News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The Standard Theory

Started by Baruch, January 06, 2018, 07:16:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 02, 2018, 01:45:27 PM
I look at patterns, not numbers. Although when considering a tactical move numbers are involved, such as how many pieces I have threatening a square and how many my opponent has defending it, but mostly it's the patterns that count. When you get right down to it though, according to Max Tegmark (and others), there exists nothing but number in the universe.

Sure.  The only component of the universe is Pythagoras, who died about 2500 years ago ;-)

All "theory of everything" I think, per SGOS recent question, are bridges too far.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on February 02, 2018, 05:37:57 AM
Which is why I stopped playing computers at chess.  Part of chess is the threat that causes your opponent to move, sometimes to disadvantage. 

A player can be caused to worry about a threat; a computer can't.

And there is another thing that annoys me about playing chess against a computer.  To make the computer "play equal" to me, the computer has to DELIBERATELY make some errors.  DELIBERATELY!  That's cheating.
And yet, it took until Deep Blue in 1997 for a computer to beat a reigning world champion under regular time controls.  Clearly there's more to the game than just data crunching.  Kasparov himself said some of the computer's moves suggested genuine thought and creativity, although I think that's unlikely.

Interestingly, relative to your last point, Nate Silver suggests that it was a flaw in the software that led to Deep Blue's 44th move in game 1 of the rematch, the one that blew Kasparov's mind and may have shaken him enough to cost him the match.  Silver suggests that Deep Blue simply was unable to come up with a most optimal move, and instead played a 'fail safe' move.  Kasparov thought it was so counterintuitive a play, either the machine was really thinking, or a human was intervening.  After that, he lost twice, drew thrice, and went down 3½-2½.

I was working for IBM at the time.  The intranet coverage was wonderful.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

Now they have Alpha Zero, that seems to play even more intuitively sometimes.

Alpha Zero’s “Alien” Chess Shows the Power, and the Peculiarity, of AI

QuoteThe latest advance from DeepMind behaves in a very surprising way. Expect other AI systems to be just as odd.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Jason78

Quote from: Cavebear on February 02, 2018, 12:24:47 PM
Threatening your opponent.  Watching him ("usually him") sweat on a move.  Seeing the uncertainty of his moves.  Knowing when the Knight is more dangerous than the Bishop.

Threat levels are quantifiable.   
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

trdsf

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 04, 2018, 05:13:36 PM
Now they have Alpha Zero, that seems to play even more intuitively sometimes.

Alpha Zero’s “Alien” Chess Shows the Power, and the Peculiarity, of AI
This actually shouldn't be a surprise.  There's a sort of assumption that when we talk about an artificial intelligence, we're talking about an artificial human-like intelligence (which I will abbreviate AHLI), like HAL 9000 without the murderous streak (or with it, depending on your thinking about AI).

The thing is, our sensory input is necessarily a part of what makes up our intelligence.  I don't think we'll ever have an AHLI until we can give the machine at least one of the senses we take for granted, and probably more than one.  We can have an AI without that, but we shouldn't expect it to 'think' (and I use the term with caution) like we do because it doesn't experience information input like we do.

So I'm not at all surprised that Alpha Zero doesn't play chess in a recognizable way, but still plays it extremely well.  It doesn't experience the game like we do, assuming it "experiences" the game in any manner we understand.  It wasn't taught by a grandmaster with his/her own personality and prejudices, it didn't read the literature, it doesn't have an experience of the history of the game, it has no concept of personally looking foolish, and it doesn't have an opinion about whether a move "looks weird".  It just has an analysis chain that says this works, and whether it's a theoretical novelty or not is of no relevance whatsoever.

I doubt that Alpha Zero is sentient on any level that we would recognize as sentience in a living entity.  However, it may force us to widen our perspective on what does and does not constitute intelligent behaviorâ€"in the age of SETI, this is probably a good thing.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Cavebear on February 02, 2018, 01:37:19 PM
Ask Mr.Obvious about that...  We have quite a game going.

Next time we play in one setting, with facecam. ;)
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on February 04, 2018, 03:05:51 PM
And yet, it took until Deep Blue in 1997 for a computer to beat a reigning world champion under regular time controls.  Clearly there's more to the game than just data crunching.  Kasparov himself said some of the computer's moves suggested genuine thought and creativity, although I think that's unlikely.

Interestingly, relative to your last point, Nate Silver suggests that it was a flaw in the software that led to Deep Blue's 44th move in game 1 of the rematch, the one that blew Kasparov's mind and may have shaken him enough to cost him the match.  Silver suggests that Deep Blue simply was unable to come up with a most optimal move, and instead played a 'fail safe' move.  Kasparov thought it was so counterintuitive a play, either the machine was really thinking, or a human was intervening.  After that, he lost twice, drew thrice, and went down 3½-2½.

I was working for IBM at the time.  The intranet coverage was wonderful.

Well, yes.  I wasn't playing a really good computer.  I meant more that I can't beat even a weak computer program.  I depend a lot on making confusing situations.  A computer doesn't care, but a person does.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!