News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

A Few Questions

Started by SB Leader, January 04, 2018, 07:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aitm

A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Munch

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Blackleaf

Quote from: Munch on February 13, 2018, 08:16:30 PM

If emotions are little people inside of your head, then are those emotions' emotions also little people in their heads? And what about their emotions' emotions' emotions? Where does it end!? How--

[Blackleaf.exe has stopped working]

[Check online for a solution to the problem (warning: this never works)]                             [Close program]                                                       
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Cavebear

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 13, 2018, 11:25:15 PM
If emotions are little people inside of your head, then are those emotions' emotions also little people in their heads? And what about their emotions' emotions' emotions? Where does it end!? How--

[Blackleaf.exe has stopped working]

[Check online for a solution to the problem (warning: this never works)]                             [Close program]                                                       

And our universe is just another atom in a bigger one and the reverse,,,
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Simon Moon

Quote from: SB Leader on January 04, 2018, 07:46:42 PM
Hello all,

My name is Zach, or SB Leader as my gaming name goes. This is not my first time on this forum as I interacted for a short stint during a research project for my undergraduate work in 2014. Now, in my graduate studies, I have returned with a few non-threatening questions for a project I am compiling for an Apologetics course (They are actually much the same questions as before!). My goal is, as Francis of Assisi once said, "not so much to be understood as to understand." I will interact as much as possible, but please forgive me for inevitably missing a few things.

Not sure why you include the phrase "a few non-threatening questions". There is no question I have ever gotten from a theist, that is threatening.

One of my theist relatives usually includes similar phrases when they discuss god beliefs with me. After digging a bit on why they use that phrase, I found it comes from their pastor (or Bible), and his claim that atheists already know god exists. As if my relative's questions are going to threaten my atheism.

Is this the source of your use?

QuoteAnswer in as much or as little detail as you'd like. Here are my questions (Forgive the sometimes awkward wording! I understand that I may find members of this community who are not completely atheist and they are meant to be worded as generally as possible):

1. -How would you describe your religious background and church involvement?

Basic religious background, services once a week, other religious study a couple times a month.

I have nothing but good memories from my religious background, and still have several good friends from that time. I surf with several of them quite regularly.

Quote2. -To you, what is God like? Describe God. Or if you do not believe in God, then: what is important in life?

It is not up to me to define a god that I don't believe exists. If I am getting into a discussion with a theist on the subject, I will always ask them to define the god they believe exists, and to provide me with the reasons they believe.

I don't want to be accused of arguing against a strawman.

There many things important to me. Family, friends, health, freedom, music, surfing, travel, good food, etc, etc. Probably most of the same things that are important to you.

Quote3.-Describe what the term Jesus Christ means to you.

A Latin form of the name Yeshua. Possibly a historical figure, that had his life mythicized into that of a god-man. 

The original person that the Biblical stories are based on, would almost assuredly not recognise himself in the character in the Bible.

Quote4.-What defines what is good and bad? How are we able to know?

Good is defined by actions made by a moral agent, that positively effect the well being of other humans. Bad is defined by actions made by a moral agent, that negatively effect the well being of others.

There is quite a bit more to it than that.

If you are interested, google "the superiority of secular morality" for a great talk by Matt Dillahunty.

Quote5.-What to you is the most significant issue with the Christian church? The most significant benefit from the same church?

Issues:

Indoctrination of children too young to make their own choices, and to understand what they are being told.
Tax free status.
Persecution of certain people, based on "Biblical morality".
The ability to get otherwise moral people, to make excuses for the (condoned) slavery, genocide, rape, misogyny in the Bible.

Benefits:

The only benefit I can think of, is comfort and help for the "ingroup".

There is not a single other benefit I can think of, that is something that can not be achieved by secular means.
And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

SGOS

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 13, 2018, 11:25:15 PM
I don't know, but I think that movie was the most creative animation I have ever seen.  It should be given an Academy Award every year, as the best animated film ever made.

