Does the media love mass shooting?

Started by Coveny, February 23, 2018, 06:34:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: aitm on February 25, 2018, 09:52:00 PM
Hunting brings in very little food on an annual basis for any family. Hunting is far more useful in keeping the animal population stable and healthy. At least use that reason. Hunting for food is bull shit in this country. Sure it saves a couple bucks a year
Food is an incidental byproduct of hunting but not a cost effective source of nutrition, because the cost of procurement exceeds the cost of meat from the grocery store.  Hunters disregard the problem of economics, because they are engaged in a fantasy of man over beast, a battle of wits, where the hunted is vanquished, as the hunter returns to his home proud to be the competent provider who will carry his family safely through another brutal winter.

A more astute provider would get a paper route, and send his wife to the market with the money he earns.

Don't get me wrong.  I think the associated fantasy is a charming aspect of the hunt, and there is satisfaction in overpowering a large animal in its environment.  I'm not knocking this recreation.  I've been there and hunted for years in Montana, where every fall the forests would ring with the crack of rifles, and the backs of pickups overflowed with dead carcasses as hunters returned from a successful hunt.  Deer would hang in garages and back yards for two months, and family dogs would drag discarded deer hides onto their porches.  But it is an expensive way to put meat on the table.  I suppose you could look at it as free meat, as long as you admit you were going to kill the animal anyway, and that was the real reason you bought all the equipment necessary to do it.

aitm

Quote from: SGOS on February 26, 2018, 03:17:49 AM
Food is an incidental byproduct of hunting but not a cost effective source of nutrition,

Hunting, legally at least, is a very inefficient way to provide food for the family. Less than half get a deer so now you actually wasted money for nothing.  Very few people need to hunt to supplement their food sources. I can see fishing a far more economical net gain. But what would the fun be in that shooting into the water?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

Quote from: aitm on February 26, 2018, 07:24:54 AM
Hunting, legally at least
Jacking deer at night with a spotlight is probably somewhat more cost effective than legal hunting, assuming you avoid getting caught, but unless there are massive food shortages, modern day agriculture can still do it cheaper.  Hunting lost its vital status when man progressed from a hunter gatherer society to an agrarian one.  Today, hunting is a tradition.

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on February 26, 2018, 07:24:54 AM
Hunting, legally at least, is a very inefficient way to provide food for the family. Less than half get a deer so now you actually wasted money for nothing.  Very few people need to hunt to supplement their food sources. I can see fishing a far more economical net gain. But what would the fun be in that shooting into the water?

Real hillbillies use dynamite, to kill a lot of fish at the same time ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

aitm

I actually once shot a 2lb bass with my .357. It was in about 2' of water and I aimed 4" below it and opened it up. Never tried again, figured leave luck as it is so I could brag about it.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

In my teens, My father and I used to shoot spawning carp with a bow.  The arrow was attached to a reel on the bow.  The spawning season lasted a couple of weeks, and carp would spawn in the shallows.  There would be periods of quite, while standing in the boat at the ready, which would be interrupted by a wake appearing on the surface before the carp would actually break the surface, and then they would thrash about spraying water all over.  You had a second or two to get off a shot.  It would be a busy day.  We would get sunburned and tired.  We would give the carp to unlucky fishermen fishing on the banks upriver, while the carp were busy doing their thing in the shallows.  Some of the carp weighed close to 40 pounds.

But a .357?  I never thought of that.  Is that even legal?

PickelledEggs

Probably late to the party and this probably already taken care of, but, no you are not breaking rules. You aren't a "new member" as you have been here for quite a while, despite your semi-low post count. And putting a link in your signature is not against the rules, at least once you're no longer a new member.

Anyway. as you were.

Quote from: Coveny on February 23, 2018, 11:05:03 PM
I did read the rules. I assume you are talking about this rule:

2. No spam. Commercial messages or advertisements by new members will be deleted immediately and the poster banned. Please note that the forum has an in-built filter able to detect most spam messages and put them in a “waiting for approval” section visible only staff members. Spam also includes cut-and-paste proselytizing and hit-and-run proselytizing. Sending members unwanted or offensive pm's is also considered spam. Similarly, starting new threads of the same topic or very similar topics will be considered spam as well.

8. Links to own websites, etc.: Members are only allowed to publish links to their websites, blogs or YouTube channels or similar items on the internet when they have been a member for three months and have a post count of at least thirty.

I created a replied to a post about why I was doing what I was doing, I did not send individual PMs to people. (the definition of spam)

I am not a "new member" the info for my website was in my signature (as stated that I can do), other than responding to why I was posting this topic in multiple places I have not mentioned by website before other than in my signature. My date registered is September 07, 2017.

So I have NOT broken any of the forum rules, and yet I'm being insulted by the mod and called a "lady". 

anyone who "joins" is considered a new member, therefore.....I did not see a picture in your ave, therefore.....and if being called a lady is insulting to you then by all means I apologize.-aitm

The rules contradict your semantics. Rule #8 list "member" after 3 months and 30 posts, not "new member" as listed in rule #2. If the site defination of "new member" is anyone who "joins" then rule #8 needs to have the word "new" included. (also it might be a good idea to explain to your users that anyone who joined 5/29/2004 or later is considered a new member for all of eternity) I mean seriously just admit I didn't break the rules already, if you want to change the rules please do so and I will abide by them, but don't act like I did not follow the rules of this site, and my post and signature was deleted anyway.

Secondly you used "young lady" as an insult. If you didn't know my gender you could have used something gender neutral to address me. Calling me a young lady is you attempting to insult me in a sexist way. I do not feel that woman are inferior to mean, or that being a woman is a insult, so I don't accept your apology. (also it does not sound sincer in the least)

SGOS

Quote from: aitm on February 26, 2018, 03:12:36 PM
I actually once shot a 2lb bass with my .357. It was in about 2' of water and I aimed 4" below it and opened it up. Never tried again, figured leave luck as it is so I could brag about it.
Musky fishermen often had a 22 pistol in the tackle box.  I think I recall hearing they didn't actually shoot the fish, but would aim just above the head.  The impact of the bullet on the water would stun the fish, so they could haul it into the boat, but I don't have a highly reliable source on that.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on February 26, 2018, 03:44:33 PM
Musky fishermen often had a 22 pistol in the tackle box.  I think I recall hearing they didn't actually shoot the fish, but would aim just above the head.  The impact of the bullet on the water would stun the fish, so they could haul it into the boat, but I don't have a highly reliable source on that.

I was a more direct fish-killer on the rare times when I killed one (when someone else wanted it for dinner).  A glass coke bottle firmly to the head was sufficient (I saved an old one for that purpose).  I had a friend who had a better way.  He cut off the bottom of a baseball bat, hollowed it mostly out, and filled it with molten lead.  THAT had an impact!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on February 28, 2018, 12:13:12 AM
I was a more direct fish-killer on the rare times when I killed one (when someone else wanted it for dinner).  A glass coke bottle firmly to the head was sufficient (I saved an old one for that purpose).  I had a friend who had a better way.  He cut off the bottom of a baseball bat, hollowed it mostly out, and filled it with molten lead.  THAT had an impact!
I was with my father the morning he caught his first and only legal sized musky.  He used a gaff hook to haul it into the boat and a club to beat it into submission.  There was minute of chaos before he could get the fish under control and remove the hook.  I was maybe 10 years old, but it's one of those unforgettable memories, although probably altered with time.  It plays in my mind like fuzzy movie that at best creates a general impression of the event.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on February 28, 2018, 04:41:57 AM
I was with my father the morning he caught his first and only legal sized musky.  He used a gaff hook to haul it into the boat and a club to beat it into submission.  There was minute of chaos before he could get the fish under control and remove the hook.  I was maybe 10 years old, but it's one of those unforgettable memories, although probably altered with time.  It plays in my mind like fuzzy movie that at best creates a general impression of the event.

Actually, I hate eating fish.  I'm a catch and release guy except for that one 9 lb 8 ounce largemouth bass I have hanging on the wall.  I saved the coke bottle for the big catfish I gave away to the guys on the bank looking for dinner.  I had a knack for catching big ones.  And they needed a heavy whack!

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on February 28, 2018, 04:49:11 AM
Actually, I hate eating fish.  I'm a catch and release guy except for that one 9 lb 8 ounce largemouth bass I have hanging on the wall.  I saved the coke bottle for the big catfish I gave away to the guys on the bank looking for dinner.  I had a knack for catching big ones.  And they needed a heavy whack!
I loved fishing for the lunkers too.  In my teens I caught a lot of Northern Pike on trips to Ontario.  One took me 12 minutes to land.  My father actually timed the fight.  Then I moved to Montana, which was all about trout, which were better eating, but not as much fun.  I missed tangling with the trash fish as my father referred to them, and eventually, I didn't fish much in Montana.  Then I got into ocean sailing back in the 80s and encountered the joy of King Salmon, big and lots of fight, and better eating than anything else.  Now, I don't fish at all.  I don't even have an old rod and reel in my possession.

Cavebear

Quote from: aitm on February 25, 2018, 08:24:47 AM
I did not recognize you and failed to check your previous history. I indeed acted hastily. You may restore your siggy and my apologies.

I don't consider it legit after further thought.  Conveny is a troll too. 

Unbeliever

Quote from: Cavebear on February 28, 2018, 12:13:12 AM
There are all kinds of uses for old Coke bottles, apparently. Reminds me of the movie The Gods Must Be Crazy! :)
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 28, 2018, 01:50:21 PM
There are all kinds of uses for old Coke bottles, apparently. Reminds me of the movie The Gods Must Be Crazy! :)

I wouldn't be all that shocked if we found a coke bottle on Mars...  Those things got EVERYWHERE.