Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hakurei Reimu

Interesting, but that ship's already sailed for most of us.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Baruch

A couple people here loudly proclaim that they are nihilists ... but don't know if that means they are anti-natalists.  It still matters to me, because my daughter is anti-natalist ... and while I am not, I share her pessimism.

I follow Nietzsche ... I agree with all three axioms in this paper:

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2099162.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gilgamesh

Anti-natalism is only logical. Look at how many children already exist in this world who need parents. Why create more.

It's just tons of people have this weird imperative to spawn their own children - to continue their own bloodline. I'm wondering if this imperative is biological and I'm just defunct, because almost everyone who I've talked to about this has it, while I never did.

Rather, I'm chiefly concerned with creating good, reasonable people - which I'm convinced has more to do with nurture than nature. The obsession with creating a person who looks like oneself makes no sense to me.

Sal1981

I liked the video in the bottom more, about Effective Altruism.

Baruch

Quote from: Gilgamesh on November 29, 2017, 04:46:07 PM
Anti-natalism is only logical. Look at how many children already exist in this world who need parents. Why create more.

It's just tons of people have this weird imperative to spawn their own children - to continue their own bloodline. I'm wondering if this imperative is biological and I'm just defunct, because almost everyone who I've talked to about this has it, while I never did.

Rather, I'm chiefly concerned with creating good, reasonable people - which I'm convinced has more to do with nurture than nature. The obsession with creating a person who looks like oneself makes no sense to me.

There are people who aren't supposed to have sex.  There are people who aren't supposed to marry.  There are people who aren't supposed to parent.  I am not sure myself where I fall.  But I didn't have a child to propagate a blood-line.  Most children happen because of lust of the adults, an unplanned side effect.  My wife and I planned it, as a controlled experiment.  Blood-lines are important for old money ... like European aristocracy.  Don't know any such people personally.  Being a good teacher is a good thing ... see the movie, Goodbye, Mr Chips.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on November 29, 2017, 06:59:55 PM
There are people who aren't supposed to have sex.  There are people who aren't supposed to marry.  There are people who aren't supposed to parent.  I am not sure myself where I fall.  But I didn't have a child to propagate a blood-line.  Most children happen because of lust of the adults, an unplanned side effect.  My wife and I planned it, as a controlled experiment.  Blood-lines are important for old money ... like European aristocracy.  Don't know any such people personally.  Being a good teacher is a good thing ... see the movie, Goodbye, Mr Chips.

Without making this a moral question, aren't 7.5 billion of us enough?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 23, 2017, 02:48:53 PM
Without making this a moral question, aren't 7.5 billion of us enough?

Generally speaking, yes.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 24, 2017, 01:19:50 AM
Generally speaking, yes.

Good.  So let's have everyone stop screwing around for a few years...

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 26, 2017, 06:33:56 AM
Good.  So let's have everyone stop screwing around for a few years...

That would trigger all the randy college kids, so can't be done!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 26, 2017, 09:01:54 AM
That would trigger all the randy college kids, so can't be done!

Just shut down the hormones...  Marriage usually works.