Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

On Miracles

Started by trdsf, January 09, 2018, 11:38:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 18, 2018, 06:32:53 AM
I saw film of a uranium atom once.

You saw what you were told is a uranium atom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSCX78-8-q0

Those atoms didn't take that configuration on their own.  People put them there.  Notice this shows a good view of the wave nature of particles, at least imaging them with waves.  Where one atom begins, and another one ends, is relative.  Is there such thing as a single isolated atom?  I think not.  There are points in space-time that are more atomic than others ... but empty space-time is packed with infinite virtual particles.

So yes, we can call what we see ... atoms, or call it a cheese sandwich.  We are doing the naming, the thing itself has no name.  And it isn't perceived except when someone sets up means to view it.  We have to take it on faith, that the so-called atom (which isn't un-cuttable at all) is really there when we aren't observing it.  And we understand that it changes what it is based on how we observe it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 18, 2018, 01:11:25 PM
You saw what you were told is a uranium atom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSCX78-8-q0

Those atoms didn't take that configuration on their own.  People put them there.  Notice this shows a good view of the wave nature of particles, at least imaging them with waves.  Where one atom begins, and another one ends, is relative.  Is there such thing as a single isolated atom?  I think not.  There are points in space-time that are more atomic than others ... but empty space-time is packed with infinite virtual particles.

So yes, we can call what we see ... atoms, or call it a cheese sandwich.  We are doing the naming, the thing itself has no name.  And it isn't perceived except when someone sets up means to view it.  We have to take it on faith, that the so-called atom (which isn't un-cuttable at all) is really there when we aren't observing it.  And we understand that it changes what it is based on how we observe it.

Well, aren't we anti-matter today! LOL...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

That is why positronic optimists quickly vanish in a flash of gamma ray pessimism.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 18, 2018, 08:51:01 PM
That is why positronic optimists quickly vanish in a flash of gamma ray pessimism.

Isaac Asimov once lectured at the Student Union at University Of Maryland (drunk as a skunk it seemed).   Some ome asked him how a positronic brain worked (in apparent seriousness), and he went livid. Basically, "How the hell should *I* know, I just invented it" for a story. 

And ever since then, I truly understood the difference between science and science fiction.  I love both, but I know the difference.

Baruch

Sometimes technology has to be imagined, before it can be developed.  But empirical results hold true.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 27, 2018, 03:06:51 PM
Sometimes technology has to be imagined, before it can be developed.  But empirical results hold true.

Isn't that ALWAYS so?

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 27, 2018, 03:14:57 PM
Isn't that ALWAYS so?

Some people lack imagination, others lack practicality.  It takes both.  The problem is people, not technology.  And technology can't solve that problem ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 27, 2018, 03:29:18 PM
Some people lack imagination, others lack practicality.  It takes both.  The problem is people, not technology.  And technology can't solve that problem ;-(

No, you were implying the development of a technology before it was imagined.  I can, though.  Can you think of one?

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 27, 2018, 03:33:09 PM
No, you were implying the development of a technology before it was imagined.  I can, though.  Can you think of one?

Speech.  That was an example of bootstrapping.  Eek!  Sqwak!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on January 27, 2018, 03:29:18 PM
Well, not yet, but soon...
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 27, 2018, 03:34:40 PM
Well, not yet, but soon...

The unbigoted Final Solution, is not a good solution.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Learning algorithms (machine learning) may soon be able to combine imagination with practicality. May not happen during our lifetime, though.
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 27, 2018, 03:42:13 PM
Learning algorithms (machine learning) may soon be able to combine imagination with practicality. May not happen during our lifetime, though.

You are lacking in learning, but not in hopium.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Hopium? Is that on the periodic table?
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 27, 2018, 03:46:39 PM
Hopium? Is that on the periodic table?

Right next to Unobtanium ... you need both to make positronic brains.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.