Jordan Peterson on Dostoevsky and Nihilsm

Started by Baruch, December 17, 2017, 01:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on January 03, 2018, 01:03:46 AM
I didn't say we shouldn't improve. I think we should strive to better ourselves, but we can do so without having lofty goals, just be realistic is all.

Yeah, that song, "Dream the impossible dream ..." ... nightmare of Don Quixote.  This is why idealists tilt at windmills.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

surreptitious57

One cannot attain perfection but one can strive to be as less imperfect as possible. Buddhism states that the
cause of all suffering is craving so therefore removing it reduces suffering. This is true but craving cannot be
completely discarded. For one is always craving something since that is a fundamental part of human nature
The distinction should be between what can be craved and what cannot. Between our good cravings and bad
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN

Mike Cl

Quote from: surreptitious57 on January 03, 2018, 10:21:44 AM
One cannot attain perfection but one can strive to be as less imperfect as possible. Buddhism states that the
cause of all suffering is craving so therefore removing it reduces suffering. This is true but craving cannot be
completely discarded. For one is always craving something since that is a fundamental part of human nature
The distinction should be between what can be craved and what cannot. Between our good cravings and bad
Yeah, that.

I like to call it the striving for balance between emotions and reason.  That has been my life long battle--striving for that balance.  At times one has a stronger influence on me than the other, but when both are balanced I feel the calmest and most content. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on January 03, 2018, 10:38:28 AM
Yeah, that.

I like to call it the striving for balance between emotions and reason.  That has been my life long battle--striving for that balance.  At times one has a stronger influence on me than the other, but when both are balanced I feel the calmest and most content. 
It was a battle for me too, but emotions always won.  Now I try to ignore them as much as possible.  My emotions are still strong enough that the last thing they need is nurturing.  So the balance seems to be in ignoring them.  That makes it about 70/30 emotion vs reason.  :biggrin:

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on January 03, 2018, 11:35:04 AM
It was a battle for me too, but emotions always won.  Now I try to ignore them as much as possible.  My emotions are still strong enough that the last thing they need is nurturing.  So the balance seems to be in ignoring them.  That makes it about 70/30 emotion vs reason.  :biggrin:
Yeah, I hear you.  And I basically have figured it out in that manner and percentage.  I like to tell my wife that I don't 'need' her in my life, but I very much want her there.  The 'need' part is pure emotion and it creates a dependency that become burdensome for both of us and causes resentments in each of us as well.  Wanting her in my life is not always logical, but with the aid of my emotions I can see the long term (and short term as well) benefits for us both.  Rationally, I can get along with me, myself, and I, just fine.  Emotions are fine--they have their place; as long as they stay in that place. :)
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

surreptitious57

I find that I am becoming more logical and less emotional over time. I find it better to be simply an observer
of life rather than a participant in it. To being more detached from it. I find I am less opinionated than I used
to be and have no problem at all in not knowing everything. Even the things I do know I accept more quietly
I put all this down to being older and wiser and realising that life is simply a tiny blip between pre conception
and post death. Nothing in the grand scheme of things really matters. One does whatever they can with their
life and then they die. Death might be eternal but it should not be feared because it is the end of all suffering

Unbeliever

Quote from: surreptitious57 on January 03, 2018, 12:54:57 PM
I find that I am becoming more logical and less emotional over time. I find it better to be simply an observer
of life rather than a participant in it. To being more detached from it. I find I am less opinionated than I used
to be and have no problem at all in not knowing everything. Even the things I do know I accept more quietly
I put all this down to being older and wiser and realising that life is simply a tiny blip between pre conception
and post death. Nothing in the grand scheme of things really matters. One does whatever they can with their
life and then they die. Death might be eternal but it should not be feared because it is the end of all suffering
Good post! I could've written that myself - it's indistinguishable from my own attitude, especially the part about being an observer of life rather than a participant.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

surreptitious57

I spend nearly all my time alone so it is easy for me to be detached. I do not see it as being negative
because it provides me with physical and psychological space. My goal in life is knowledge acquisition
and learning for me is better done alone and so being alone is actually helping me to achieve my goal

SGOS

Quote from: surreptitious57 on January 03, 2018, 02:47:10 PM
I spend nearly all my time alone so it is easy for me to be detached. I do not see it as being negative
because it provides me with physical and psychological space. My goal in life is knowledge acquisition
and learning for me is better done alone and so being alone is actually helping me to achieve my goal
Me too.  I enjoy spending a lot of my time alone.  I don't ponder why that is.  It's just the way it is. 

surreptitious57

I once read that we have less friends as we age. Nowadays people communicate way more in cyber space than
in meat space. But there are also more traditional reasons like divorce and bereavement and retirement. Every
one should ideally spend some time alone as you cannot guarantee that there will always be people in your life

Unbeliever

I treasure solitude even more than most people treasure gold. I'm really only in my comfort zone when I'm alone.
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 03, 2018, 04:02:16 PM
I treasure solitude even more than most people treasure gold. I'm really only in my comfort zone when I'm alone.

That is a bit too lonely, given that you are retired?  While I am still working, there is no problem being alone.  While married, I was only alone when driving too or from work.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on January 03, 2018, 12:24:22 PM
Yeah, I hear you.  And I basically have figured it out in that manner and percentage.  I like to tell my wife that I don't 'need' her in my life, but I very much want her there.  The 'need' part is pure emotion and it creates a dependency that become burdensome for both of us and causes resentments in each of us as well.  Wanting her in my life is not always logical, but with the aid of my emotions I can see the long term (and short term as well) benefits for us both.  Rationally, I can get along with me, myself, and I, just fine.  Emotions are fine--they have their place; as long as they stay in that place. :)

Co-dependency doesn't a good marriage make.  I know ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on January 03, 2018, 04:06:47 PM
That is a bit too lonely, given that you are retired?  While I am still working, there is no problem being alone.  While married, I was only alone when driving too or from work.
Alone doesn't mean lonely - I don't know that I've ever been lonely, even when I've been alone for months at a time.
God Not Found

surreptitious57

Being lonely means you do not like being alone while being alone means you
either like being alone or do not mind being alone. So they are not the same