Macro-economic picture for the last 30 years ...

Started by Baruch, December 26, 2017, 04:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 27, 2018, 03:54:41 PM
Do you ever play the English Opening.  I like that one for the transpositional possibilities.

Sorry, long time since I played, and no expertise.  I was more like ... can I emotionally get to the other person ... to break their concentration.  One of Bobby Fischer's methods.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Cavebear on January 27, 2018, 03:54:41 PM
Do you ever play the English Opening.  I like that one for the transpositional possibilities.
I've recently heard about an opening called the London system, it seems to be pretty solid. But the English is also a good one.

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 27, 2018, 03:57:08 PM
I've recently heard about an opening called the London system, it seems to be pretty solid. But the English is also a good one.

Had to look that up.  It's been years since I played chess seriously for rating.  Interesting.Looks like a Giocco Piano (I don't remember how to spell it, since I never played it) from the Q-side?  I would have to play a few games experimenting.  The Wiki says it is good against Nimzo-Indian.  I don't really love closed systems though.

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 27, 2018, 04:02:11 PM
Had to look that up.  It's been years since I played chess seriously for rating.  Interesting.Looks like a Giocco Piano (I don't remember how to spell it, since I never played it) from the Q-side?  I would have to play a few games experimenting.  The Wiki says it is good against Nimzo-Indian.  I don't really love closed systems though.

On an infinite 2-D chessboard, Queens are even more dangerous than usual, and Kings are still mostly useless.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 27, 2018, 04:06:50 PM
On an infinite 2-D chessboard, Queens are even more dangerous than usual, and Kings are still mostly useless.

So are Rooks and Bishops.  In 1969, I had a shoebox full of punch cards to make the computer play 2 moves of chess logically.  I could never get it to stop moving pieces off the board.  Hover, since the class project was to program the computer to play "21" (which I did the first night and handed to the instructor the next day) he gave me time on the mainframe saying "you can't do it".  He was right.  In Fortran.  I got an A anyway.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 02, 2018, 02:38:52 PM
So are Rooks and Bishops.  In 1969, I had a shoebox full of punch cards to make the computer play 2 moves of chess logically.  I could never get it to stop moving pieces off the board.  Hover, since the class project was to program the computer to play "21" (which I did the first night and handed to the instructor the next day) he gave me time on the mainframe saying "you can't do it".  He was right.  In Fortran.  I got an A anyway.

You should have followed the Lords of Cobol ;-)

The actual reason is ... we are talking about "depth first search" ... which is hard to do with fixed arrays.  C-languages have pointers, and can build trees on the fly.  Engineers never needed to build data structures like that ... all engineering stuff is linear or planar ... though finite element analysis is better with pointer structures, but arrays can be made to do.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 02, 2018, 06:57:59 PM
You should have followed the Lords of Cobol ;-)

The actual reason is ... we are talking about "depth first search" ... which is hard to do with fixed arrays.  C-languages have pointers, and can build trees on the fly.  Engineers never needed to build data structures like that ... all engineering stuff is linear or planar ... though finite element analysis is better with pointer structures, but arrays can be made to do.

I could have.  I was good enough at Cobol that the other students asked me to review their programs.  But I didn't like the formality of that language.  The instructor encouraged me to pursue programming.  I wanted more thoughtful organizing.  Administrative and technical management of voice telecommunications suited me better.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 07, 2018, 06:40:41 AM
I could have.  I was good enough at Cobol that the other students asked me to review their programs.  But I didn't like the formality of that language.  The instructor encouraged me to pursue programming.  I wanted more thoughtful organizing.  Administrative and technical management of voice telecommunications suited me better.

Programming is a bitch.  The computer won't compute.  Super detail oriented stuff.  Glad to do it for a few years, but not the whole career.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 07, 2018, 07:36:34 AM
Programming is a bitch.  The computer won't compute.  Super detail oriented stuff.  Glad to do it for a few years, but not the whole career.

I meant that programming was too limited (at the time).  I thought it would become a technical job ruled by other people's desires.  I needed broader range.  And I got it.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 07, 2018, 07:56:13 AM
I meant that programming was too limited (at the time).  I thought it would become a technical job ruled by other people's desires.  I needed broader range.  And I got it.

Hamlet would make a good programmer ... being bound up in a nut shell ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 08, 2018, 08:46:55 PM
Hamlet would make a good programmer ... being bound up in a nut shell ...
I doubt it.  No programmer would make the errors.  Indeed, a programmer CAN'T make psychological errors directly.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 09, 2018, 02:07:03 AM
I doubt it.  No programmer would make the errors.  Indeed, a programmer CAN'T make psychological errors directly.

Not yet.  Got chipped in Stepford yet?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 09, 2018, 07:07:27 AM
Not yet.  Got chipped in Stepford yet?

My cats are microchipped with Avid.  That's a start.  And Fry was chipped...

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 13, 2018, 03:06:12 AM
My cats are microchipped with Avid.  That's a start.  And Fry was chipped...

Futurama isn't my idea of the future.  Think Middle Ages all over again, but not LARPing.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.