Author Topic: Atheists are mutants  (Read 297 times)

Offline SGOS

Re: Atheists are mutants
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2017, 01:50:35 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks the authors have combined a couple of pieces of data and a lot of assumptions to make some spurious predictions? They don't seem to even consider how gene editing and computer technology will influence intelligence in the future.

"In that our intelligence is decreasing, I suspect civilization will go backwards, Natural selection will return and we will become more religious once more. This seems to be a rule of history.”

A rule of history? I am unfamiliar with this rule.
No, you are not the only one wondering about that.  Before I read your comment, I was pondering the same things.  They collected some data, and not a whole lot, and then started speculating about what it means, how it correlates, and lacking the necessary explanation, seemed to be making causations out of correlations. 

And the rule of history thing surprised me too.  Seems like it may have been conjured out of think air.

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2017, 04:27:14 AM »
Ah, but you are The Mule, from Asimov's Foundation Trilogy.  You are here to disrupt the careful calculations of the historians of the future (it was a con, the historians were manipulating popular opinion behind the scenes).

The Mule was not a healthy individual.  He was non-threatingly small in stature in his true form.  His larger-than-life self was merely the presentation he created using his mind-powers enhanced via his instrument.  And, being sterile, he was a one-off.  The Seldon predictions went on just fine after his death.

Do you never tire of being wrong?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Offline Baruch

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2017, 09:06:43 AM »
The Mule was not a healthy individual.  He was non-threatingly small in stature in his true form.  His larger-than-life self was merely the presentation he created using his mind-powers enhanced via his instrument.  And, being sterile, he was a one-off.  The Seldon predictions went on just fine after his death.

Do you never tire of being wrong?

Do you ever tire of preferring one fiction over another?  Of thinking that your preferred fiction is true?
שלום

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2017, 09:42:32 AM »
Do you ever tire of preferring one fiction over another?  Of thinking that your preferred fiction is true?

No.  But just admit you really botched it (again) and let's go on from there.

Offline Baruch

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2017, 09:44:16 AM »
No.  But just admit you really botched it (again) and let's go on from there.

I do analogy, not exact quotation.  Easier that way.
שלום

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2017, 10:06:26 AM »
I do analogy, not exact quotation.  Easier that way.

Ah, analogies...  The last refuge of the imprecise!  Like...  (and you thought I was going to do an analogy here?)  That would be like cutting the cake before... (and you thought I would do it again), LOL!

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2017, 06:15:50 PM »
Ah, but you are The Mule, from Asimov's Foundation Trilogy.  You are here to disrupt the careful calculations of the historians of the future (it was a con, the historians were manipulating popular opinion behind the scenes).
Ah, damn it! No spoiler alert!?

:shucks:

:neener:

God Not Found
"Nihilism: any aim is lacking, any answer to the question "why" is lacking. What does nihilism mean?--that the supreme values devaluate themselves."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Online Sal1981

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2017, 06:24:30 PM »
I'm certainly the odd one out, everyone else in my family is religious.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" --- Richard P. Feynman

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2017, 06:27:20 PM »
I guess everything alive on the planet is a mutant, one way or another. So we're in good company.
God Not Found
"Nihilism: any aim is lacking, any answer to the question "why" is lacking. What does nihilism mean?--that the supreme values devaluate themselves."
Friedrich Nietzsche

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2017, 06:28:41 PM »
Explaining the behavior behind these results, Dutton says: “Religiousness makes you more pro-social, and you become more religious when you're stressed. Religious people would have been sexually selected for because their pro-social, moral, unstressed nature would be attractive.”
So...stress makes people more religious, but religious people are unstressed, therefore...

He predicts that, in the end, intelligence and atheism will be both undone by a gradual return to natural selection.
Didn't intelligence evolve via natural selection in the first place?   :headscratch:
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 06:30:12 PM by Hydra009 »

Offline Baruch

« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2017, 08:39:05 PM »
So...stress makes people more religious, but religious people are unstressed, therefore...

Didn't intelligence evolve via natural selection in the first place?   :headscratch:

Yes, the first part is contradictory.  And the second part I don't believe ... natural selection is about sex and successful child rearing.  And I don't see much connection between those and intelligence ;-)
שלום

Offline trdsf

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2017, 12:54:35 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks the authors have combined a couple of pieces of data and a lot of assumptions to make some spurious predictions? They don't seem to even consider how gene editing and computer technology will influence intelligence in the future.

"In that our intelligence is decreasing, I suspect civilization will go backwards, Natural selection will return and we will become more religious once more. This seems to be a rule of history.”

A rule of history? I am unfamiliar with this rule.

Yeah, that conclusion seemed to come out of thin air.  In the first place, if/when atheism and rationality come to predominate over religion and woo, that solves the social grouping issue he's leaning on because the largest group -- even if heterogeneous -- will be the 'mutant' group of rationalists, with the analogous social constructs to support them as the religious group have in their groups.

What I really wish I could find fault with was his argument that intelligence is decreasing... alas, there's plenty of evidence to support that conjecture.
"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning." -- Calvin and Hobbes
"I thought I committed regicide today, but I committed deicide!" -- Sadie Doyle, Beyond Belief