Author Topic: Solar System’s First Interstellar Visitor Dazzles Scientists  (Read 2056 times)

Re: Solar System’s First Interstellar Visitor Dazzles Scientists
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2017, 02:48:20 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
"The internal system was penetrated and we didn't even get mildly excited before it was gone"?
And not even any foreplay - just slam, bam, thank you ma'am!
“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”
Miyamoto Musashi

Online trdsf

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2017, 01:06:10 PM »
I was listening to an audiobook of Rendezvous with Rama when I heard about it, for that extra layer of weirdness.  :)
Sir Terry Pratchett, on being told about the theory that the universe is a computer simulation: "If we all get out and in again, would it start to work properly this time?"

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2017, 03:28:18 PM »
That's an excellent book! I've read one of the sequels, but not all of them. Something to look forward to!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 03:31:54 PM by Unbeliever »
“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”
Miyamoto Musashi

Online trdsf

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2017, 04:21:15 PM »
That's an excellent book! I've read one of the sequels, but not all of them. Something to look forward to!
I cannot recommend the sequels -- they're not really Clarke anyway, they're Gentry Lee's work with only stray input from Clarke and nowhere near as good.  Rama II is tolerable in spots; The Garden of Rama and Rama Revealed are just awful.
Sir Terry Pratchett, on being told about the theory that the universe is a computer simulation: "If we all get out and in again, would it start to work properly this time?"

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2017, 04:27:52 PM »
Well, that's too bad. I'd hoped Lee could do them justice, but not everyone can be A.C. Clarke, I guess.
Miyamoto Musashi

Online trdsf

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2017, 10:24:18 AM »
Well, that's too bad. I'd hoped Lee could do them justice, but not everyone can be A.C. Clarke, I guess.
In fact, the main thing that Rama Revealed is that Gentry Lee is no Arthur C. Clarke.

The books all devolved into (allegedly) intelligent people deliberately doing demonstrably stupid things for dumb reasons—with various pauses along the way for homophobia, genocide, enforced polyamory, and a creepy December-May relationship—all wrapped up with a genuinely disappointing dénouement.  It was as out-of-place with Clarke's work as Benford's Foundation's Fear was with Asimov's.

Offline Baruch

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2017, 01:35:07 PM »
In fact, the main thing that Rama Revealed is that Gentry Lee is no Arthur C. Clarke.

The books all devolved into (allegedly) intelligent people deliberately doing demonstrably stupid things for dumb reasons—with various pauses along the way for homophobia, genocide, enforced polyamory, and a creepy December-May relationship—all wrapped up with a genuinely disappointing dénouement.  It was as out-of-place with Clarke's work as Benford's Foundation's Fear was with Asimov's.

Did you think that the 4th and 5th books in the Asimov trilogy (Foundation) to be any good?
שלום

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2017, 04:28:07 PM »
Why would a "trilogy" have more than 3 books?

Maybe the triune God is more than just Big Daddy, Junior and the Spook?
Miyamoto Musashi

Online trdsf

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2017, 04:58:16 PM »
I am reminded that as books were added, Douglas Adams referred to his series as 'the increasingly inaccurately named Hitchhikers Guide trilogy'.  :)

Words like 'tetralogy' or 'pentalogy' don't fall off the tongue quite so easily, though, do they?  I don't know why we don't use them.  They're perfectly cromulent words.  And even though it's the right word for them, we refer to the seven Harry Potter books as the 'Harry Potter series' or just the 'Harry Potter books' rather than the 'Harry Potter heptalogy'.

Offline Shiranu

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2017, 04:59:19 PM »
The state of NASA aside, no country or agency on Earth currently has the technology to send any type of probe to the general vicinity of this object. It was already moving away from the sun, and moving to fast for us to catch up with it by the time it was first discovered. The launch for such an intercept would have to have taken place months if not years in advance.

Well that's boring then.
I've Got Love, Fuck Your Money.

Don't feed the douche-trolls.

Offline Baruch

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2017, 06:38:14 PM »

Maybe the triune God is more than just Big Daddy, Junior and the Spook?

It was a trilogy for a long time.  Then after decades, he found he could write some more, then stopped again, empty of more things to say on the subject.

In Kabbalah, G-d is a dekad.  Each component (sephirot) linked by the 22 letters of the Hebrew alphabet.  Leading to gematria.
שלום

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk