News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

What the...???

Started by ƵenKlassen, December 13, 2017, 10:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 26, 2017, 05:32:43 PM
I've heard that, as a second language, English is the most difficult language to master. Maybe even as a first language.

Well, "English" is mostly a blend of French, Norse, German, and merchant words from far away.  On one hand, it is amazing that English has any poetry.  On the other, poetry from other languages seems so easy (everything rhymes by the endings of words.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

I've heard that, as a second language, English is the most difficult language to master. Maybe even as a first language.
I was sitting at a cafe in Berlin back in the day and the two young (college age) ladies at the next table were doing their English homework. They were struggling. I popped a suggestion their way and they came over and sat at my table. ( :) ) A few minutes later one of them slammed her book down and said (cleaned up) "Do they really teach this shit to babies?" Coming from a German speaker this was impressive.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 02, 2018, 04:52:46 AM
Well, "English" is mostly a blend of French, Norse, German, and merchant words from far away.  On one hand, it is amazing that English has any poetry.  On the other, poetry from other languages seems so easy (everything rhymes by the endings of words.

There were two classes 700 years ago in England.  The lower classes speaking Anglo-Saxon, and the upper class speaking French, with fancy words from Latin etc in there for those who went to Oxford.  The Black Death changed all that.  A creole language was formed by all the orphans, a broken language of the streets.  That and lower class people wanting to sound sophisticated with loan words.  Old Anglo-Saxon itself, is closely related to a Dutch dialect ... Frisian.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on February 02, 2018, 07:07:24 AM
I was sitting at a cafe in Berlin back in the day and the two young (college age) ladies at the next table were doing their English homework. They were struggling. I popped a suggestion their way and they came over and sat at my table. ( :) ) A few minutes later one of them slammed her book down and said (cleaned up) "Do they really teach this shit to babies?" Coming from a German speaker this was impressive.

Got you 2 women at your table, right?  Everyone from elsewhere is interesting.  This New England guy got sent to Ft Worth Texas on business once and I was a hottie by the accent in the local bar.  WooHOO!

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 02, 2018, 07:33:17 AM
There were two classes 700 years ago in England.  The lower classes speaking Anglo-Saxon, and the upper class speaking French, with fancy words from Latin etc in there for those who went to Oxford.  The Black Death changed all that.  A creole language was formed by all the orphans, a broken language of the streets.  That and lower class people wanting to sound sophisticated with loan words.  Old Anglo-Saxon itself, is closely related to a Dutch dialect ... Frisian.

Yeah, "assault AND battery", mutton vs sheep" etc.  But, um, anglo-saxon is anglo-saxon from denmark.  I can go back farther if you want...

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 02, 2018, 12:14:23 PM
Yeah, "assault AND battery", mutton vs sheep" etc.  But, um, anglo-saxon is anglo-saxon from denmark.  I can go back farther if you want...

Not by dialect ... by geography.  Angles, Saxons and Jutes.  Jutes in Denmark, Saxons in NW Germany, Angles closer to Holland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Saxon_settlement_of_Britain#/media/File:Saxon.emigration.5th.cen.jpg

The dialect is Frisian today, and they are on the N Sea on the edge of Holland today.  1600 years ago, not so much.

Danes came later ... in 850 CE.  The Anglo-Saxons came in 450 CE.  Denmark wasn't Denmark, until the Danes moved down from S Sweden into that peninsula when the Anglo-Saxons-Jutes moved out.  On thing that motivated them to move, was to get away from Attila the Hun, and take advantage of Romano-British weakness.

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

I tried to learn some Spanish.  I bought a set of 4 or 5 DVDs on the cheap.  It started out OK, going real slow, but after I had mastered maybe 10 vocabulary words they started throwing sentences at me with words I had never been exposed to.  I never got so lost in such a hurry.  I gave up in despair, even though I heard Spanish was supposed to be one of the easier languages to learn.  Maybe I should have tired Mandarin.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 02, 2018, 12:21:25 PM
Not by dialect ... by geography.  Angles, Saxons and Jutes.  Jutes in Denmark, Saxons in NW Germany, Angles closer to Holland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Saxon_settlement_of_Britain#/media/File:Saxon.emigration.5th.cen.jpg

The dialect is Frisian today, and they are on the N Sea on the edge of Holland today.  1600 years ago, not so much.

Danes came later ... in 850 CE.  The Anglo-Saxons came in 450 CE.  Denmark wasn't Denmark, until the Danes moved down from S Sweden into that peninsula when the Anglo-Saxons-Jutes moved out.  On thing that motivated them to move, was to get away from Attila the Hun, and take advantage of Romano-British weakness.

The Angles came from the Baltic shores.  Well, ALL the goths came from the Asian steppes originally. Not going back to OOA details of course...

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on February 02, 2018, 12:24:51 PM
I tried to learn some Spanish.  I bought a set of 4 or 5 DVDs on the cheap.  It started out OK, going real slow, but after I had mastered maybe 10 vocabulary words they started throwing sentences at me with words I had never been exposed to.  I never got so lost in such a hurry.  I gave up in despair, even though I heard Spanish was supposed to be one of the easier languages to learn.  Maybe I should have tired Mandarin.

Sorry you were a victim of poor pedagogy.  Spanish is a nice language.  I learned Esperanto last September (in 2 weeks) ... the easiest language to learn (and similar to Romance languages).  Also some people have a knack, not everyone takes to language, even their native one.

Mandarin is seriously challenging ...

QuoteTop 10 Hardest Languages For Translators to Learn:

Mandarin. Mandarin is a language within the Chinese language group and is actually the most spoken language in the world. ...
Arabic. ...
Japanese. ...
Hungarian. ...
Korean. ...
Finnish. ...
Basque. ...
Navajo....

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 02, 2018, 12:29:51 PM
The Angles came from the Baltic shores.  Well, ALL the goths came from the Asian steppes originally. Not going back to OOA details of course...

OK ... Angles from E side of Jutland.  Jutes in main part of Jutland.  And no, I don't care how far the Germanics go back to S Russian barbarians.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 02, 2018, 12:33:21 PM
OK ... Angles from E side of Jutland.  Jutes in main part of Jutland.  And no, I don't care how far the Germanics go back to S Russian barbarians.

Aw, you just don't like the Cro-magnon late-comers.   You are obviously an anti-blond-haired blue-eyed guy...  LOL!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 02, 2018, 12:40:17 PM
Aw, you just don't like the Cro-magnon late-comers.   You are obviously an anti-blond-haired blue-eyed guy...  LOL!

I think that 6000 years ago, when the Bronza Age came to the S Russian steppes ... that wasn't Cro-Magnon.  And I don't think that all the Aryans were blond or blue eyed, and still aren't.  They are a mixed group like all others.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 02, 2018, 12:43:49 PM
I think that 6000 years ago, when the Bronza Age came to the S Russian steppes ... that wasn't Cro-Magnon.  And I don't think that all the Aryans were blond or blue eyed, and still aren't.  They are a mixed group like all others.

Those weren't the Anglos, Saxons, OR Jutes.  They came WAY later.  You are talking about the pre-Picts. 

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 02, 2018, 12:49:00 PM
Those weren't the Anglos, Saxons, OR Jutes.  They came WAY later.  You are talking about the pre-Picts.

You are the one who wanted to go there (subject).  Now we will hear how you wowed all the HS girls with your fancy chariot.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 02, 2018, 12:50:05 PM
You are the one who wanted to go there (subject).  Now we will hear how you wowed all the HS girls with your fancy chariot.

No, it was my 1966 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible.  And I will be glad to discuss European migration with you more fully.