News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Books to read suggestions? oO

Started by AFactNeedingPerson, September 17, 2020, 01:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

Quote from: AFactNeedingPerson on September 21, 2020, 05:05:20 PM
I appreciate the book suggestions yall.  The thread kind of took a different route...lol

Check out the link in my sig and you'll find lots of great reading about atheism related topics.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on September 21, 2020, 05:15:44 PM
Get back to us, which books you enjoy.  We haven't all read all of them.

Speak for yourself!

;-)
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 21, 2020, 08:38:32 PM
Maxwell's demon is not an argument, it's a thought experiment.

How thoughtless of you ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on September 21, 2020, 07:10:12 PM
It's just an arbitrary quality by assumption only.  It lures the sheep in.  Just hearing the word "perfect" puts them in a Jesus trance, and they say, "Yeah, that's right.  God is perfect, so he must exist.  There's not enough there to even make a fake syllogism.  Just a series of mental lapses, and a conclusion.

Part of the theological masturbation theologians engage in.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: trdsf on September 21, 2020, 04:24:08 PM
I meant I've never gotten an answer as to why 'perfect' means 'must exist'.
Meh, it's just a greatness. My god is great because... [long list of improbable things]. The god dicksizing chat in "Conan, The Barbarian" is an example.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 22, 2020, 07:37:32 AM
Meh, it's just a greatness. My god is great because... [long list of improbable things]. The god dicksizing chat in "Conan, The Barbarian" is an example.

Krum would be your kind of pagan god ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

I would not say I'm only 99% certain that Santa Claus doesn't exist, or Aquaman doesn't exist. So why can I only be 99% sure that God doesn't exist?
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 22, 2020, 11:20:40 AM
Krom.

Now you said it!  Please don't properly pronounce Cthulhu ... we don't need another primal god arising!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 22, 2020, 01:51:54 PM
I would not say I'm only 99% certain that Santa Claus doesn't exist, or Aquaman doesn't exist. So why can I only be 99% sure that God doesn't exist?

Just expressing your cultural preferences.  As we all do.  Of course, in human conflict, we want to dictate to every other person on the planet, even though we can't get our spouse or children to obey us ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 22, 2020, 01:51:54 PM
My don'tcareness starts way before 99%.
PZ Myers