Lillia Tarawa - "I Grew Up In A Cult", Gloriavale NZ Tedx Talk

Started by Shiranu, December 24, 2017, 11:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

A woman's experience growing up in a Christian cult town of about 600 people... a cult town that still exists to this day. It's not a happy story, but at least it has a happy ending.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

It is good to have a particular culture (as opposed to generic) and to have closeness with relatives and neighbors.  But too much of a good thing.  I think this comes from parents being paranoid, and wanting to protect their children.  Perhaps that drives much of home-schooling.  Don't deal with symptoms, deal with causes.  Lack of free psychiatric care is even more of an issue that lack of free medical care.

My growing up experience in major metro areas was the opposite .. distance with relatives and neighbors.  Culture based on the TV.  This created a need in me for something more specific, more exclusive.  Religion and ethnicity fulfilled this.  But I control how much, and in what manner I do it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 25, 2017, 08:15:57 AM
It is good to have a particular culture (as opposed to generic) and to have closeness with relatives and neighbors.  But too much of a good thing.  I think this comes from parents being paranoid, and wanting to protect their children.  Perhaps that drives much of home-schooling.  Don't deal with symptoms, deal with causes.  Lack of free psychiatric care is even more of an issue that lack of free medical care.

My growing up experience in major metro areas was the opposite .. distance with relatives and neighbors.  Culture based on the TV.  This created a need in me for something more specific, more exclusive.  Religion and ethnicity fulfilled this.  But I control how much, and in what manner I do it.

I wish I could justify forced "de-culting".  But I can't.  And would fight to prevent it.  The best I can support is neutral territory and freedom to decide with whatever help someone wants.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 26, 2017, 12:07:48 PM
I wish I could justify forced "de-culting".  But I can't.  And would fight to prevent it.  The best I can support is neutral territory and freedom to decide with whatever help someone wants.

De-programming was itself a cult of hysteria in the 1980s.  Too bad nobody ever thought to deprogram Democrats?  or Republicans?  I see ideology even more dangerous than theology.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

They should've put more powder on those beautiful - shiny - cheeks.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Sal1981

fencerider

I am going to guess that there are some communities in the south that are just as screwed up as her town
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Baruch

Quote from: fencerider on December 31, 2017, 10:53:11 PM
I am going to guess that there are some communities in the south that are just as screwed up as her town

All human culture, on the small scale, is tribal.  Do you think you are the exception?  On the mass scale, is it better?  Maybe.

I have lived in giant metro areas (LA area) and villages of 200 people.  What I find is that, unless you are born in the village, you are always a foreigner.  Of course in the example of this girl, she has the view of an insider.  In a giant metro, nobody notices you coming or going.  Except in country club circles nobody cares either.  The country club is like a village, a very wealthy village.  They follow the cult of money.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.