Putting the Christ Back in Christian

Started by Blackleaf, December 24, 2017, 04:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on December 29, 2017, 02:29:07 AM
Hell, when a pastor, priest, or other type of "holy" man is accused of child rape, the church more often rallies around their religious leader and blames the child. I knew a girl who went through that experience. Family values my ass.

Same as cops, unfortunately.  All authoritarians do it.  Not all church leaders are authoritarians.

Even Gandhi was an ass, sometimes.  And no doubt his followers refused to accept the truth about it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 29, 2017, 06:28:07 AM
Yep, be in the in-group or be hated. It's simpler for people to say they're christian than to live like a Christian.
And that's true even when a 'christian' can't really tell what it actually means to 'live like a christian'.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on December 29, 2017, 09:32:46 AM
And that's true even when a 'christian' can't really tell what it actually means to 'live like a christian'.
I called myself a Christian when I didn't even believe in God.  OK, explanation necessary here.  I was too frightened to call myself anything else, and through some mental gymnastics, I managed to convince myself that not knowing there was NO god, was the same thing as believing there was a God.  Not to mention that silly Trinity thing. Jesus being my savior never made a bit of sense to me, ever.  If anyone was going to save me from Hell, it would ultimately be God.  He didn't need to sacrifice his son; He's God.  He could just save me without the falderal.  Why was the Jesus step necessary at all? 

I don't think I ever prayed to Jesus once.  I always prayed to God.  They are one and the same, no?  Well, sometimes they are and sometimes they are not, apparently, but that makes no sense either.  It's just extra nonsense to believe, that is... IF YOU WANT TO BE A CHRISTIAN.  So, just say you're a Christian.  Who's going to ask you anyway?  If you don't care what a real Christian is, why would anyone else?  They don't know what they are talking about either.  Everyone is going to be happy and they will leave you alone.  Well, you do get the occasional anal retentive fundamentalist who will challenge you if he happens to be in a foul mood. 

Oh the games we play with ourselves.

Gawdzilla Sama

I never claimed to be a Christian. The only time I was ever asked was when someone had already decided I was a bad person if I didn't say the right thing. Other than those few jackasses it never came up.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

I was asked one time by a guy I had only known for an hour.  It was issued as a challenge in an intimidating manner.  Out of the blue he asked while pointing his finger at me, "Are you <points finger at me> a Christian?"  I remember wondering how he defined Christian, like was I just a Christian or A REAL CHRISTIAN like him?  I didn't want to answer thinking it was some sort of trap.  I lied, "Yes, I am," in the most intimidating tone I could muster.  I don't think he believed me, but he backed off not wanting to be out Christianed by a better Christian.  I thought to myself, "Fuck You, Asshole."

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on December 29, 2017, 12:47:11 PM
I was asked one time by a guy I had only known for an hour.  It was issued as a challenge in an intimidating manner.  Out of the blue he asked while pointing his finger at me, "Are you <points finger at me> a Christian?"  I remember wondering how he defined Christian, like was I just a Christian or A REAL CHRISTIAN like him?  I didn't want to answer thinking it was some sort of trap.  I lied, "Yes, I am," in the most intimidating tone I could muster.  I don't think he believed me, but he backed off not wanting to be out Christianed by a better Christian.  I thought to myself, "Fuck You, Asshole."

I have encountered the Southern cultural question once ... "What is your religion?" ... meaning which church do you go to.  I think he would have been shocked if I had said Buddhist.  At the time, I could temporize and gave the church I went to with my wife.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Baruch on December 29, 2017, 01:20:21 PM
I have encountered the Southern cultural question once ... "What is your religion?" ... meaning which church do you go to.

I've never been asked "What is your religion?" The question I get is "Where do you go to church?" As an obvious Southerner, Christianity is assumed.

Unbeliever

I've been tempted before to tell people that I worship Anton LaVey's God, but I've always chickened out. Christians are too unpredictable, and they can be violent if provoked.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 29, 2017, 04:34:56 PM
I've been tempted before to tell people that I worship Anton LaVey's God, but I've always chickened out. Christians are too unpredictable, and they can be violent if provoked.

My best friend in HS, was interested in LaVey ... but he went to Hell ;-( ... not literally, but in some other respects.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 29, 2017, 06:37:02 PM
Well, aren't we all in hell right now?

I think my friend is in California ... it is warmer there, not like Hel ... the Norse bad place, which is cold, where I am now.

Actually Heaven and Hell are attitudes toward whatever your present situation is.  For a nihilist, you don't get either, you get nothing.

My view is that this is heaven and hell, right here, right now ... it is up to me to have a more positive attitude, but without delusion or drugs.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on December 29, 2017, 06:41:56 PM
Actually Heaven and Hell are attitudes toward whatever your present situation is.  For a nihilist, you don't get either, you get nothing.
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 29, 2017, 06:44:41 PM

Only if you are using how many hard boiled eggs you can down (burp).

Only rely on nothing, if you are a Buddhist.  But meditation isn't nothing.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Well, I was nothing before I became something. Then I'll be nothing again after I'm finished being something.

Nothingness rules!
God Not Found

Munch

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 29, 2017, 07:01:42 PM
Well, I was nothing before I became something. Then I'll be nothing again after I'm finished being something.

Nothingness rules!

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin