Education, Not Income, Predicted Trump's Victory

Started by Shiranu, January 07, 2018, 07:33:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: omokuroi on January 16, 2018, 01:21:12 PM
It's unfortunate, but any Supreme Court is sort of a threat to progressive ideals. Research has been converging on the idea that being in a position of judicial power makes you more conservative, too.

No subconscious motivation to share or play nice if you hold almost all the cards already.

In most decades of US history, SCOTUS is quite conservative indeed.  Only FDR gerrymandering it, caused any racial progress at all.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

omokuroi

Quote from: trdsf on January 16, 2018, 01:30:25 PM
Actually, there's a considerable body of evidence that Supreme Court justices tend to move leftwards over the course of their time on the bench -- this is not the same as moving to a politically liberal position, but they usually retire or die occupying a political position that is either less conservative or more liberal than where they started.
That is new to me, but it only suggests that they move left after they become a Supreme Court justice. There's still good evidence that 1) being in a position of advantage makes you more conservative (especially on economic issues), and 2) defense attorneys are far left, prosecutors are fairly left, low-level judges are fairly right, and high-level judges are far right... relative to the legal profession as a whole.

Baruch

Quote from: omokuroi on January 16, 2018, 01:54:44 PM
That is new to me, but it only suggests that they move left after they become a Supreme Court justice. There's still good evidence that 1) being in a position of advantage makes you more conservative (especially on economic issues), and 2) defense attorneys are far left, prosecutors are fairly left, low-level judges are fairly right, and high-level judges are far right... relative to the legal profession as a whole.

In my experience, being old, or getting older makes you more conservative on average.  SCOTUS is old folks, getting older.  I don't see any chance of Benjamin Button being on the bench.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Too bad Harry Stone doesn't really exist - now there was a good judge!
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 16, 2018, 02:14:27 PM
Too bad Harry Stone doesn't really exist - now there was a good judge!

I prefer the blonde with the English royalty fetish ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Actually, I liked Selma a lot. She once quit smoking for half an hour, but said she didn't feel a bit better.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

orcus

Quote from: Mike Cl on January 16, 2018, 12:47:35 PM
Smacks of trumpie/racist drive by.  Well, keep on driving..............................

Yes because you have to be racist and "trumpie" to think these people are fucking morons and that they should be punished for their criminal antics.

omokuroi

Quote from: orcus on January 16, 2018, 04:21:19 PM
Yes because you have to be racist and "trumpie" to think these people are fucking morons and that they should be punished for their criminal antics.
Crimes don't actually exist, so generally when people say something about "punishing criminals" what they're actually saying is "beat up people who don't share my values."

That does kind of imply you're racist.

Hydra009

Quote from: omokuroi on January 16, 2018, 04:38:16 PM
Crimes don't actually exist, so generally when people say something about "punishing criminals"
True, but the activity exists and engaging in it has been deemed to be criminal.

Somehow, I doubt I could argue my way out of a speeding ticket by telling the cop that traffic laws are artificial constructs.

Quotewhat they're actually saying is "beat up people who don't share my values."

Dafuq is this nonsense??

P1:  laws are artificial constructs
P2:  ???
C:  The President isn't beholden to the law.

omokuroi

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 16, 2018, 05:14:34 PM
True [, ...] laws are artificial constructs.

Dafuq is this nonsense??
Follow the white rabbit.

Laws are constructs.

Why are they constructed?

Because someone wants them to be.

Who wants them to be enforced? People who agree with them or find them beneficial.

Who breaks them? People who don't agree with them or find them detrimental.

If someone is very vocal about wanting laws to be enforced when it would disproportionately fall on the heads of minority "racial" groups or their allies, that person is most likely racist. Not every time, though.

orcus

Crimes don't actually exist, so generally when people say something about "punishing criminals" what they're actually saying is "beat up people who don't share my values."

If there's no crime then it doesn't matter if I'm racist or anything else, isn't that one natural conclusion of what you're saying?

Also, I'm beginning to feel as if this campus leftism is in a way a protocol of secession. I say fucking go for it, secede from America and starve in like 4 weeks. It will be hilarious.

Baruch

Quote from: orcus on January 16, 2018, 06:15:44 PM
If there's no crime then it doesn't matter if I'm racist or anything else, isn't that one natural conclusion of what you're saying?

Also, I'm beginning to feel as if this campus leftism is in a way a protocol of secession. I say fucking go for it, secede from America and starve in like 4 weeks. It will be hilarious.

We will eat your flesh, drink your blood and piss on your remains ... don't provoke werewolves or zombies.  Of course Democrats are secessionists, they always have been ... 1776, 1861 etc.  I look forward to California being under Federal occupation for 10 years, just like Georgia 1865 - 1875.  Georgians were involved in human trafficking back then, and Californios are involved in human trafficking today.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

The majority always virtue signal, that they aren't criminals.  I know better.  The majority can be criminal in a very ferocious way.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

omokuroi

Quote from: orcus on January 16, 2018, 06:15:44 PM
Yep, that's what I'm saying.

I mean, there are social consequences to appearing racist to the wrong people, though. Whether it's true or not. Which makes it another case of "it's only a crime if you get caught."

Baruch

Quote from: omokuroi on January 16, 2018, 07:14:57 PM
Yep, that's what I'm saying.

I mean, there are social consequences to appearing racist to the wrong people, though. Whether it's true or not. Which makes it another case of "it's only a crime if you get caught."

Without perception, people are just dumb animals.  But our perception of the same things, differs.  Hence conflict.  I simply don't care if someone is taller or shorter than I am.  I don't think I am superior or inferior to someone because of height.  But because I am not a violent advocate for dwarf liberation (ala French Revolution) doesn't mean I am a fellow traveler .. of heightism.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.