News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

What the...???

Started by ƵenKlassen, December 13, 2017, 10:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ƵenKlassen

Why are there so many contradictions in the Christian bible?...

Like this for example:

Genesis 1:28 God encourages reproduction.

Leviticus 12:1-8 God requires purification rites following childbirth which, in effect, makes childbirth a sin. (Note: The period for purification following the birth of a daughter is twice that for a son.)

And there's more of that where that came from:
https://infidels.org/library/modern/donald_morgan/contradictions.html
You're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't.

Blackleaf

Quote from: ƵenKlassen on December 13, 2017, 10:16:07 PM
Why are there so many contradictions in the Christian bible?...

Like this for example:

Genesis 1:28 God encourages reproduction.

Leviticus 12:1-8 God requires purification rites following childbirth which, in effect, makes childbirth a sin. (Note: The period for purification following the birth of a daughter is twice that for a son.)

And there's more of that where that came from:
https://infidels.org/library/modern/donald_morgan/contradictions.html

Because the Bible was written by several people over thousands of years, each author conveniently changing God to suit their needs. In the earliest books, Yahweh was one of several gods, but somewhere along the way, one prophet decided that Yahweh wasn't just jealous of other gods, but he was the only god. God's personality, desires, and rules reflect on the author at the time.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Munch

First off, disappointed in the lack of bat tits.

Second, seems an odd thing to make a forum post titled with a shock and surprise over like you just found this out like its breaking news.

before the internet, the spread of information was constrained and getting across the idea that the bible was a load of bullshit written by cult leaders to manipulate people was harder to get across. These days with information tied in with anonymity, as in telling and reading things in private, as well as things people open and not sourced just to sell newspapers or gain ratings, we live in a time now where we can tell the facts about these cults, Christianity, Islam, Judaism, without being shouted down or censored or just information being withheld.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

ƵenKlassen

Well, I just think that with all these contradictions, you would think that people would stop reading this stupid book, but I guess not.
You're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't.

Munch

Quote from: ƵenKlassen on December 14, 2017, 02:46:18 PM
Well, I just think that with all these contradictions, you would think that people would stop reading this stupid book, but I guess not.

people voted for trump, they make prank videos of mugging old people in the street, they believe in ghosts and slendermen and mothmen. People are stupid, even in the information age. We're still an ape species
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Unbeliever

Actually, according to surveys and stuff, hardly any Christians do read the Bible. Mostly they just get it in little cherry-picked spurts from the pastor/preacher/priest on their so-called holy days.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Paradoxical poetry isn't meant to be read literally, or make sense.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Christians don't read the Bible. They let apologists tell them what the Bible says and means, and apologists are expert bullshitters.
--Fulke Greville--

Cavebear

You would think, but be wrong (sadly).  The bible succeeds BECAUSE of the contradictions.  There is something there for everyone.  No matter what one thinks (as a theist), you can find a quote to support your views.  Never mind the contradictions, if one can find any part you like, you're proven!  The Bible said so!

And the same crap with all other religious texts. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Blackleaf

Quote from: Cavebear on December 15, 2017, 02:38:22 AM
You would think, but be wrong (sadly).  The bible succeeds BECAUSE of the contradictions.  There is something there for everyone.  No matter what one thinks (as a theist), you can find a quote to support your views.  Never mind the contradictions, if one can find any part you like, you're proven!  The Bible said so!

And the same crap with all other religious texts.

And if your quote contradicts mine, obviously you're the one cherrypicking.
--Fulke Greville--

Cavebear

Quote from: Blackleaf on December 15, 2017, 03:50:28 PM
And if your quote contradicts mine, obviously you're the one cherrypicking.

I'll point out that *I* don't "have" any bible quotes.  They come from a book of superstitions like all the others.  They aren't mine. 

Unbeliever

I think the generic "your" was the intention of Blackleaf's post, not you specifically Cavebear.
God Not Found

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 22, 2017, 04:32:09 PM
I think the generic "your" was the intention of Blackleaf's post, not you specifically Cavebear.

Correction appreciated.  My apologies.  English is tricky sometimes.

Unbeliever

I've heard that, as a second language, English is the most difficult language to master. Maybe even as a first language.
God Not Found

fencerider

O.P. I think its full of contradictions because nobody did any fact checking before it was dumped on the world.

It may be that people still believe it because the Catholic church kept it locked up for hundreds of years where nobody could read it and find the contradictions.

Or in the U.S. it may be that people still believe it because they are too dumb to think for themselves. I got people on facebook that still think Trump is a hero. Trump is going to be pres for 8 years. If democrat Mueller tries to impeach Trump they gonna break open grandpa’s gun cabinet to keep him away from Trump. There are a lot of people dont know that Medicare or Social Security are government programs want to make sure the government isnt gonna mess with them.

"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.