News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

A Word To Left-Wing Students

Started by pr126, December 31, 2017, 02:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Mermaid on December 31, 2017, 04:13:27 PM
That's it. I am converted. You convinced me!

Good.  Will mail you a bunch of Atheist Lighthouse tracts to take door to door ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Blackleaf on December 31, 2017, 06:45:06 PM
And when you start with a sarcastic "trigger warning," you've already lost the right to be taken seriously.
That's the alt-right expecting their "information" to be shocking to the soft left. The arrogance is endemic.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Shiranu

I have a bit of free time before I go hit the square, so I'll watch what I can...

0:00-0:07 - "They say great minds think alike, and the same can be said of tiny ones, particularly closed ones."

Holy shit, I see why pr likes and agrees with this guy already.

0:10ish-0:38 - UKIP getting shouted down by students.

You know, I have a hard time shedding tears for them being "silenced" (which is complete B.S. anyways, they have a perfectly clear voice) when they are advocating inhumane policies against refugees and are in favour of sending them back to their death because they look scary.

When you are advocating murdering women and children because you are a coward, I have a hard time sympathizing with you.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Munch

Quote from: Baruch on December 31, 2017, 07:14:55 PM
Pat Condell seems to be from the Enoch Powell school of British politics.  Both have ultimately Irish origins.  Don't think Condell was a Black Shirt back in the day, he isn't old enough.  Enoch Powell was a brigadier in WW II ... what did you do?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enoch_Powell ... definitely old school

Is anyone to the right of Ho Chi Minh ... a Nazi?  The Vietnam War was definitely the wrong war ... but the victory of the North Vietnamese, while hard earned, didn't validate all the feral college students back in the US.  I would have drafted all of them, you hear me Bill Clinton, Dick Cheney?

its the go to retort when a valid argument can't be made. Condell is a guy from a different era well beyond todays advocates, and while having watch a few of his videos I know some of his views aren't agreed upon, he does often give a speech and tells it like it is, he is proud of his own country and doesn't want to see it turn to shit by poor choices, and he is old enough to remember past examples that certain people can only read about.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on December 31, 2017, 08:46:35 PM
its the go to retort when a valid argument can't be made. Condell is a guy from a different era well beyond todays advocates, and while having watch a few of his videos I know some of his views aren't agreed upon, he does often give a speech and tells it like it is, he is proud of his own country and doesn't want to see it turn to shit by poor choices, and he is old enough to remember past examples that certain people can only read about.

The British Empire is done.  You should all learn French and marry African people, so you can be just like Paris ;-)  Or learn German and marry Turks, like Berlin ;-))  So I guess the French Empire and German Empires are done now too.  Aww.

First rule ... if the Austro-Hungarian Imperial Crown Prince and his wife get assassinated in Sarajevo ... ignore it next time.  Also be sure that Gandhi meets up with some lions while he is still in S Africa.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

I wasn't going to comment but since I only have a couple of hours left on this website, what the hell.

I agree with this guy's basic point that students should be willing to listen to disagreeable, offensive ideas and that speakers who have been legitimately invited to speak at universities shouldn't be shouted down. I don't think every crackpot should be invited to speak and I am all for protests but let invited speakers have their say. This perception that conservative speakers are being silenced on university campuses is intentionally being exaggerated, at least in the US. Progressive and conservatives speak at universities across the country every day without incident.

That said, this guy is part of the problem, not the solution. He is insulting, rude and clearly isn't willing to listen to anyone who doesn't share his ideology. He presents himself as a closed-minded, intolerant person criticizing others for being closed-minded and intolerant. He complains students have false moral superiority and then asserts false moral superiority. He complains students are emotionally invested in their arguments while clearly EXTREMELY emotionally invested in his own. He says students will look back at their behavior in regret but honestly, I cringed watching a man his age make such a vulgar rant.

Cavebear

Quote from: GSOgymrat on December 31, 2017, 10:29:49 PM
I wasn't going to comment but since I only have a couple of hours left on this website, what the hell.

I agree with this guy's basic point that students should be willing to listen to disagreeable, offensive ideas and that speakers who have been legitimately invited to speak at universities shouldn't be shouted down. I don't think every crackpot should be invited to speak and I am all for protests but let invited speakers have their say. This perception that conservative speakers are being silenced on university campuses is intentionally being exaggerated, at least in the US. Progressive and conservatives speak at universities across the country every day without incident.

That said, this guy is part of the problem, not the solution. He is insulting, rude and clearly isn't willing to listen to anyone who doesn't share his ideology. He presents himself as a closed-minded, intolerant person criticizing others for being closed-minded and intolerant. He complains students have false moral superiority and then asserts false moral superiority. He complains students are emotionally invested in their arguments while clearly EXTREMELY emotionally invested in his own. He says students will look back at their behavior in regret but honestly, I cringed watching a man his age make such a vulgar rant.

I understand your point.  But I turn off even MSNBC when they have some dimwit evading answering questions. 

If I was 20, it would be good to listen to all points of view.  But I'm 67 and I'm heard all the bullsh*t for so many years.  I don't need to listen to some former frat guy channelling Ayn Rand to know the difference between theory and stupidity.

I liked Ayn Rand somewhat when I was 20 myself.  It works for me, personnally.  But then I caught on to the idea that individuals don't build roads.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 10, 2018, 12:00:40 PM
I understand your point.  But I turn off even MSNBC when they have some dimwit evading answering questions. 

If I was 20, it would be good to listen to all points of view.  But I'm 67 and I'm heard all the bullsh*t for so many years.  I don't need to listen to some former frat guy channelling Ayn Rand to know the difference between theory and stupidity.

I liked Ayn Rand somewhat when I was 20 myself.  It works for me, personnally.  But then I caught on to the idea that individuals don't build roads.

Correct, but no kudos, because you refuse mine.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 10, 2018, 02:30:41 PM
Correct, but no kudos, because you refuse mine.

Built all the roads yourself, you did?

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 10, 2018, 04:19:55 PM
Built all the roads yourself, you did?

No I was into Ayn Rand when I was a kid, too.  But it is pretty easy to see thru a fiction.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 10, 2018, 04:21:18 PM
No I was into Ayn Rand when I was a kid, too.  But it is pretty easy to see thru a fiction.

You dare say you are agin her in the Trump regime?  To Bannon with you!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 10, 2018, 04:33:30 PM
You dare say you are agin her in the Trump regime?  To Bannon with you!

Bannon is in disgrace, fired from Breitbart.  He was shown the real Zapruder film.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on January 10, 2018, 04:21:18 PM
Except when it comes to the fiction of G_d, eh??
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on January 10, 2018, 07:28:59 PM
Except when it comes to the fiction of G_d, eh??

What other people say ... fiction.  I didn't write Atlas Shrugged, Ayn Rand did.  I don't base my religion on the Bible ... and yeah, I didn't write that either.

What happens when you dismiss all ideas ... Satori?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sal1981

Quote from: Baruch on January 10, 2018, 08:24:10 PM
What other people say ... fiction.  I didn't write Atlas Shrugged, Ayn Rand did.  I don't base my religion on the Bible ... and yeah, I didn't write that either.

What happens when you dismiss all ideas ... Satori?
Literal nihilism is what.