Protests in Iran: Woman removes Hijab in defiance

Started by Munch, January 04, 2018, 02:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv3462_dORE

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/iran-protests-latest-update-tehran-woman-hijab-remove-islamic-dress-code-anti-government-hassan-a8137541.html

Surprised this hasn't picked up any attention.

See to me, this womans a hero, she's someone defying the oppressive law of her country at the risk of death, a law thats been in place for 40 years.

It also reminds me how a certain woman, living in america, used the same hijab, not an item of clothing worthy of respect, but one that oppresses women, as a symbol for her campaign.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qFqwmpCqIg

As the man says, the woman standing up for her rights in iran is what a real feminist looks like.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hydra009

Do women wear hijab because they want to or because they're forced/pressured to?

This situation is definitely a tally mark under column B.

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 04, 2018, 02:59:50 PM
Do women wear hijab because they want to or because they're forced/pressured to?

This situation is definitely a tally mark under column B.

they've been forced to wear it in those regions for the last 40 years under law.

This is why when I see women in america, uk and other European countries wearing these things, saying its their right to have it, that to me sounds like some very confused women who don't understand what the hijab actually is, pretty much indoctrinated by it.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Blackleaf

Women in America have the right to wear what they want. That doesn't change the fact that their religion is sexist and oppressive for putting pressure on women to dress a certain way. In the same way, Christian women have the right to marry a man who thinks he has divinely commanded authority over her, but the religion that tells her she has to do that is still sexist and oppressive.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hakurei Reimu

I find it bizarre that western women would wear the hijab at all. The only way I can make sense of it is that they're expressing solidarity with muslim women who are by law required to wear them. I guess that has its place, but I would have chosen a better way to express that sentiment.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Hijiri Byakuren

Taking off her hijab in Iran? This woman's got bigger balls than I do.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Unbeliever

I hope she'll be OK - those Muslim men can't seem to control their lust when seeing any female skin at all - thus the need for complete coverage of the female anatomy.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Shiranu

QuoteAs the man says, the woman standing up for her rights in iran is what a real feminist looks like.

Damn it, I was nearly 100% with you until this remark. Still, 85%+ agreement between the two of us is pretty damn impressive. Wasn't able to make it through the video unfortunately, but the story is what is important anyways.

Only thing I really disagree with besides that is that wearing a hijab in America is feminist as well; it's a woman saying she has the right to wear what she wants. I know women who wear them because they don't like being sexualized; when they are at work, or in public, they want to be respected for their acts, and not how they look, and personally I think that is a more than legitimate reason. They are saying they want to be treated equally as men; for us, it's generally our social status and achievements that are viewed first, then our attractiveness (unless you are just a complete hunk).

That seems to be the overwhelming opinion of hijabi I have either talked to or seen interviewed. Of course, those who wear it because they feel forced to by their religion or, more often, their family... I do not approve of that at all.

A better solution I think would be to educate men better on when it is and isn't appropriate to be sexual, and likewise to educate women that their sexuality is something to be proud of instead of ashamed of as religion teaches, but that isn't likely to happen any time soon.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Cavebear

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on January 04, 2018, 06:54:04 PM
Taking off her hijab in Iran? This woman's got bigger balls than I do.

Good for her.  If enough women do that, they can't be stopped.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Cavebear

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!