Education, Not Income, Predicted Trump's Victory

Started by Shiranu, January 07, 2018, 07:33:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 07, 2018, 07:46:17 AM
My securities gained 3% while the stocks tanked.  How have you been doing?

I don't invest.  If I had any money, it would be far safer under my mattress.  My attack cats protect it.

Thanks to the Fed, anything that makes better than 1% interest, since 2008 is wild speculation.  Public pensions, based on pre-2008 estimated average 8% interest are Potemkin villages a long time now.  Read up on the Dallas Police pension ... the rats are jumping ship.  The budget overrun and banking bailouts have been funded by ... stealth draining pensions, CDs etc.  In 2008-2009 ... the US kited a 14 trillion dollar check, and you and I get to pay for it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 07, 2018, 12:35:34 PM
I don't invest.  If I had any money, it would be far safer under my mattress.  My attack cats protect it.

Thanks to the Fed, anything that makes better than 1% interest, since 2008 is wild speculation.  Public pensions, based on pre-2008 estimated average 8% interest are Potemkin villages a long time now.  Read up on the Dallas Police pension ... the rats are jumping ship.  The budget overrun and banking bailouts have been funded by ... stealth draining pensions, CDs etc.  In 2008-2009 ... the US kited a 14 trillion dollar check, and you and I get to pay for it.

Lost $40K today.  But it will come back.  Only the suckers are bailing out now.

But it was never money I actually had to begin with.  Stock money is all hypothetical until you sell.  By 2016 standards, I am WAY up...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 09, 2018, 02:40:15 AM
Lost $40K today.  But it will come back.  Only the suckers are bailing out now.

But it was never money I actually had to begin with.  Stock money is all hypothetical until you sell.  By 2016 standards, I am WAY up...

Correct.  But sorry for your paper loses anyway.  I have compassion, even for speculators ... not just investors like you.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 09, 2018, 07:00:54 AM
Correct.  But sorry for your paper loses anyway.  I have compassion, even for speculators ... not just investors like you.

It's the day traders I smile at.  The market goes down and they panic-sell.  Then it goes up a little and they are afraid to miss a high point.  Then down and they sell and up and they buy.

That's why I gain just holding on to my manicles and waiting out the volativity.  LOL!

Baruch

Usually ignoring volatility is wise, and trying to chase tops and bottoms is a fools game.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on February 13, 2018, 02:42:00 AM
It's the day traders I smile at.  The market goes down and they panic-sell.  Then it goes up a little and they are afraid to miss a high point.  Then down and they sell and up and they buy.

That's why I gain just holding on to my manicles and waiting out the volativity.  LOL!
S'truth.  The best investment strategy is patience.

Unfortunately, for much of the business world, 'long-term' means thinking about lunch when it's already 10:30 in the morning.  Also, they'd rather make a nickel right now than a dollar tomorrow.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on February 13, 2018, 09:20:52 AM

Unfortunately, for much of the business world, 'long-term' means thinking about lunch when it's already 10:30 in the morning.  Also, they'd rather make a nickel right now than a dollar tomorrow.

I suspect (without proof) that the ups and downs by dedicated daily trader balance out AND THE PROGRAMS DONT ACTUALLY MAKE MUCH DIFFERENCE IN THE STOCK MARKET OVERALL.

It moves by the totality of the owners usually.  Not this month, though!

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on February 13, 2018, 02:42:00 AM
These traders are also the reason I support a transaction tax.  Might cause them to stop and think first.  And if it doesn't, well, if you can't fix stupid, you should at least hold them accountable for the mess they make.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on February 13, 2018, 11:04:14 AM
These traders are also the reason I support a transaction tax.  Might cause them to stop and think first.  And if it doesn't, well, if you can't fix stupid, you should at least hold them accountable for the mess they make.

Yeah, but as a simple buyer and holder for decades, when I finally wanted to sell off for retirement assurity, I had to face capital gains for just shifting Vanguard stocks to Vanguard bonds and CDs.  And trying to understand THOSE rules cost me $80K.

That doesn't seem right either.

Unbeliever

Quote from: trdsf on February 13, 2018, 11:04:14 AM
you should at least hold them accountable for the mess they make.
Hold them accountable!? What a revolutionary concept!
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on February 13, 2018, 09:20:52 AM

Time value of money.  Money is worth much more in the past, even than in the present.  That is a good motivation to build a time machine.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 13, 2018, 12:13:07 PM
Yeah, but as a simple buyer and holder for decades, when I finally wanted to sell off for retirement assurity, I had to face capital gains for just shifting Vanguard stocks to Vanguard bonds and CDs.  And trying to understand THOSE rules cost me $80K.

That doesn't seem right either.

Blame the geniuses in Congress.  Bad legislation for over 200 years now.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 13, 2018, 01:20:07 PM

I would be happy if legislators were held accountable, but the damn voters ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 13, 2018, 01:23:47 PM
I would be happy if legislators were held accountable, but the damn voters ...

We don't need smarter politicians.  They are too "smart" for their own damn good already.  What we need are smarter voters.  And it wouldn't take much "smarter" to make a real difference.

trdsf

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 13, 2018, 01:20:07 PM
What can I say, I was just thinking outside the box...