News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Doug Jones Wins!

Started by Hydra009, December 12, 2017, 11:28:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/12/us/politics/alabama-senate-race-winner.html

Looks like Moore is going to have more free time to hang out at the mall.  Good times.

I'm also pleased to announce that the Republicans' strategy of selling their souls and forever ruining whatever public goodwill they might've once had - "sure he might be a pedo, but we really need this seat!" - all that sacrifice for absolutely no payoff.  They could've come out of this with their dignity or their seat, now they have neither.  Congratulations, you played yourself.

But I digress.  Job Jones actually has a decent if boilerplate platform.  It's not often that us North Carolinians envy Alabama, but having a US senator who's not a complete nutjob is definitely something I'm envious of right now.

Shiranu

48.8% to 49.6%...

Still a loss, imo.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on December 12, 2017, 11:29:39 PM
48.8% to 49.6%...

Still a loss, imo.
Yeah, that was way closer than it should've been.  Still, it's Alabama.  They're usually solid R.  Even a squeaker of an election victory represents a big shift in voting patterns.

Mike Cl

First time a Demo has won in over 25 yrs. !!  That is a victory.  And I really expected Moore to win--I am still in a little bit of denial.  Too good to be true................
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

fencerider

good work standin out in the rain givin wrong directions to the polls ;-)

What about a recount? Usually people want one when its close
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Mike Cl on December 12, 2017, 11:47:51 PM
First time a Demo has won in over 25 yrs. !!  That is a victory.  And I really expected Moore to win--I am still in a little bit of denial.  Too good to be true................

I too am waiting for the other shoe to drop. I wasn't expecting this outcome.

PickelledEggs

Blackleaf

Chalk up a point for human sanity. We could use a few more points on that side of the board.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

GrinningYMIR

Alabama didn't pick the worst, but still not a state im fond of
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 12, 2017, 11:35:11 PM
Yeah, that was way closer than it should've been.  Still, it's Alabama.  They're usually solid R.  Even a squeaker of an election victory represents a big shift in voting patterns.

They say ... rural Alabama vs urban Alabama.  So I guess you should thank NASA and DoD ... without NASA there would be no urban Alabama.  Demographics made it that close ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

You have been in a state of denial, the whole time I have known you ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

First time a Demo has won in over 25 yrs. !!  That is a victory.  And I really expected Moore to win
I knew it was going on and who the contestants were, but I didn't follow polling results all that close.  I thought I remember newscasters reporting Moore was ahead, but not the actual point spreads.  I also expected him to win because in spite of violating Federal Laws, he was still held in high Alabama Regard, and I thought that kind of blind ideological support would counter any child molesting he might have gotten into.  I knew Alabama had Democrats of course, but I assumed they were just there for show.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on December 13, 2017, 07:04:23 AM
I knew it was going on and who the contestants were, but I didn't follow polling results all that close.  I thought I remember newscasters reporting Moore was ahead, but not the actual point spreads.  I also expected him to win because in spite of violating Federal Laws, he was still held in high Alabama Regard, and I thought that kind of blind ideological support would counter any child molesting he might have gotten into.  I knew Alabama had Democrats of course, but I assumed they were just there for show.

Joe Biden is well known to be creepy around young girls too, and not decades ago.  The polling was up/down but Jones was up just before the actual vote.  Score a win (or 50/50 guessing) for the pollsters.  They didn't get it right, one day before the Presidential election.

Also ... all elections are to be 49% vs 51% ... because it makes it easier to buy votes at the last minute, and the people demand drama.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on December 13, 2017, 07:10:12 AM
Joe Biden is well known to be creepy around young girls too
Claiming Biden is creepy isn't a good defense.  It's not even relevant.

_Xenu_

Quote from: fencerider on December 13, 2017, 12:57:00 AM
good work standin out in the rain givin wrong directions to the polls ;-)

What about a recount? Usually people want one when its close
Alabama law requires it to be within half a percentage point for a recount, so nope.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home