Jordan Peterson on Dostoevsky and Nihilsm

Started by Baruch, December 17, 2017, 01:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

In my late 20s, I recognized the difference between alone and lonely.  I probably understood it before then on an intellectual level, but it was one of those insights where you understand something at a deeper level.  It was a pivotal moment in my life.  Sounds strange, probably.  But it was meaningful to me.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 03, 2018, 04:12:01 PM
Alone doesn't mean lonely - I don't know that I've ever been lonely, even when I've been alone for months at a time.

I was lonely until I was married for a few years ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Reminds me Kim's rendition of Oh so ronery from Team America...
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on January 03, 2018, 05:09:31 PM
In my late 20s, I recognized the difference between alone and lonely.  I probably understood it before then on an intellectual level, but it was one of those insights where you understand something at a deeper level.  It was a pivotal moment in my life.  Sounds strange, probably.  But it was meaningful to me.
There was a point where I realized that I was never alone, for I always had me and myself to keep me company.  And I realized that I liked that company quite well.  Yeah, that was a turning point for me.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

I suspect that people who really hate being alone don't like themselves enough to spend quality time with themselves.
God Not Found

surreptitious57

When you are alone for a long time you cannot really hide from yourself which might be why some do not like
it but it varies from person to person. Long as I have some mental stimulation then it is not a problem for me
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN

Unbeliever

I never get bored when I'm alone, only when I'm with boring people who only want to yak about their boring little lives. I especially despise their stories about their medical problems, but I'm always polite enough not to let them know how boring they are. Maybe that's disingenuous, but I'd rather be polite than truthful sometimes.
God Not Found

surreptitious57

Great minds discuss ideas / average minds discuss events / small minds discuss people
This is not strictly true but there is nonetheless a lot of truth to this very famous saying
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN

Baruch

Quote from: surreptitious57 on January 03, 2018, 10:21:57 PM
Great minds discuss ideas / average minds discuss events / small minds discuss people
This is not strictly true but there is nonetheless a lot of truth to this very famous saying

Or is that an example of human psychopathic spectrum.  people who discuss ideas, are megalomaniacs?  Or is that an example of sexism ... women typically are people people?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Sal1981 on January 03, 2018, 01:03:46 AM
I didn't say we shouldn't improve. I think we should strive to better ourselves, but we can do so without having lofty goals, just be realistic is all.

We should look to being more than what we are today...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 27, 2018, 08:51:11 AM
We should look to being more than what we are today...

Gaining weight is bad for most people ;-)

Yes, I am constantly improving myself, every day.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 27, 2018, 09:27:29 AM
Gaining weight is bad for most people ;-)

Yes, I am constantly improving myself, every day.

One less glazed apple cinnomon fritter per day works well in a year...

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 27, 2018, 09:45:47 AM
One less glazed apple cinnomon fritter per day works well in a year...

Thank your body you aren't diabetic ... or more serious dieting for you!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 27, 2018, 09:49:21 AM
Thank your body you aren't diabetic ... or more serious dieting for you!

That and some fresh fruit is about all the sugar I see in a day.    Its not even a challenge.  I just happen to not like things that are bad for me and like things that are good.  Can't stand fish though.  No one's purrfect.