Meeting the Enemy: A Feminist's 100 Hours with the MRA

Started by Shiranu, December 22, 2017, 10:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

While the main point is about feminism vs. MRA, the over-arching point really addresses the conflict between "left & right" and how both sides need to work together. All in all, I really enjoyed the speech, there were only two main issues I saw with it...

-She says she is no longer a feminist, nor became a MRA... but at the end of the day, if you support equality for women... you are a feminist. Period. Same for men's right... if you support improving men's rights... you are an MRA. Period. Rather than try to distance yourself from that label, you should own up to it.

-She was working with legitimate MRA's who actually are active in promoting men's rights. The reason MRA's have such a bad name is "men's rights" is used as an argument to silence voices for women's rights. The two should be, and she says this as well, working as one, but instead it is brought up as a way to destroy any type of progress for either side... that applies to both "MRA" but also "feminists" as well. But that goes back to my first problem... we shouldn't let the people who take those titles too far make us not identify as what we are.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

I know lots of young women in the military.  Some of them are outstanding people.  None of them are anti-male.  Treating men as enemy, is Marxism.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

I'm for stopping all inequality and moving on from there...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Shiranu on December 22, 2017, 10:45:58 PM
While the main point is about feminism vs. MRA, the over-arching point really addresses the conflict between "left & right" and how both sides need to work together. All in all, I really enjoyed the speech, there were only two main issues I saw with it...

-She says she is no longer a feminist, nor became a MRA... but at the end of the day, if you support equality for women... you are a feminist. Period. Same for men's right... if you support improving men's rights... you are an MRA. Period. Rather than try to distance yourself from that label, you should own up to it.

-She was working with legitimate MRA's who actually are active in promoting men's rights. The reason MRA's have such a bad name is "men's rights" is used as an argument to silence voices for women's rights. The two should be, and she says this as well, working as one, but instead it is brought up as a way to destroy any type of progress for either side... that applies to both "MRA" but also "feminists" as well. But that goes back to my first problem... we shouldn't let the people who take those titles too far make us not identify as what we are.

Are the labels useful? Is saying "I'm a feminist" any better than saying "I support gender equality?" There seems to be lack of consensus over what it means to be a feminist, for example, whether feminists can be pro-life.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 23, 2017, 03:40:20 AM
I'm for stopping all inequality and moving on from there...

Good ... you giving your pension to the local winos?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on December 23, 2017, 06:32:02 AM
Are the labels useful? Is saying "I'm a feminist" any better than saying "I support gender equality?" There seems to be lack of consensus over what it means to be a feminist, for example, whether feminists can be pro-life.

Women don't agree with each other, anymore than men agree with each other.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

I had to search MRA.  Men's Right's Activists?  Geez.  That's like billionaires needing a help group...

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 23, 2017, 10:26:30 AM
I had to search MRA.  Men's Right's Activists?  Geez.  That's like billionaires needing a help group...

Well then, you are a SJW ... from 1965.  Un-groovy, man.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 23, 2017, 11:23:35 AM
Well then, you are a SJW ... from 1965.  Un-groovy, man.

No, in 1964 I supported Goldwasser (AUH2O).

THEN, I became a SJW.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 23, 2017, 12:51:15 PM
No, in 1964 I supported Goldwasser (AUH2O).

THEN, I became a SJW.

Well, you do support Berlin these days ... so definitely a Prussian drink like goldwasser would be your thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldwasser#/media/File:Der_Lachs_Danziger_Goldwasser.jpg
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 23, 2017, 01:21:40 PM
Well, you do support Berlin these days ... so definitely a Prussian drink like goldwasser would be your thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldwasser#/media/File:Der_Lachs_Danziger_Goldwasser.jpg

I generally rotate my 5 pm cocktails among Gin Buck, Singapore Sling, and Southern Comfort with Peach liquor.  With hefty doses of ginger ale.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 23, 2017, 01:31:48 PM
I generally rotate my 5 pm cocktails among Gin Buck, Singapore Sling, and Southern Comfort with Peach liquor.  With hefty doses of ginger ale.

Southern Comfort?  That is raaaciiist.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 23, 2017, 01:37:32 PM
Southern Comfort?  That is raaaciiist.

Not with Peach liquor and ginger ale on ice its not.  The drink, inspired it is...

Gilgamesh

Quote from: Cavebear on December 23, 2017, 10:26:30 AM

You're funny. It is a demonstrable fact that in virtually every single first-world/western nation, that women have more legal rights than men.

Mermaid

Quote from: Gilgamesh on December 23, 2017, 03:25:16 PM
You're funny. It is a demonstrable fact that in virtually every single first-world/western nation, that women have more legal rights than men.
Like what?
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR