News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

On Miracles

Started by trdsf, January 09, 2018, 11:38:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aitm

Quote from: cabinetmaker on January 29, 2018, 10:52:23 AM
Why is it that people always seem to treat God as a genie that would exist solely to grant our every wish and keep us perfectly healthy?

gee, I don't know...maybe because the babble says so. Ya know....that silly little verse that you all compi-believers claim is absolute unless you expect it to mean what it says? You know...that silly lil verse that says...If you pray...believing..you can tell that mountain to move and it will and nothing will be impossible for you?  Ya that one...go ahead...start with the excuses in 3..2..1..
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Hydra009

Quote from: cabinetmaker on January 29, 2018, 10:52:23 AM
Why is it that people always seem to treat God as a genie that would exist solely to grant our every wish and keep us perfectly healthy?
You mean like lepers calling out to be magically healed?  No idea...

cabinetmaker

Quote from: aitm on January 29, 2018, 09:57:32 PM
gee, I don't know...maybe because the babble says so. Ya know....that silly little verse that you all compi-believers claim is absolute unless you expect it to mean what it says? You know...that silly lil verse that says...If you pray...believing..you can tell that mountain to move and it will and nothing will be impossible for you?  Ya that one...go ahead...start with the excuses in 3..2..1..
Ah yes, faith the size of a mustard seed.  But that doesn't answer the question I actually asked.  Why do you think that verse discussing the frailty of human faith makes God subject to granting any and all wishes we may put to Him?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Hakurei Reimu

Because without the assurance that God will answer these prayers like a genie, it becomes the Jug of Milk illusion. This is where praying to God has exactly the same outward effect as praying to a jug of milk.

Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hakurei Reimu

Come now! Spoiled milk solves theodicy!
(she bites!)

Baruch

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on January 30, 2018, 06:45:41 PM
Come now! Spoiled milk solves theodicy!

But "being behind the 8 ball" gives me precious victim status ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

cabinetmaker

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on January 30, 2018, 05:26:57 PM
Because without the assurance that God will answer these prayers like a genie, it becomes the Jug of Milk illusion. This is where praying to God has exactly the same outward effect as praying to a jug of milk.

Why should God grant your team victory in the supper bowl and ignore the prayers of those routing for the other team?  Why should give you a new car and ignore those who need new shoes?  Why should God grant you the love of your life and ignore the prayers of the family whose mother just ran away?

Maybe the problem here is that people are not praying for the right things.  We pray out of our selfishness, not out of love for others.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Mike Cl

Quote from: cabinetmaker on January 31, 2018, 09:57:41 AM

Maybe the problem here is that people are not praying for the right things.  We pray out of our selfishness, not out of love for others.
Maybe the REAL problem is that some are praying to the wrong god??!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

trdsf

Maybe the real problem is that people are praying rather than doing.

Next time there's a hurricane in Florida, don't pray for the victims, send a couple bucks to the Red Cross or other relief organizations.  Got a friend or family member who's in a bad way and you're too far to help physically and/or too broke to help financially?  Be an ear for them to vent to and/or a shoulder to cry on.  As far as I'm concerned, "I'll pray for you" is nothing more than a socially acceptable way to say "I can't (or won't) actually help, sucks to be you."

I did notice that the tone of my prayers changed radically when I left Christianity for Wicca.  I stopped praying for things to happen or not happen; instead I prayed for understanding as to why things happened the way they did.

Eventually I noticed I still had to figure things out for myself.  Unless someone cares to suggest that my Neopagan gods did a better job of answering their voicemail than the Christian god did...
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on January 31, 2018, 10:55:15 AM

Next time there's a hurricane in Florida, don't pray for the victims, send a couple bucks to the Red Cross or other relief organizations.  Got a friend or family member who's in a bad way and you're too far to help physically and/or too broke to help financially?  Be an ear for them to vent to and/or a shoulder to cry on.  As far as I'm concerned, "I'll pray for you" is nothing more than a socially acceptable way to say "I can't (or won't) actually help, sucks to be you."

I did notice that the tone of my prayers changed radically when I left Christianity for Wicca.  I stopped praying for things to happen or not happen; instead I prayed for understanding as to why things happened the way they did.

Eventually I noticed I still had to figure things out for myself.  Unless someone cares to suggest that my Neopagan gods did a better job of answering their voicemail than the Christian god did...

Epistle of James ... those who have faith and don't act .. are hypocrits.  The magic of prayer isn't about G-d, it is about you getting past the neuroses that are preventing you from acting.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hakurei Reimu

Why should God grant your team victory in the supper bowl and ignore the prayers of those routing for the other team?
We're not talking about these obviously mutually exclusive choices. God ignores the prayers of people to heal amputees and cure them of diseases.

Why should give you a new car and ignore those who need new shoes?
An omnipotent being should be able to grant both. I don't see the problem. The only thing that you posing this question does is diminish the power of your god.

Also, he doesn't do either.

Quote from: cabinetmaker link=topic=12278.msg1206259#msg1206259
Why should God grant you the love of your life and ignore the prayers of the family whose mother just ran away?
Again, a God that has to make these kinds of choices is one limited in resources. Not only limited in resources in an absolute sense, but limited in resources on any human level. We're able to find these mothers, and we've done it on occasion. God should be able to do at least as well.

But he doesn't do either.

Quote from: cabinetmaker link=topic=12278.msg1206259#msg1206259
He doesn't do either.

Again, the Jug of Milk illusion. "We have to trust that the Jug of Milk knows best." trdsf is right: prayer is a socially-acceptable excuse to not help someone.
(she bites!)

aitm

Quote from: cabinetmaker on January 30, 2018, 03:21:21 PM
Why do you think that verse discussing the frailty of human faith makes God subject to granting any and all wishes we may put to Him?

just the annoying part where it states, "and nothing will be impossible for you" ..you know.....not hard to grasp. But pretty easy to make excuses for, and pretty common excuses they are.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

cabinetmaker

Quote from: trdsf on January 31, 2018, 10:55:15 AM

There is an interesting passage in Mathew dealing with sorting the sheep and the goats.  Prayer is important.  Doing is what love really is.
Hunter S. Thompson