Judeo-Arabic studies ... for Cavebear

Started by Baruch, December 24, 2017, 11:25:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 27, 2018, 10:18:22 AM
That's interesting.  In the early 2000s, my similar rather weird theistic opponent was "Annakuk".  You wouldn't be him, would you?

No.  But your opponent was a space-alien that was of Babylonian culture?  Where did he park his space-ziggurat?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 27, 2018, 10:21:29 AM
No.  But your opponent was a space-alien that was of Babylonian culture?  Where did he park his space-ziggurat?

Actually, he claimed to be Innuit.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 27, 2018, 10:22:57 AM
Actually, he claimed to be Innuit.

Space-igloo then.  Don't fly too close to the Sun!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 27, 2018, 10:30:20 AM
Space-igloo then.  Don't fly too close to the Sun!

I'm a tad smarter than Icarus.  And, BTW, I know the secret to escaping a labyrinth.  Do you?

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 27, 2018, 10:32:45 AM
I'm a tad smarter than Icarus.  And, BTW, I know the secret to escaping a labyrinth.  Do you?

Only if your Minoan girlfriend gives you a ball of thread.  I have been to Knossos.  It was quite a palace for that time.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 27, 2018, 10:34:35 AM
Only if your Minoan girlfriend gives you a ball of thread.  I have been to Knossos.  It was quite a palace for that time.

Hint.  Put your finger on either wall and never remove it as you walk.  Geometry forces success to the exit.  Didn't know that didja?

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 27, 2018, 10:37:12 AM
Hint.  Put your finger on either wall and never remove it as you walk.  Geometry forces success to the exit.  Didn't know that didja?

That only works in budget labyrinths.  Magic ones aren't so easy ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRcOZZDvMv4
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 27, 2018, 03:52:38 PM
Magic is not real.

Certainly it is real.  Language is the magic of communicating to and thus and modifying people remotely.  Any technology past the Stone Age is indistinguishable from magic.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 27, 2018, 03:53:56 PM
Certainly it is real.  Language is the magic of communicating to and thus and modifying people remotely.  Any technology past the Stone Age is indistinguishable from magic.

Oh please...  Language is not magic.  It is a product of the mind.  Even babies do it right off (badly, but get better) and they don't exactly have to go to EarthSea School.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 27, 2018, 03:57:11 PM
Oh please...  Language is not magic.  It is a product of the mind.  Even babies do it right off (badly, but get better) and they don't exactly have to go to EarthSea School.

The mind, aka spirit .. is the only magic there is.  Something is only a product of the mind, if you are doing multiplication.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 27, 2018, 04:00:48 PM
The mind, aka spirit .. is the only magic there is.  Something is only a product of the mind, if you are doing multiplication.

It seems to me that reality exists independently of the mind.  The Earth existed quite well when there were no minds at all and it could continue without them.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 02, 2018, 02:33:51 PM
It seems to me that reality exists independently of the mind.  The Earth existed quite well when there were no minds at all and it could continue without them.

There is something material.  But it doesn't have a name, except when we name it.  So Earth didn't exist without people, or planets or any other human concept.  The thing that the concept refers to, that existed.  But this doesn't work with ideas themselves ... Plato is wrong.  Justice is only an idea ... independent of humans, it has no referent.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 02, 2018, 06:59:54 PM
There is something material.  But it doesn't have a name, except when we name it.  So Earth didn't exist without people, or planets or any other human concept.  The thing that the concept refers to, that existed.  But this doesn't work with ideas themselves ... Plato is wrong.  Justice is only an idea ... independent of humans, it has no referent.

That's not what I said.  Earth DID exist without people.  Your premise fails after that.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 07, 2018, 06:37:32 AM
That's not what I said.  Earth DID exist without people.  Your premise fails after that.

"Earth" is a human concept, with variant meanings.  Do you mean Gaia?  But justice, that is a purely ape concept.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.