Author Topic: Meeting the Enemy: A Feminist's 100 Hours with the MRA  (Read 933 times)

Online Shiranu

Meeting the Enemy: A Feminist's 100 Hours with the MRA
« on: December 22, 2017, 10:45:58 PM »
[youtube]3WMuzhQXJoY[/youtube]

While the main point is about feminism vs. MRA, the over-arching point really addresses the conflict between "left & right" and how both sides need to work together. All in all, I really enjoyed the speech, there were only two main issues I saw with it...

-She says she is no longer a feminist, nor became a MRA... but at the end of the day, if you support equality for women... you are a feminist. Period. Same for men's right... if you support improving men's rights... you are an MRA. Period. Rather than try to distance yourself from that label, you should own up to it.

-She was working with legitimate MRA's who actually are active in promoting men's rights. The reason MRA's have such a bad name is "men's rights" is used as an argument to silence voices for women's rights. The two should be, and she says this as well, working as one, but instead it is brought up as a way to destroy any type of progress for either side... that applies to both "MRA" but also "feminists" as well. But that goes back to my first problem... we shouldn't let the people who take those titles too far make us not identify as what we are.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 10:55:56 PM by Shiranu »
"I can’t move on, I can’t relax. ’Cause when you're gone... panic attacks." - Elohim

"Letting go means to come to the realization that some people are a part of your history, but not a part of your destiny" - Steve Maraboli

Offline Baruch

Re: Meeting the Enemy: A Feminist's 100 Hours with the MRA
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 10:53:50 PM »
I know lots of young women in the military.  Some of them are outstanding people.  None of them are anti-male.  Treating men as enemy, is Marxism.
שלום

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 03:40:20 AM »
I'm for stopping all inequality and moving on from there...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 06:32:02 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
While the main point is about feminism vs. MRA, the over-arching point really addresses the conflict between "left & right" and how both sides need to work together. All in all, I really enjoyed the speech, there were only two main issues I saw with it...

-She says she is no longer a feminist, nor became a MRA... but at the end of the day, if you support equality for women... you are a feminist. Period. Same for men's right... if you support improving men's rights... you are an MRA. Period. Rather than try to distance yourself from that label, you should own up to it.

-She was working with legitimate MRA's who actually are active in promoting men's rights. The reason MRA's have such a bad name is "men's rights" is used as an argument to silence voices for women's rights. The two should be, and she says this as well, working as one, but instead it is brought up as a way to destroy any type of progress for either side... that applies to both "MRA" but also "feminists" as well. But that goes back to my first problem... we shouldn't let the people who take those titles too far make us not identify as what we are.

Are the labels useful? Is saying "I'm a feminist" any better than saying "I support gender equality?" There seems to be lack of consensus over what it means to be a feminist, for example, whether feminists can be pro-life.
“You are the sky. Everything else – it’s just the weather.”

― Pema Chödrön

Offline Baruch

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 06:55:47 AM »
I'm for stopping all inequality and moving on from there...

Good ... you giving your pension to the local winos?
שלום

Offline Baruch

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 06:56:36 AM »
Are the labels useful? Is saying "I'm a feminist" any better than saying "I support gender equality?" There seems to be lack of consensus over what it means to be a feminist, for example, whether feminists can be pro-life.

Women don't agree with each other, anymore than men agree with each other.
שלום

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 10:26:30 AM »
I had to search MRA.  Men's Right's Activists?  Geez.  That's like billionaires needing a help group...

Offline Baruch

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2017, 11:23:35 AM »
I had to search MRA.  Men's Right's Activists?  Geez.  That's like billionaires needing a help group...

Well then, you are a SJW ... from 1965.  Un-groovy, man.
שלום

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2017, 12:51:15 PM »
Well then, you are a SJW ... from 1965.  Un-groovy, man.

No, in 1964 I supported Goldwasser (AUH2O).

THEN, I became a SJW.

Offline Baruch

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2017, 01:21:40 PM »
No, in 1964 I supported Goldwasser (AUH2O).

THEN, I became a SJW.

Well, you do support Berlin these days ... so definitely a Prussian drink like goldwasser would be your thing.

שלום

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2017, 01:31:48 PM »
Well, you do support Berlin these days ... so definitely a Prussian drink like goldwasser would be your thing.

I generally rotate my 5 pm cocktails among Gin Buck, Singapore Sling, and Southern Comfort with Peach liquor.  With hefty doses of ginger ale.

Offline Baruch

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2017, 01:37:32 PM »
I generally rotate my 5 pm cocktails among Gin Buck, Singapore Sling, and Southern Comfort with Peach liquor.  With hefty doses of ginger ale.

Southern Comfort?  That is raaaciiist.
שלום

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2017, 02:18:34 PM »
Southern Comfort?  That is raaaciiist.

Not with Peach liquor and ginger ale on ice its not.  The drink, inspired it is...

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2017, 03:25:16 PM »

You're funny. It is a demonstrable fact that in virtually every single first-world/western nation, that women have more legal rights than men.

Offline Mermaid

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2017, 03:29:49 PM »
You're funny. It is a demonstrable fact that in virtually every single first-world/western nation, that women have more legal rights than men.
Like what?
We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came.

John F. Kennedy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk