News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Latest on autonomous cars ...

Started by Baruch, December 30, 2017, 11:25:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

https://www.wired.com/story/self-driving-cars-challenges/

One sensor array, by itself, costs $75K.  Of course to the Elite, this is pocket change.  They have no sense as to the value of a dollar.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Johan

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

GSOgymrat

Interesting article. While reading I thought a transitional solution to self-driving vehicles would be remote piloting vehicles. Cyber Chauffer would offer to have someone to pilot a rented vehicle or your own private vehicle remotely. The employee could sit at home in their pajamas essentially playing a car simulator and making money while the client relaxes and does other things. I have to drive seven hours to visit my father and I would love to have someone else drive.

Baruch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on December 30, 2017, 10:53:46 PM
Interesting article. While reading I thought a transitional solution to self-driving vehicles would be remote piloting vehicles. Cyber Chauffer would offer to have someone to pilot a rented vehicle or your own private vehicle remotely. The employee could sit at home in their pajamas essentially playing a car simulator and making money while the client relaxes and does other things. I have to drive seven hours to visit my father and I would love to have someone else drive.

You could just get your SO do it for you.

See the thread on new robots.  Military robots will be real, because killing people is not a problem, and cost is no object.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

PopeyesPappy

Meh. I was involved in the military's unmanned vehicle research in the late 90s and early 00's. The Demo III XUV couldn't tell the edge of a field of corn from a brick wall, and the smooth surface of a pond looked like a great place to drive. Those sensor packages cost millions. The software cost even more. $75 thousand represents a significant cost reduction over where we started, and those costs will continue to fall.

Poor people will probably never be able to afford to own this type of technology. At least not new. Maybe after they start salvaging it from junkyards. That doesn't mean they cant benefit from it though. The first industries that adopt self-driving vehicles on a large scale will probably be trucking companies and mass transit. As that happens your chances of being run over by a by a tractor-trailer or bus are going to go down.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Baruch

I can increase my odds of avoiding accident now, by staying at home ;-)  I don't need fancy technology.  If I go out, I can walk, and be careful to look both ways before I cross a street ... no AI required.

Military use first ... so how are the costs on your personal AWACS coming down?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

PopeyesPappy

You are well aware of the fact that the military drives a large percentage of new technology development, Baruch. DARPA has spent hundreds of millions if not billions into developing technology for autonomous vehicles. Iterations of some of that technology can be found in current production vehicles. Auto braking is currently available on a shit load of new cars. It's a $400 option on a $25,000 Subaru Legacy.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Jason78

DARPA?   Those losers that came up with ARPANET? 

It will never catch on.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Baruch

Quote from: Jason78 on December 31, 2017, 01:09:31 PM
DARPA?   Those losers that came up with ARPANET? 

It will never catch on.

Where do you think the missing Pentagon trillions went to?  You never paid for your Internet service, and never will.  Its only purpose is to fight WW III.

Technical, medical ... materialist utopianism ... is one of the two primary beliefs of Marxism.  The other being that once we all became equals, this utopia will happen much sooner.  Marx was a materialist/rationalist atheist, who borrowed from Hegel (a rationalist post-Christian), and a failed Jew (his grandfather had been a rabbi).  This was all the rage in the 19th century ... Jules Verne and H G Wells were non-political versions of Marxism.

Inevitable technology and medicine aren't politically-neutral.  Obama care isn't politically neutral for example.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

The only autonomous car I will ever be in will be a hearse.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on December 31, 2017, 11:14:11 AM
I can increase my odds of avoiding accident now, by staying at home ;-)
But don't most accidents happen in the home? You could be run over by a refrigerator gone amok!
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 18, 2018, 01:58:50 PM
But don't most accidents happen in the home? You could be run over by a refrigerator gone amok!

IoE or Internet-of-Everything as dystopia written all over it.  My cats are enough, I wouldn't even allow a Roomba in my place.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 18, 2018, 02:24:53 PM
IoE or Internet-of-Everything as dystopia written all over it.  My cats are enough, I wouldn't even allow a Roomba in my place.

I'm keeping my old SUV because the new ones are hackable.  I don't have a smart phone.  And the only entity that knows what is in my refrigerator is me.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!