News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Doug Jones Wins!

Started by Hydra009, December 12, 2017, 11:28:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Some guy on NPR yesterday said Alabama's politics have historically revolved around race, still do, and always will.  I think it was partially in jest, because everyone in the discussion was laughing at it.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on December 13, 2017, 06:27:21 AM
You have been in a state of denial, the whole time I have known you ;-)
Likewise, Baruch.  Birds of a feather..........................??
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

trdsf

Quote from: _Xenu_ on December 13, 2017, 08:00:27 AM
Alabama law requires it to be within half a percentage point for a recount, so nope.
That's for an automatic recount; either candidate may request one.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Mike Cl

Quote from: Mermaid on December 13, 2017, 10:57:25 AM
The voter demographic is very telling.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/special-election-results/alabama/?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_ala-chart%3Aelections-2017%2Fgeneral&utm_term=.51a60d9ac6ea
It seems that most of the stupid people in this country are white.  I am thankful that that portion of the population is becoming smaller and smaller. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Blackleaf on December 13, 2017, 01:26:14 AM
Chalk up a point for human sanity. We could use a few more points on that side of the board.
I would say it was too close for comfort, to restore my faith in human sanity... but it is a relief he won

Mermaid

Quote from: PickelledEggs on December 13, 2017, 11:37:25 AM
I would say it was too close for comfort, to restore my faith in human sanity... but it is a relief he won

Exactly.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on December 13, 2017, 07:54:49 AM
Claiming Biden is creepy isn't a good defense.  It's not even relevant.

D's support their candidates, even if they shoot babies in the streets (Jones supports abortion, just sayin').  R's are just like that, only opposite.  So why should I vote for candidates of either branch of the Psycho Party?

No, you folks won't light torches and grab pitchforks .. if it is your own perverts.

All other things being equal, I am not a voter in Alabama.  Don't care who Trump or Bannon endorses.  And Judge Moore had nutcase written all over him.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on December 13, 2017, 08:46:43 AM
Likewise, Baruch.  Birds of a feather..........................??

Yes, I deny that QT says that reality is consistent (it isn't).  Consistency in physics was on the ropes with RT already.  Don't even ask about QFT (aka QT with RT).

I will stubbornly deny reductionism in general, and rationality in general.  Things are empirical, but not consistent.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on December 13, 2017, 08:10:50 AM
Some guy on NPR yesterday said Alabama's politics have historically revolved around race, still do, and always will.  I think it was partially in jest, because everyone in the discussion was laughing at it.

NPR ... isn't that the same as CNN? ;-)  And were they laughing at the audience, or with it?  I hardly think that Southern racism or anti-semitism is a laughing matter.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on December 13, 2017, 11:21:41 AM
It seems that most of the stupid people in this country are white.  I am thankful that that portion of the population is becoming smaller and smaller.

You can always wear Black Face ;-)  Are you related to Al Jolson?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Baruch on December 13, 2017, 12:34:53 PM
D's support their candidates, even if they shoot babies in the streets (Jones supports abortion, just sayin').  R's are just like that, only opposite.  So why should I vote for candidates of either branch of the Psycho Party?

No, you folks won't light torches and grab pitchforks .. if it is your own perverts.

I wonder if things would have been different for Bill Clinton or Donald Trump if their elections happened after #metoo. Given that Trump was recorded saying “You have to treat [women] like shit” and  "You know, I’m automatically attracted to beautiful â€" I just start kissing them. It’s like a magnet. Just kiss. I don’t even wait. And when you’re a star, they let you do it. You can do anything... Grab ’em by the pussy. You can do anything" I wonder if it would make a difference. It's weird to me that so many Christians believe Trump represents their values. I hope #metoo reflects a cultural shift in acceptable behavior and not a passing fad.

trdsf

Quote from: PickelledEggs on December 13, 2017, 11:37:25 AM
It says something about Alabama that 48.4% of voters were willing to be represented by an accused pedophile.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

PickelledEggs

Quote from: trdsf on December 13, 2017, 01:23:02 PM
It says something about Alabama that 48.4% of voters were willing to be represented by an accused pedophile.
Correct. Although some of that number consists of people that refuse to admit he is a pedophile

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

GSOgymrat

Quote from: PickelledEggs on December 13, 2017, 01:26:06 PM
Correct. Although some of that number consists of people that refuse to admit he is a pedophile

I read that some people felt giving a Senate seat to a Democrat and someone who is pro-choice is worse than someone who is a member of their tribe but accused of sexually inappropriate behavior-- better a flawed friend than an enemy.