Putting the Christ Back in Christian

Started by Blackleaf, December 24, 2017, 04:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 29, 2017, 07:01:42 PM
Well, I was nothing before I became something. Then I'll be nothing again after I'm finished being something.

Nothingness rules!

It would appear that you only have the ambition to achieve nothing.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: GSOgymrat on December 29, 2017, 02:07:46 PM
I've never been asked "What is your religion?" The question I get is "Where do you go to church?" As an obvious Southerner, Christianity is assumed.
Same.  And I was able to answer truthfully without angering them.  I told them the name of a local church that I go to.  What I didn't say was that I only ever go there to vote.  :)

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 30, 2017, 12:45:14 AM
Same.  And I was able to answer truthfully without angering them.  I told them the name of a local church that I go to.  What I didn't say was that I only ever go there to vote.  :)

If someone I don't know well asks what church I attend I typically reply "I'm not religious" but if I want to skirt the issue I will say "I was raised Methodist", which is true.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on December 29, 2017, 09:04:32 PM
It would appear that you only have the ambition to achieve nothing.
It certainly would appear so, I suppose. But only I can live my life - you can't live it for me. I simply recognize the obvious when I see it.

What are your ambitions? Are they any better than my ambition to achieve nothing? At least my ambition is attainable. Are yours?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 30, 2017, 01:20:31 PM
It certainly would appear so, I suppose. But only I can live my life - you can't live it for me. I simply recognize the obvious when I see it.

What are your ambitions? Are they any better than my ambition to achieve nothing? At least my ambition is attainable. Are yours?

Attainable?  Not a proper criterion.  I could do anything tomorrow that I set my mind to.  Given a good night's sleep.  That isn't nothin'.

I have seen video of people with handicaps, coping with them, beyond my comprehension ... yet these people do.  Say no to depression.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I'm not depressed - I'm apathetic. There's a difference.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 02, 2018, 03:29:36 PM
I'm not depressed - I'm apathetic. There's a difference.

Hit yourself until you feel the pain.  Are you apathetic to pain?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: GSOgymrat on December 30, 2017, 03:33:35 AM
If someone I don't know well asks what church I attend I typically reply "I'm not religious" but if I want to skirt the issue I will say "I was raised Methodist", which is true.
The last time I was asked directly, I answered just as directly -- but it's easier to be an out atheist in a Northern urban area than anywhere in the South.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on January 03, 2018, 03:53:02 PM
The last time I was asked directly, I answered just as directly -- but it's easier to be an out atheist in a Northern urban area than anywhere in the South.

People have lower expectations for "Damn Yankees" ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: trdsf on January 03, 2018, 03:53:02 PM

I don't mind being an out atheist but, at least in my experience, some people want to engage in a big conversation about faith and religion and I'm not always in the mood. Every month or so I get strangers ringing my doorbell promoting their church. When I tell people I'm atheist they often take it as a challenge and typically launch into a first cause argument, e.g. "You live in this beautiful house. Now someone had to build this house, right?" I do my best to be courteous but one time these women just didn't want to stop, even when I said "I am sorry, but I am not going to discuss this topic any further." It is just easier sometimes to smile, nod and let them make false assumptions.

trdsf

Quote from: GSOgymrat on January 03, 2018, 04:33:04 PM
I don't mind being an out atheist but, at least in my experience, some people want to engage in a big conversation about faith and religion and I'm not always in the mood. Every month or so I get strangers ringing my doorbell promoting their church. When I tell people I'm atheist they often take it as a challenge and typically launch into a first cause argument, e.g. "You live in this beautiful house. Now someone had to build this house, right?" I do my best to be courteous but one time these women just didn't want to stop, even when I said "I am sorry, but I am not going to discuss this topic any further." It is just easier sometimes to smile, nod and let them make false assumptions.
I tell them that they asked me what I believed, not whether I wanted to be preached at, and that I would demand equal time to preach reason at them.  Them using it as an excuse to push their beliefs was the discourteous act, not your shutting them down.

I also haven't had a preacher at my door since I told the last one that a) I work third shift and they just woke me up (it was 10am) and b) they never asked permission to preach at me, and I could tell them in advance that such permission was not forthcoming.  Punctuated by a door slam.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mike Cl

My solution for when the Nitwits come knocking.  I open the door, say 'No thank you!' and then shut the door.  10 sec. and it's all over.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on January 03, 2018, 06:36:57 PM
My solution for when the Nitwits come knocking.  I open the door, say 'No thank you!' and then shut the door.  10 sec. and it's all over.

I usually answer the door in my Fruit-of-the-Looms ... even scares off cops.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

The evangelists in my area don't speak English very well, so those conversations are pretty short for me. They see my pale skin and immediately assume that there is an insurmountable language barrier. They hand me something that will go right into the trash, and they leave politely with an awkward laugh.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on January 03, 2018, 06:49:19 PM
The evangelists in my area don't speak English very well, so those conversations are pretty short for me. They see my pale skin and immediately assume that there is an insurmountable language barrier. They hand me something that will go right into the trash, and they leave politely with an awkward laugh.

JWs have admitted Hispanics, they have a Hispanic JW meeting hall in my town.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.