News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

On Miracles

Started by trdsf, January 09, 2018, 11:38:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

God, obviously...  He is the cause of everything we don't understand RIGHT NOW, right?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on January 10, 2018, 09:27:44 AM
Miracles don't exist.  But advanced technology might.
True, and true, and true.  But while you'd have a small rationalist community going "Huh, I wonder how that happened" and researchers all over the globe giving themselves fits trying to figure out the answer to that, you have many billions immediately assuming it was done by Jesus/YHWH/Allah/Krishna/etc. etc. etc.

And I bet you the first global casualty would be Jerusalem as millions crowd in there on pilgrimage from the Judeo-Christo-Islamic family of religions.  I wouldn't even give it a day before the mobs were openly warring in the streets, or a week before someone decided that their religion's claim would be stronger if the opposing Dome of the Rock/Wailing Wall/Church of the Holy Sepulchre didn't exist anymore and boom.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

According to Ambrose Bierce, a miracle is:

MIRACLE, n. An act or event out of the order of nature and unaccountable, as beating a normal hand of four kings and an ace with four aces and a king.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Blackleaf

If a god suddenly performed a miracle for all of the world to see, my first thought would be, "Where the FUCK have you been?" If a god exists, he's the first absent father in history.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Unbeliever

Yeah, and he pays no child support...
God Not Found

Cavebear

My dad had that niggling thought that there was "something out there"... 

Unbeliever

There's something out there alright, and this is it:

God Not Found

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 10, 2018, 01:57:42 PM
There's something out there alright, and this is it:

What movie is THAT mess from?

Unbeliever

No idea. Pretty ugly though, huh? Maybe that's what God looks like? It's how I often picture the damned thing.

God Not Found

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 10, 2018, 02:03:57 PM
No idea. Pretty ugly though, huh? Maybe that's what God looks like? It's how I often picture the damned thing.

I don't picture a deity.  It has to exist to be seen.  And I don't...

Unbeliever

OK, it seems to be from a mini-series called, appropriately enough, Something is Out There.
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 10, 2018, 01:26:52 PM
According to Ambrose Bierce, a miracle is:

MIRACLE, n. An act or event out of the order of nature and unaccountable, as beating a normal hand of four kings and an ace with four aces and a king.

Ambrose, Ambrose ... quite the cynical wit.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 10, 2018, 02:03:57 PM

G-d isn't inhuman, just more than human.  But demons see things your way.  They project their own hideousness onto others.  Just like in politics.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 10, 2018, 02:10:25 PM
OK, it seems to be from a mini-series called, appropriately enough, Something is Out There.

Yeah, scifi is so real.  How are things on the Nautilus, Capt Nemo?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on January 10, 2018, 11:27:38 AM
I remember back when I was very little and given some tiny plastic dogs that had magnets glued to their feet.  Scottish Terriers, I believe they were.  One was black and one was white, but I digress.  If you snuck one of the dogs up behind the other, one would spin around and face the other dog and attach itself quite strongly.  I knew it was the magnets that made it happen, but I remember puzzling for what seemed like years over why a special metal would be attracted to itself so that one end of the magnet attracted while the other end would repel.  Magnets aren't alive, but why would an inert lifeless metal have a force like that?  I didn't associate it with a miracle, but I really wondered why it could be.  I can now explain partially what causes magnetism, but yet I still can't explain the cause of the cause.  It must be...

You aren't an ancient Greek either, let alone Thales.  No, you can't explain anything ... you can assume an electron with a magnetic moment ... and that is something consistent with the Dirac equation.  But nobody understands quantum mechanics, so no, nobody understands the electron, or magnetic fields formed by electrons.  Everyone here is just like that guy with the 200+ IQ ... full of jargon, that has no real meaning.  Idiot savants, just like a talking ape would be.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.