Jordan Peterson on Dostoevsky and Nihilsm

Started by Baruch, December 17, 2017, 01:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBA1MDmfkoY

A whole nine minutes.  Quotes Dostoevsky and Nietzsche ... there are people here who fit this profile, sad to say.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 17, 2017, 01:29:17 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBA1MDmfkoY

A whole nine minutes.  Quotes Dostoevsky and Nietzsche ... there are people here who fit this profile, sad to say.

I'm sure there are many.  I just don't pay any attention to them  I suppose "Neitzsche is Peachy", but I Can't not prefer Kant.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

surreptitious57

Utopia can never exist because it is by definition perfect and human beings are not perfect. Also not every
ones idea of it is the same. And human society is and has always been hierarchical whereas Utopia implies
absolute equality. The only place Utopia can actually exist is in a novel. It can not be translated into reality
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN

Baruch

Quote from: surreptitious57 on January 01, 2018, 11:12:21 AM
Utopia can never exist because it is by definition perfect and human beings are not perfect. Also not every
ones idea of it is the same. And human society is and has always been hierarchical whereas Utopia implies
absolute equality. The only place Utopia can actually exist is in a novel. It can not be translated into reality

If you try to make a fiction real, say Robinson Crusoe ... you won't enjoy being marooned on a deserted island, and Friday will demand wages.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sal1981

Given human nature, utopia is impossible to be realized.

pr126

surreptitious57

Peterson is a powerful voice in the culture wars and some one I listen to whenever I can
He talks about psychology as well as that is what he is so it is not all about social justice
I like him because he speaks with authority and argues his position in a very logical way
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN

Baruch

Quote from: surreptitious57 on January 02, 2018, 03:54:12 AM
Peterson is a powerful voice in the culture wars and some one I listen to whenever I can
He talks about psychology as well as that is what he is so it is not all about social justice
I like him because he speaks with authority and argues his position in a very logical way

On the other hand, all psychologists are in need of therapy ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

I read Notes from the Underground in college.  It was a brilliant piece of writing, probably the only thing Dostoyevsky ever wrote that was worth a shit.  Of course, his other works have great notoriety, but they were always heavy wades for me with only brief glimpses into the human condition.  I finally decided to dispense with all Russian literature and search out less depressing and more uplifting shit.

Utopias are impossible.  We all know that.  The word is a synonym for any failed ideology.  Not one sci fi movie ever painted a picture of a utopia that wasn't fundamentally crazy, yet conservative or liberal, we are always advocating some type of utopia.  As suggested in the video, utopias are ideological constructs that totally misrepresent human psychology.  The invasion of Iraq was founded on a Utopian thought process, something the neocons seemed to sincerely believe, while totally disregarding human psychology.  "Remove a sadistic brutal leader and oppressed humans will automatically gravitate towards freedom, because everyone wants to be free."  Yeah, it makes total sense if you actually believe that, but the process will always fail because the premise is false, and based on deceptive semantics.

Ideologies go hand and hand with politics.  Ideologies don't go hand in hand with logic.  Ideologies require an environment like politics, where logic is neither embraced or called for to achieve an ideological utopia.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Sal1981 on January 01, 2018, 07:47:31 PM
Given human nature, utopia is impossible to be realized.
Perfection may be impossible to achieve, but if we strive for it we can at least be pretty damned good. What's the alternative, just settle for the crap we have now?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 02, 2018, 02:22:31 PM
Perfection may be impossible to achieve, but if we strive for it we can at least be pretty damned good. What's the alternative, just settle for the crap we have now?

Aren't you the apostle of apathy?  Why would you care?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I didn't say I care, but people do. But you still didn't answer the question. Why not strive for perfection, even though it can never be achieved?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 02, 2018, 07:16:39 PM
I didn't say I care, but people do. But you still didn't answer the question. Why not strive for perfection, even though it can never be achieved?

Very Nietzsche that.  What is perfection?  What is striving?  Buddhism for example would deny both.  The Heart Sutra would deny both.

Or I could say, I am perfect, just as I am now, or was, or will be.  And striving is to misunderstand becoming.

Is perfection applicable to only one circumstance, is it unchanging?  Ontological proofs of god claim that ... only applicable to G-d's circumstance, and unchanging.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sal1981

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 02, 2018, 02:22:31 PM
I didn't say we shouldn't improve. I think we should strive to better ourselves, but we can do so without having lofty goals, just be realistic is all.