News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

What the...???

Started by ƵenKlassen, December 13, 2017, 10:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 02, 2018, 12:53:30 PM
No, it was my 1966 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible.  And I will be glad to discuss European migration with you more fully.

We were only dealing with 450-550 CE ... you wanted to expand it in both time directions.  The Vikings show up in England, in a big way, around 850 CE.  That is the forming of the Danelaw.

Of course pre-historic migrations, are going to be unclear, and tendentious.  I am not sure I believe scholarship in making un-provable claims.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 02, 2018, 01:01:25 PM
We were only dealing with 450-550 CE ... you wanted to expand it in both time directions.  The Vikings show up in England, in a big way, around 850 CE.  That is the forming of the Danelaw.

Of course pre-historic migrations, are going to be unclear, and tendentious.  I am not sure I believe scholarship in making un-provable claims.

I'm fine with 450-550CE.  Gupta Indians and bronze age trans-alpian Thuringian Europeans...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 02, 2018, 01:11:39 PM
I'm fine with 450-550CE.  Gupta Indians and bronze age trans-alpian Thuringian Europeans...

In both cases, I think Iron Age.  The Bronze Age was already over in even backward Europe by then.  The Guptas made giant steel columns.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Cavebear on February 02, 2018, 04:52:46 AM
Well, "English" is mostly a blend of French, Norse, German, and merchant words from far away.  On one hand, it is amazing that English has any poetry.  On the other, poetry from other languages seems so easy (everything rhymes by the endings of words.

There are good reasons why English is so hard:

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 02, 2018, 01:27:53 PM

There are good reasons why English is so hard:

I sure won't disagree with THAT.  English is irrational and illogical.  Thank Teacher and Parent we learn it before our logic systems kick in.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on February 02, 2018, 12:33:21 PM
OK ... Angles from E side of Jutland.
Were those the Obtuse Angles?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 02, 2018, 01:33:14 PM

Those are just the boys.  Any Feminist could know that the girls were Acute Angles ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 02, 2018, 01:33:14 PM

Those were the Obtucian Angles.  They migrated to Italy.  The Right ones went to Agleland (West Suffex I think).  The a cute ones went to Hollywood.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on February 02, 2018, 12:14:23 PM
Yeah, "assault AND battery", mutton vs sheep" etc.  But, um, anglo-saxon is anglo-saxon from denmark.  I can go back farther if you want...
You can  commit assault without battery. If you say you're going to shoot someone you've committed assault. If you then actually do it, that's battery.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on February 07, 2018, 05:52:22 AM
You can  commit assault without battery. If you say you're going to shoot someone you've committed assault. If you then actually do it, that's battery.

The point was that some "duplicate" terms come from English AND French so that all the Norman subjects would understand the law...