News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

On Miracles

Started by trdsf, January 09, 2018, 11:38:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: cabinetmaker on January 29, 2018, 02:36:28 PM
Jesus commanded us to love our neighbor as we love ourselves.  We don't do that and suffer a hard life because of that and we blame God for our hard life and the hard lives of others.  God is our Father, but He is also God and as such, He is not subject to us.

A purely Christian statement.  Nothing wrong with being a Christian, but it won't fly here.  But Jesus was quoting Jewish scripture (Christian scripture didn't exist until later).  Bible literate Jews believe this too.  Usually in religious context, it means love the people who share the same religion ... this is as it is in Islam for example.  The idea that we are to love everyone, regardless of specifics ... is undoable  and self destructive.  In context, Jesus was talking about Samaritans vs Judeans.  There was an argument as to who was a genuine Jewish person (still going on today).  Not about all sentients in the multiverse.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: cabinetmaker on January 29, 2018, 03:34:45 PM
And a great many people fail as you have in their attempts to understand what Jesus was saying.  They treat it so literally that they miss that Jesus was saying that EVERYBODY is your neighbor.
Jesus had 12 disciples and this is what He expected of them.  Of course, this statement is also hyperbole because Jesus's whole gospel is about loving and caring.  You still love your family, you just love Jesus more to be a disciple.  Choices.
Some worse than others.
You can go on and on and on but that doesn't really prove anything more than that men can really screw up the most simple of things.  Jesus said love God with everything you are and love each other as you love yourself.  It really is that simple.  A bit more difficult to practice.  But men don't like that simplicity so men create religion.  As set of rules that they must follow or else.  And religion A's rules are "better" (pronounced "different") than religion B's so naturally, in the name of God, Religion B must destroy Religion B.  And vice a versa.  It has been my experience the a great many religions actually have very little to do with what God wants of us.

How can anyone claim to understand an old book in a foreign language, without hard study of the language and culture that made it?  Ah, we can trust scholars and theologians, right?  What about clergy and elderly laity?  Wrong!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x2SvqhfevE
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Jesus's whole gospel is about loving and caring.  You still love your family, you just love Jesus more to be a disciple.
Oh, is that why he said, in Matthew 10:34-36 "Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
And a man's foes shall be they of his own household."

Doesn't sound exactly "loving and caring" does it?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 29, 2018, 03:46:19 PM
Oh, is that why he said, in Matthew 10:34-36 "Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
And a man's foes shall be they of his own household."

Doesn't sound exactly "loving and caring" does it?

He was just being a Palestinian ... he loves to call Gentiles .. dogs, and cares to keep his scimitar sharp for work.

The American Jesus isn't Biblical, he is usually a Gentile who will go cat fishing with his Church buddies ;-)

Hakurei thinks I am this guy ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs3dPaz9nAo
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

You can go on and on and on but that doesn't really prove anything more than that men can really screw up the most simple of things.  Jesus said love God with everything you are and love each other as you love yourself.  It really is that simple.  A bit more difficult to practice.  But men don't like that simplicity so men create religion.  As set of rules that they must follow or else.  And religion A's rules are "better" (pronounced "different") than religion B's so naturally, in the name of God, Religion B must destroy Religion B.  And vice a versa.  It has been my experience the a great many religions actually have very little to do with what God wants of us.
It is amazing that so many people read the bible differently.  Or how many take your Jesus to be a real person and how many say he teaches this or that, when he is actually a real person.  It turns out he is actually as real as Bugs Bunny is.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on January 29, 2018, 03:47:56 PM
He was just being a Palestinian ... he loves to call Gentiles .. dogs, and cares to keep his scimitar sharp for work.

The American Jesus isn't Biblical, he is usually a Gentile who will go cat fishing with his Church buddies ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs3dPaz9nAo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KKWE61diVI
God Not Found

Hakurei Reimu

Quote from: Baruch on January 29, 2018, 03:47:56 PM
Yes, yes, you're only pretending to be retarded.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Baruch

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on January 29, 2018, 06:11:05 PM
Yes, yes, you're only pretending to be retarded.

I am really not progressive or retarded ... I am right here, right now.  I hate to be behind myself, and even more hate to be ahead of myself.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Stuck in the middle with you? :)
God Not Found

Hakurei Reimu

@Baruch
Sure, sugarplum. And because of the uncertainty principle, you will soon be zipping off to god-knows-where because your position is determined so precisely.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Munch

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Baruch

French fry?  Minion-flambe?  So sexually hot!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?