Author Topic: Education, Not Income, Predicted Trump's Victory  (Read 3308 times)

Offline trdsf

Re: Education, Not Income, Predicted Trump's Victory
« Reply #90 on: February 13, 2018, 04:27:34 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Yeah, but as a simple buyer and holder for decades, when I finally wanted to sell off for retirement assurity, I had to face capital gains for just shifting Vanguard stocks to Vanguard bonds and CDs.  And trying to understand THOSE rules cost me $80K.

That doesn't seem right either.
Capital gains is a completely different animal from a transaction tax, though.

The transaction tax is generally very small individually, and only becomes large because of overall trade volume.

Belgium, for example, has a transaction tax of 0.27% with a cap of €1,600 per transaction -- hardly onerous, since €1,600 is 0.27% of nearly €600,000.  A €60,000 transaction would have a tax of €160; a €6,000 trade a tax of €16.  France, on the other hand, does a transaction tax of 0.2% on stock purchases of French publicly traded companies with a market value over €1 billion, presumably to not discourage investment in small cap companies.  I can't find any way to consider that a hefty burden.
Sir Terry Pratchett, on being told about the theory that the universe is a computer simulation: "If we all get out and in again, would it start to work properly this time?"

Offline Cavebear

Re: Education, Not Income, Predicted Trump's Victory
« Reply #91 on: February 15, 2018, 03:34:42 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
What can I say, I was just thinking outside the box...

If we could reduce gerrymandering, the voting box would work better...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk