News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Opinions on Misotheists

Started by ƵenKlassen, December 12, 2017, 10:45:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ƵenKlassen

Okay, so everyone knows what an atheist is, but what about a misotheist?

Misotheist: A person who hates a God or Gods.

So, what is your opinion on misotheists? Let me know.
You're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't.

Mike Cl

Then they can't be an atheist.  If you 'hate' a god or gods then you are acknowledging  that they or it, exists.  An atheist does not acknowledge that such things as gods exist. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

ƵenKlassen

Quote from: Mike Cl on December 12, 2017, 10:53:19 AM
Then they can't be an atheist.  If you 'hate' a god or gods then you are acknowledging  that they or it, exists.  An atheist does not acknowledge that such things as gods exist.

Well, I didn't say that they're atheists, since you can't hate something you don't believe in. I just wanted to know what
people thought about misotheists, since people don't talk about them that often.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Mike Cl on December 12, 2017, 10:53:19 AM

I disagree. It is perfectly possible to hate a fictional character, especially when you were raised to believe in them, trusted them fully, and wasted years of your life, energy, and money serving them. I can think of a few fictional characters I've never had an emotional attachment to that I hate anyway. Umbridge from Harry Potter, Kazeem from Skyrim, nearly all of the Lannisters from Game of Thrones (especially Cersei), just to name a few.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

SGOS

Do you see it as related to atheism?  A misotheist is a theist, but you introduced the word side by side with atheist implying there was a relationship.

Shiranu

I don't think the two are mutually exclusive, but as for my opinion on them... sounds like a complete waste of time.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

ƵenKlassen

Quote from: SGOS on December 12, 2017, 11:14:56 AM
Do you see it as related to atheism?  A misotheist is a theist, but you introduced the word side by side with atheist implying there was a relationship.

No, I know misotheism is not related to atheism, since atheism is a lack of belief in a God or Gods, but misotheism
is a hatred of a God or Gods.

And yes, misotheists are theists, since they acknowledge the existence of a god or gods.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Blackleaf on December 12, 2017, 11:11:49 AM
I disagree. It is perfectly possible to hate a fictional character, especially when you were raised to believe in them, trusted them fully, and wasted years of your life, energy, and money serving them. I can think of a few fictional characters I've never had an emotional attachment to that I hate anyway. Umbridge from Harry Potter, Kazeem from Skyrim, nearly all of the Lannisters from Game of Thrones (especially Cersei), just to name a few.
Most likely I'm splitting hairs.  I hate some fictional characters, like Mighty Mouse and Papa Smurf.  But I also realize they are not alive--I hate what they symbolize for me or the idea they seem to display.  So, yeah, splitting hairs.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mike Cl

Quote from: ƵenKlassen on December 12, 2017, 11:21:44 AM
No, I know misotheism is not related to atheism, since atheism is a lack of belief in a God or Gods, but misotheism
is a hatred of a God or Gods.

And yes, misotheists are theists, since they acknowledge the existence of a god or gods.
Then they are like all theists--reasoning and rational thought is not something they do.

GSOgymrat

I've known a couple of people who were angry at God. One was a man whose son died at a young age. Prior to his son's death he had been a devout Catholic and attended services regularly. After his son's death he never went to church again, said he hated God and believed the world was a bad place. He still believed in God but remained bitter on the topic for the twenty years I knew him. He died of cancer a couple of years ago.

SGOS

Quote from: GSOgymrat on December 12, 2017, 11:46:11 AM
I've known a couple of people who were angry at God. One was a man whose son died at a young age. Prior to his son's death he had been a devout Catholic and attended services regularly. After his son's death he never went to church again, said he hated God and believed the world was a bad place. He still believed in God but remained bitter on the topic for the twenty years I knew him. He died of cancer a couple of years ago.
People have an odd way of processing thoughts.

ƵenKlassen

Yeah, I think I used to be a misotheist myself a few years ago. It was only until about 6 months ago that I became an atheist.

Mike Cl

Quote from: ƵenKlassen on December 12, 2017, 11:54:01 AM
Yeah, I think I used to be a misotheist myself a few years ago. It was only until about 6 months ago that I became an atheist.
Why the change??

Hakurei Reimu

A misotheist is like someone who hates Sonic the Hedgehog. They're hating on a fictional character, and just like an anti-Sonic fanboy, there's just about as much point to it.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on December 12, 2017, 11:11:49 AM

Wow ... I hate a lot of the same fictional people.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.