'll hold onto a little hope that the shit show the Republicans are putting on will convince those in the center that the Left and the Right are not even close to being equal evils.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on January 10, 2018, 12:27:43 AM
I'm not exactly optimistic about the future of this country, but I'll hold onto a little hope that the shit show the Republicans are putting on will convince those in the center that the Left and the Right are not even close to being equal evils.

I will vote I-party, or not at all.  That is true individualism.  I have nothing in common with my fellow Americans, other than disdain for politicians.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

The crazier the Rebulica candidates, the better.  There HAS to be a bottom SOMEWHERE.  The sooner they find it, the better off us non-whackies will be.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on January 10, 2018, 11:11:39 AM
The crazier the Rebulica candidates, the better.  There HAS to be a bottom SOMEWHERE.  The sooner they find it, the better off us non-whackies will be.

Does there?  I used to think so.  I'm not so sure any more.  But I really, really hope you are right and we have found the bottom now.  We have......................haven't we??????
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on January 10, 2018, 11:43:05 AM
Does there?  I used to think so.  I'm not so sure any more.  But I really, really hope you are right and we have found the bottom now.  We have......................haven't we??????

Even the Venetians found solid ground under the mud.  And there is that Monty Python sketch about the castle that kept sinking. 

There IS a bottom.  I hope to live long enough to see it.  It has to get better after that.

SGOS

It almost seems like the party in control of Congress automatically loses control in the election following the election of a president of their party.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on January 10, 2018, 12:08:20 PM
It almost seems like the party in control of Congress automatically loses control in the election following the election of a president of their party.

Dare I point out that too many voters are actually stupid?  They respond more to "charisma" ,being unable to recognize skill.

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on January 10, 2018, 12:30:40 PM
Dare I point out that too many voters are actually stupid?  They respond more to "charisma" ,being unable to recognize skill.
Most of the time when I go to the polls, I look at the crowd and say to myself, "We are so fucked!"

Blackleaf

Quote from: Cavebear on January 10, 2018, 12:30:40 PM

I've noticed that pattern too. Control always seems to flipflop from one side to the other. After a President serves 8 years (Kami help us if Trump is re-elected), the opposite party wins the next Presidency. The thought patterns of those in the center seems to be, "I don't like how things are. Maybe the other team will do better." So Republicans make a mess, people vote them out. Democrats don't fix that mess fast enough, they're elected out. And the cycle continues.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Cavebear

Quote from: Blackleaf on January 10, 2018, 01:41:16 PM
I've noticed that pattern too. Control always seems to flipflop from one side to the other. After a President serves 8 years (Kami help us if Trump is re-elected), the opposite party wins the next Presidency. The thought patterns of those in the center seems to be, "I don't like how things are. Maybe the other team will do better." So Republicans make a mess, people vote them out. Democrats don't fix that mess fast enough, they're elected out. And the cycle continues.

It is worse.  The Republicans ruin the general economy to give more to the rich.  The Democrats get elected and have to fix things.  Then people get unhappy and go for the Republicans again.

trdsf

Quote from: SGOS on January 10, 2018, 12:08:20 PM
Typically, midterm elections go against the party in the White House more than they do the party in control of the houses of Congress.  That's what made the 1998 midterms so stunning, forcing the Newtster to resign: he pitched the '98 midterms as a referendum on President Clinton and Witchfinder General Ken Starr's hatchet job... and lost seats.  It was the first time in 64 years that the non-presidential party failed to gain seats in a midterm, and the first in 176 years that the non-presidential party failed to pick up seats in the second midterm of a President's term.  The 2002 midterms were similarly anomalous -- pickups for the GOP in the wake of 9/11.  They didn't lose control of the House until the 2006 midterms that swept in 31 new Democrats... which were swept out again in Obama's first midterms.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan