Author Topic: New atom smasher to replace LHC....  (Read 820 times)

New atom smasher to replace LHC....
« on: June 15, 2013, 09:34:34 PM »
New 31-km-long International Linear Collider ready for construction
Jun 12, 2013
  • Today the Linear Collider Collaboration published its Technical Design Report [PDF] for the International Linear Collider (ILC) - a proposed 31-kilometer electron-positron collider that will both complement and advance beyond the physics of the Large Hadron Collider.

• source: Phys.org
      Notes: Sweet ehh??

Offline kilodelta

Re: New atom smasher to replace LHC....
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 09:55:28 PM »
Japan wants it just so that they can resurrect Godzilla. That's the real reason it's called the "god particle."
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

Offline Colanth

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 09:58:13 PM »
The SCSC was to be 87km in circumference, with an energy of 20 TeV.  Since a lot of the work has already been done, why not just open that project again?

Oh, too simple a solution, probably.  Let's spend trillions more for 1/40th the energy.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Offline stromboli

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 10:58:19 PM »
The SCSC is in Texas. I don't know how far along it was, but since it was canceled in 1993, 20 years ago, I'm guessing to restart it and upgrade it to modern technical advances might not be all that cost effective. I'm not a Physicist, but I can see arguments for not restarting it.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Colanth

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 07:35:21 PM »
Assuming that the excavation is completely filled in, and they have to start from scratch, is it more expensive to use land you already own, or to buy land?
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk