News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Simon Sinek on Millennials in the Workforce

Started by Shiranu, January 08, 2018, 07:37:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

It's nice because unlike most people who criticize milennials, he isn't just saying, "Oh, they are lazy! Oh they are... bla bla bla bla blaaaa"... he is actually providing reasons, both from a scientific standpoint and from reasons that millenials themselves say.

Rather than being talked down to by someone who, frankly, has no idea what he is talking about... this is someone who is talking about the problems with millenials after actually listening to them and trying to understand them. It's refreshing, and it goes a million times further on getting us to listen than just telling us how perfect you are and how horrible we are.

(Edit: To an extent. I still think he leaves out a large part of why many of us are very apathetic and cynical; our economy is fucked, we are expected to be in debt, and far from being told we are special... we are generally told that there is no room in the workplace for us and don't really see any financially stable future. That I think is also a large part of our issue.)
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mike Cl

This just reminds me of how much I hate this--'The Greatest Generation!'.  WTF!!!  My ass.  First, there is no such thing.  Each generation (whatever the hell that is) has their own problems and they tackle them in their own ways--if that were not true, then we would have ceased being a country quite a few years (generations?) ago.  Yes, my dad's generation faced and overcame WWII.  But was it not that generation that allowed conditions to get to the point where a WW broke out?  I would venture to say that any generation faced with that set of problems in this country would have done as well.  Look at the generation that had to go to Nam.  The average grunt did as well as the average grunt in any other US war.  It was leadership that fucked it up.  Talking about what one generation does as opposed to another is nonproductive and for me, nonsensical.  Besides, who raises one generation?  The one that came before--so where did the new generation get it's values from????
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Munch

there will never be a 'greatest generation' or a 'utopia', because humanity is a collection of conflicting ideals, even people who are close will not share the same ideals.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on January 08, 2018, 10:36:16 AM
This just reminds me of how much I hate this--'The Greatest Generation!'.  WTF!!!  My ass.
It does sound a bit pretentious.  Especially considering how much it fucked things up.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on January 08, 2018, 11:45:48 AM
It does sound a bit pretentious.  Especially considering how much it fucked things up.

Technically it was the parents of the Greatest Generation that screwed things up or their grandparents.  Hitler wasn't 20 in 1940!  Churchill was old enough to be a grandfather when he became PM, Patton was that old too.

On the original topic, I find the many Millennials I work with, to be fine folk.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on January 08, 2018, 12:47:15 PM
On the original topic, I find the many Millennials I work with, to be fine folk.
They seem to be reasonable people to me, but I didn't realize they were looked down upon, and I don't know why they should be.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on January 08, 2018, 01:06:48 PM
They seem to be reasonable people to me, but I didn't realize they were looked down upon, and I don't know why they should be.

Go back to sleep, grandpa ;-)  They have been hated for years now, as Gen X was before them, and the Baby Boomers before that.  Eventually as people get olde, they outlive their vicious critics.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sal1981

Yes, let's lump people together as some sort of cohesive group, that'll work out nicely.

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on January 09, 2018, 06:11:15 AM
Yes, let's lump people together as some sort of cohesive group, that'll work out nicely.

Big Brother wants you to attend the "15 Minute Hate".  Stupid sheeple.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

Coincidentally I had lunch yesterday with a friend who started complaining about Millennials. His concerns were the stereotypical charges of entitlement, desire for immediate gratification and fiscal irresponsibility. I mentioned I felt one problem for Millennials was that higher education was needed for more middle-class jobs while the cost of higher education has risen much faster than household income. He said that wasn't true, which made me realize this person wasn't seeking reasoned discussion but commiseration regarding his general dissatisfaction with contemporary society.

Later out of curiosity, I looked up tuition rates. When I went to NC State University in 1984 the annual tuition and fees for in-state, full-time students was $726. Tuition is currently $9056. In the U.S in 1984, the median household income was $47,181 and in 2015 it was $55,775.

Baruch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on January 09, 2018, 01:00:54 PM
Coincidentally I had lunch yesterday with a friend who started complaining about Millennials. His concerns were the stereotypical charges of entitlement, desire for immediate gratification and fiscal irresponsibility. I mentioned I felt one problem for Millennials was that higher education was needed for more middle-class jobs while the cost of higher education has risen much faster than household income. He said that wasn't true, which made me realize this person wasn't seeking reasoned discussion but commiseration regarding his general dissatisfaction with contemporary society.

Later out of curiosity, I looked up tuition rates. When I went to NC State University in 1984 the annual tuition and fees for in-state, full-time students was $726. Tuition is currently $9056. In the U.S in 1984, the median household income was $47,181 and in 2015 it was $55,775.

Young people are still learning, and some never learn, from books or from mistakes ;-(  Also they are old enough, if they want advice, I will give it, but only if they ask.  I apply this to my daughter, who is in her 20s.  She will make mistakes, she will get hurt ... she might not even make it to 30, if her luck runs out.  But with her, I have found that is the only way she will learn.  By the time she is 30, she will realize her parents aren't so stupid after all.

When I went to a public college, tuition for two semesters was less than $500.  It is a lot more now at the same college.  I stayed on campus with a frat, for the first year (two semesters) .. and that was pretty disastrous.  So I lived at home and commuted for the remaining three years, and managed to squeak out a passing graduation.  I wasn't mature enough for school, and I didn't even get into too much mischief at the frat.  All of college (4 years) probably cost me $4000 total (in 1970s money) ... best investment ever, but then it was almost free.  Later when I went to a private college, it was a lot more expensive, but I got my employer to pay for it ;-)

But it does matter which school you go to, what you major in, and if you can get someone to pay for it for you.  Going into debt for it wasn't even conceivable (inconceivably bad idea that is) back then.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on January 09, 2018, 07:32:34 AM
Big Brother wants you to attend the "15 Minute Hate".  Stupid sheeple.
Jeez, it was only 2 minutes hate - how'd it get to 15?

The horrible thing about the Two Minutes Hate was not that one was obliged to act a part, but that it was impossible to avoid joining in. Within thirty seconds any pretence was always unnecessary. A hideous ecstasy of fear and vindictiveness, a desire to kill, to torture, to smash faces in with a sledge hammer, seemed to flow through the whole group of people like an electric current, turning one even against one's will into a grimacing, screaming lunatic. And yet the rage that one felt was an abstract, undirected emotion which could be switched from one object to another like the flame of a blowlamp.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 09, 2018, 07:13:49 PM
Jeez, it was only 2 minutes hate - how'd it get to 15?

If you didn't "get" Planet of the Apes ... we are the speaking apes, and the apes are the dumb humans.  A lot of us are gorillas.  Not enough 1% orangutans or 5% chimpanzees.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 09, 2018, 07:23:04 PM
Uhhh...OK...

In the original Mac intro ad, based on "1984" ... Steve Wozniak comes running thru the audience, and heaves a 128K Mac thru the projection screen with Steve Job's face on it ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.