News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Westworld TV Series

Started by SGOS, December 19, 2017, 10:37:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Season 1 is now out on DVD, and scheduled to arrive at my house on Friday.  I haven't seen it because I don't have TV and don't stream, but based on the positive reception and forum discussions from last year, and also because the old movie is wonderful, I'm expecting it to be worth buying.  The thing is, I haven't heard anyone talking about season two, and I haven't followed the TV series thread that closely.  I'm just wondering if people here still think it's as good as it was the first season.

Sal1981

I still haven't watched any episodes of season 2, but going off the end of season 1, it's gonna be quite a different setting than in season 1, very different.

SGOS

Quote from: Sal1981 on December 19, 2017, 01:16:57 PM
I still haven't watched any episodes of season 2, but going off the end of season 1, it's gonna be quite a different setting than in season 1, very different.
Hmm, that could be good or bad.  But then I haven't seen season 1 yet.  The movie was unique, almost like a genre in itself when you include Jurassic Park, fantasy theme parks that go haywire.  I find such a concept intriguing.  I'm looking forward to Westworld, and the DVD release is a surprise.  I had heard rumors last year that the series would not be released to DVD in the foreseeable future.  I wonder if that was started just to get more people to sign up for streaming?

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on December 19, 2017, 10:37:04 AMSeason 1 is now out on DVD, and scheduled to arrive at my house on Friday.  I haven't seen it because I don't have TV and don't stream, but based on the positive reception and forum discussions from last year, and also because the old movie is wonderful, I'm expecting it to be worth buying.
Yes, it's worth buying.  It was an amazing ride.  I pulled my roommate over and practically clockwork oranged him into watching.

QuoteThe thing is, I haven't heard anyone talking about season two, and I haven't followed the TV series thread that closely.
Aside from a short trailer, we know next to nothing about season two.  It isn't due to air until summer 2018.

QuoteI'm just wondering if people here still think it's as good as it was the first season.
Virtually any discussion of season 2 would spoil season 1.

Cavebear

Daring the risk of social shunning, I have never even heard of this show.  On the other hand, I never watched 'Dallas' or 'Baywatch' or (insert 'must see" shows).  And I do have a HDTV...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 23, 2017, 10:42:50 AM
Daring the risk of social shunning, I have never even heard of this show.  On the other hand, I never watched 'Dallas' or 'Baywatch' or (insert 'must see" shows).  And I do have a HDTV...

New Media are pay-per-view.  I won't pay.  From the website ...

"Set at the intersection of the near future and the reimagined past, explore a world in which every human appetite, no matter how noble or depraved, can be indulged without consequence."

Sounds just like Republicans to me ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on December 23, 2017, 10:42:50 AM
Daring the risk of social shunning, I have never even heard of this show.
That's understandable.  Not all HBO shows get nearly as much press as Game of Thrones.  Plus it only aired for 2 months with about a 2 year wait between seasons.  So there's a brief but frenetic flurry of fan activity and then long stretches of inactivity.  Very easy to miss.

Hydra009

Quote from: Baruch on December 23, 2017, 11:36:20 AMFrom the website ...

"Set at the intersection of the near future and the reimagined past, explore a world in which every human appetite, no matter how noble or depraved, can be indulged without consequence."
That's the intent of the company that owns the titular amusement park, but that's not completely accurate.  There's a much deeper story going on underneath the corporate-approved mindless violence and debauchery.

Plus, the same guy who wrote Jurassic Park also wrote Westworld.  'Nuff said.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 23, 2017, 11:36:20 AM
New Media are pay-per-view.  I won't pay.  From the website ...

Sounds just like Republicans to me ;-(

(koff, koff) yes...

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 23, 2017, 12:56:47 PM
(koff, koff) yes...

The part I hate about the original story, is that all the IT people die.  Bad form, that.  Yul Brynner was awesome however.  Marshal Dillon wouldn't have survived him.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on December 23, 2017, 02:02:37 PM
The part I hate about the original story, is that all the IT people die.  Bad form, that.  Yul Brynner was awesome however.  Marshal Dillon wouldn't have survived him.
I've watched one episode now.  I'm going to like this.  I can tell.  Plenty of stuff to guess about and lots of ways for it all to shake out.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on December 23, 2017, 02:24:05 PM
I've watched one episode now.  I'm going to like this.  I can tell.  Plenty of stuff to guess about and lots of ways for it all to shake out.

Will it have good arcs like Babylon 5?

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on December 23, 2017, 02:34:35 PM
I didn't follow Babylon 5, maybe an episode or two.  I'm not sure what you mean by "arcs."  If you mean story lines, philosophical questions, and commentary on the human condition, the potential is certainly there, but with just one episode, I can't say how much it will develop those things.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on December 23, 2017, 02:52:50 PM
I didn't follow Babylon 5, maybe an episode or two.  I'm not sure what you mean by "arcs."  If you mean story lines, philosophical questions, and commentary on the human condition, the potential is certainly there, but with just one episode, I can't say how much it will develop those things.

Arcs are multi-episode plots.  Babylon 5 was noted for that.  As opposed to some shows where the characters basically started from scratch each time, like Star Trek or any sitcom.

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on December 23, 2017, 02:34:35 PM
Depends on what you mean.  But 4 characters go through major character arcs in the first season.  Not bad for 10 episodes.