Rotterdam confiscates expensive clothes from youth without cash

Started by Mr.Obvious, January 07, 2018, 09:08:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

ROTTERDAM
The Rotterdam police will be confiscating expenisive clothes from youth who can't prove where it's from. The ombuds  fears etnic profiling.

The police in Rotterdam has been employing a 'patseraanpak' [trans: 'going after showboats'], but until now it's been mainly reserved to expensive cars. Cops will now be trained to recognize expensive clothes, watches, shoes and such. This is a pilot project.

<<UNDRESS IN THE STREETS>>

Police chief Frank Pauw explained in 'De Telegraaf' [trans: 'The Telegraph', a newspaper] that it concerns youth who, for example, wear an outfit worth 1.500 euro, while they don't have an income or even have debts. When the suspiscion arises that there is criminal behavior in play and the owner can't proof he bought the clothes, he must turn them over.
<<It's mostly young men who concider themselves untouchable. We are going to undress them in the streets.>>, says Pauw in De Telegraaf. <<An expensive coat like that is what a speedboat is to a succesful druglord. We're going to be asking explicit questions about the origins.>>
The police will be working together with the prosecution. Only the court can decide on confiscations.

ETNIC PROFILING

The township ombudsperson Anne Mieke Zwanenveld is not on board with the project. She fears that mostly youth from foreign origin will be the focus of this all, on the basis of the color of their skin.
Taking a watch goest to far for her, but the 'patseraanpak' of expensive cars is not a problem. <<With cars you can see who is the owner and you can objectively decide on the current value>>, she explains. <<And besides has it always been the case in the 'patseraanpak' that there had to be sufficient indications. When there are indications that people traffic in drugs or firearms, you naturally don't want those revenues to be cashed by those people.>>

Source: Schwarz, T., Rotterdam pakt dure kledij af van jongeren zonder geld. Metro nr.3738, 5 januari 2018, p. 5.

Translated to give me some practice with english. And because I found it interesting.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/sessions-greenlights-police-to-increase-seizures-of-cash-and-property-from-suspected-criminals/2017/07/19/3522a9ba-6c99-11e7-96ab-5f38140b38cc_story.html?utm_term=.48a47d140fc4

Just copying the US.  Will you Europeans ever learn?  Welcome to the New Visigoths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_forfeiture_in_the_United_States

We are a nation of thugs, including police thugs.  I make sure I carry nothing of value in public, and no large amount of cash in my car or person.  Any large amount I can make into a cashier's check, which is for bank transfers (electronic transfer has a fee).  And I take the cashier's check directly from bank to bank.  I expect eventually, the police will be allowed to force you to go to an ATM or bank, and extract money from your debit card or credit card.  Already they can seize your bank accounts or real estate at will.  Basically suspicion is enough, no civil rights allowed going back to Bill of Rights, Declaration of Independence or Magna Carta.  And what is a crime?  Anything the government defines it as, at will.

And no, I am not a drug dealer.  A neighboring small town has made significant municipal revenue, by seizing passing vehicles, that are being used to transport illegal aliens .. and I suppose the people caught are actually guilty.  Ethnic profiling is used in that case, of course.  Sessions is a good example of a psychopathic leader type.  His #1 priority is stopping weed ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on January 07, 2018, 09:08:38 AMPolice chief Frank Pauw explained in 'De Telegraaf' [trans: 'The Telegraph', a newspaper] that it concerns youth who, for example, wear an outfit worth 1.500 euro, while they don't have an income or even have debts.
Only one and a half euros?  That's not much at all.  That's only a little over a pound.  My shoes weigh more than that.

Kidding aside, this is a terrible idea.  It's trendy (since always) to wear expensive clothes.  This, by itself, doesn't necessarily indicate criminal activity.  Counterintuitively, it's usually people who in truth, aren't very well off who try to show off this way.  So basically, the cops are just targeting people with poor judgment, not criminals.

QuoteWhen the suspiscion arises that there is criminal behavior in play and the owner can't proof he bought the clothes, he must turn them over.
I'm curious to know what exactly the expected scenario is here.

Youth walks out of the mall and a cop pulls him aside and points a gun at his face.
Cop:  "Receipt, now!!"
*panicked youth fumbles with his pockets*
Cop grab's youth's cuff. "Is this Armanii?"
Youth:  "Wha...?"
Cop:  "Is this Armanii?!"
Youth:  "What?"
Cop puts gun in youth's mouth.  Cop: "Say what again, I dare you!"

And then the rest of it is just Pulp Fiction.  I get distracted easily.

Mr.Obvious

"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

AllPurposeAtheist

Here in the land of the free and home of the brave police can arbitrasrily seize all of your property on the spot for nothing more than suspecting you're involved in any kind of illicit activity and the great part is they get to keep all of it without proof of any wrongdoing on your part whatsoever.. Nice car? Nice house?  Sorry, we suspect it's from illicit activities.. Fuck you very much..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Baruch

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on January 12, 2018, 09:13:31 PM
Here in the land of the free and home of the brave police can arbitrasrily seize all of your property on the spot for nothing more than suspecting you're involved in any kind of illicit activity and the great part is they get to keep all of it without proof of any wrongdoing on your part whatsoever.. Nice car? Nice house?  Sorry, we suspect it's from illicit activities.. Fuck you very much..

More assets are confiscated in the US per year now, than are lost to robberies and burglaries.  If you don't want to be robbed, have nothing.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on January 07, 2018, 09:08:38 AM

ROTTERDAM
The Rotterdam police will be confiscating expenisive clothes from youth who can't prove where it's from. The ombuds  fears etnic profiling.

The police in Rotterdam has been employing a 'patseraanpak' [trans: 'going after showboats'], but until now it's been mainly reserved to expensive cars. Cops will now be trained to recognize expensive clothes, watches, shoes and such. This is a pilot project.

<<UNDRESS IN THE STREETS>>

Police chief Frank Pauw explained in 'De Telegraaf' [trans: 'The Telegraph', a newspaper] that it concerns youth who, for example, wear an outfit worth 1.500 euro, while they don't have an income or even have debts. When the suspiscion arises that there is criminal behavior in play and the owner can't proof he bought the clothes, he must turn them over.
<<It's mostly young men who concider themselves untouchable. We are going to undress them in the streets.>>, says Pauw in De Telegraaf. <<An expensive coat like that is what a speedboat is to a succesful druglord. We're going to be asking explicit questions about the origins.>>
The police will be working together with the prosecution. Only the court can decide on confiscations.

ETNIC PROFILING

The township ombudsperson Anne Mieke Zwanenveld is not on board with the project. She fears that mostly youth from foreign origin will be the focus of this all, on the basis of the color of their skin.
Taking a watch goest to far for her, but the 'patseraanpak' of expensive cars is not a problem. <<With cars you can see who is the owner and you can objectively decide on the current value>>, she explains. <<And besides has it always been the case in the 'patseraanpak' that there had to be sufficient indications. When there are indications that people traffic in drugs or firearms, you naturally don't want those revenues to be cashed by those people.>>

Source: Schwarz, T., Rotterdam pakt dure kledij af van jongeren zonder geld. Metro nr.3738, 5 januari 2018, p. 5.

Translated to give me some practice with english. And because I found it interesting.

Well, in English, it is "ethnic", if that helps.

And I would be safe there; I wear really cheap clothes...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 18, 2018, 02:33:12 PM
It is easier to pretend I am a bum, if I are one ;-)

It is easier for a fat man to pass through the hole in a doughnut than to pass a needle through the eye of a camel. 

PickelledEggs

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: PickelledEggs on January 19, 2018, 06:06:31 PM
IDK, man.... I think in some cases, its needed.

I can't decide whether to laugh at the guy wearing that nonsense or ask to share in the money he got for wearing that.

To all...  How much money would it take for YOU to do that runway walk?

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Cavebear on January 24, 2018, 04:24:51 AM
I can't decide whether to laugh at the guy wearing that nonsense or ask to share in the money he got for wearing that.
Why not both?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Cavebear

Quote from: PickelledEggs on January 24, 2018, 04:26:15 AM
Why not both?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Both is possible.  Maybe that is why he looks so unhappy.