Cavebear

Quote from: SB Leader on February 12, 2018, 12:35:02 PM
Hello again friends! I wanted to pop back in to affirm that I am indeed alive. It was certainly the worst flu of my life and I wound up lying in bed for almost two weeks straight. I like to think I'm a strapping young man, so it certainly took me by surprise...

I wanted to let you know that I read each of your responses and took some time to consider them as well. You all have taught me and for that I am grateful. My graduate work presses onward and as I have continued, I have made a point to move away from "churched" language (Which can sometimes be self-evidential--I have made a point to notice and correct this in my own work!) and to address issues with an appreciation for opposing study (As suggested by Mike CL, Richard Carrier has found a way into my studies and while find much of his work to be lacking, I believe his perspective *has* to be addressed. And addressed well).

I appreciate your perspective, but I especially appreciate your stories. Evidence, reason, and sourcing matter, but what I believe matters immeasurably more is a person: their complexities, their richness of personality, and their background. The Bible says that man is made in the image of God and that means that each person bears value and significance and a vibrancy in life beyond anything we can fathom. One more thing, this community values truth so highly! I am impressed and inspired by that!

I humbly apologize again for not doing justice to your questions and responses--I feel as though at this point addressing some and not others would do a disservice to all and my lack of time would compel me to do just that. Considering the distance and coldness of the internet, you all have been pleasant hosts. I hope to cross paths with you in the future!

Get the vaccine next year.

Unbeliever

Would having been sick with the flu this year be similar to being vaccinated?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 28, 2018, 02:05:40 PM

The hard way to be vaccinated.  Unfortunately the damn bug mutates every year.  Like a politician.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 28, 2018, 02:05:40 PM

Nope.  To put it most easily, there are dozens of varieties of what are called Hs and Ns in the flu (H2N3, H6N2, etc), and even those change slightly every year.  Though you can have a partial immunity to some for a while.  And some people may interestingly be immune to most.  I haven't had any variety of flu since I was about 12, and I was up ad around while my brother lay in bed in misery for a week.

My friends who catch the flu HATE me.  LOL!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 28, 2018, 02:39:39 PM
Nope.  To put it most easily, there are dozens of varieties of what are called Hs and Ns in the flu (H2N3, H6N2, etc), and even those change slightly every year.  Though you can have a partial immunity to some for a while.  And some people may interestingly be immune to most.  I haven't had any variety of flu since I was about 12, and I was up ad around while my brother lay in bed in misery for a week.

My friends who catch the flu HATE me.  LOL!

Or are you a carrier? ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 28, 2018, 08:16:32 PM
Or are you a carrier? ;-)

Probably not.  My friends don't get it from me either.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on March 03, 2018, 01:40:53 AM
Probably not.  My friends don't get it from me either.

Well that is good.  Typhoid Cave Bear would be too long a handle.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on March 03, 2018, 01:55:48 AM
Well that is good.  Typhoid Cave Bear would be too long a handle.

Well, we should get this straight.  You suggested I was carrying the flu to others and I pointed out that I wasn't.  And now you vaguely suggest I was Typhoid Cave Bear.  Never mind it is "Cavebear" not "Cave Bear", (as you so repeatedly and stupidly like to say),  I also have never infected another. 

Or would you prefer Ba Ru Ch...

To you get tired of being wrong, or does it just roll off your back?

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on March 03, 2018, 03:32:20 AM
Well, we should get this straight.  You suggested I was carrying the flu to others and I pointed out that I wasn't.  And now you vaguely suggest I was Typhoid Cave Bear.  Never mind it is "Cavebear" not "Cave Bear", (as you so repeatedly and stupidly like to say),  I also have never infected another. 

Or would you prefer Ba Ru Ch...

To you get tired of being wrong, or does it just roll off your back?

You misread ... being a carrier usually means ... has disease but shows no symptoms, so acts to unconsciously spread disease being carried,  I didn't claim TCB (Typhoid CaveBear) I disclaimed it, a joke (and happy you aren't with a disease but minus the symptoms).  The original Typhoid Mary had to be locked up by public health.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.