News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Bitcoin craze

Started by Sal1981, December 08, 2017, 09:23:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on December 18, 2017, 11:34:12 AM
Back in the early 70s, a time which I now consider "before inflation," I left a job at the University of Maine after three years.  They would not give me the money I had been required to put into their retirement plan.  It wasn't much, probably less than $1500 so I just forgot about it.  Many years later I got a mysterious letter from some outfit called TIAA CREF.  It looked like junk mail, and they said they needed to know my whereabouts.  Ordinarily, I would have thrown it in the garbage right away, but something about it caught my interest.  I cautiously called a phone number in the letter to find out what this was.  I'm not sure why.  Some guy on the phone said they were trying to locate me, and said something about a retirement plan.  I thought maybe he wanted to sell me one.   I asked, "Does this have something to do with me working at the University of Maine 20 years ago," and he replied, "Well, it might, I don't have that information in front of me right now.  You don't know who we are?"  I said I didn't, so he explained that I had this money that had been sitting in an account for years, and it could now be dispersed.  But I was still 10 years away from retirement.

I asked him how much was in the account, and he replied, "Well, there's $18,000 sitting in it right now, but you could leave it there or take part of it out in cash, or choose a monthly annuity payment."  This was somewhere after the time when the DOW had gone from 700 up to 2500, so I just left it there until I retired.  Now I get this little extra bump each month.  Not enough to live on by itself, but I chuckle every month when it shows up in my bank account.

Outstanding!  Found money is the best kind.  The choice is to spend it wisely or save/invest it wisely.  Good deciding!

I'm looking at electric cars myself.  I would do solar panels on the roof, but I have too many large trees shadibg it.  But that is passive cooling, so OK.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Shiranu

Bitcoin worth dropped by 1/3 of its total value yesterday. That was fast...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

SGOS

Quote from: Shiranu on December 22, 2017, 03:48:55 PM
Bitcoin worth dropped by 1/3 of its total value yesterday. That was fast...
Sheesh!  That's volatile.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on December 22, 2017, 03:59:28 PM

Nothing compared to BitCoin futures (BitCoin Cash) ... futures are turbulence magnified.  Bet all your money now, or you won't win!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjkwohRR7S4 ... and a fool and his money get out while they still can.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Blockchain is a real technology (nothing special however in fundamentals) used in BitCoin but can be used for many other things.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/12/iced-tea-company-changes-name-to-long-blockchain-stock-immediately-skyrockets

An example of stock mania to go with the BitCoin mania.  It is just Chinese housewives with hot yuan burning a hole in their hand.

Bonfire of the Vanity Faire.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on December 22, 2017, 03:59:28 PM

I am not the least surprised.  Indeed, I was expecting it. 

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 22, 2017, 11:37:28 PM
I am not the least surprised.  Indeed, I was expecting it.

Since 2008, the money is made in volatility, not value.  This used to be call churning, and was against the law.  Hence the LiteCoin founder admitting that every time he farted, the value of LiteCoin would jump up and down, like a man with bad case of diarrhea.

Traditional investing was based on integration, not differentiation.  An integration of a variable curve, gets smother the more times you integrated it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 22, 2017, 11:52:33 PM
Since 2008, the money is made in volatility, not value.  This used to be call churning, and was against the law.  Hence the LiteCoin founder admitting that every time he farted, the value of LiteCoin would jump up and down, like a man with bad case of diarrhea.

Traditional investing was based on integration, not differentiation.  An integration of a variable curve, gets smother the more times you integrated it.

Did you mean "smoother" or did you mean "smothered"?  It actually makes a difference in thought.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 23, 2017, 03:28:26 AM
Did you mean "smoother" or did you mean "smothered"?  It actually makes a difference in thought.

Oops ... smoother.   But Freudian Slip for the Chaos Capitalists ... so make a curve smoother, is to smother their gambling opportunities.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 23, 2017, 07:13:19 AM
Oops ... smoother.   But Freudian Slip for the Chaos Capitalists ... so make a curve smoother, is to smother their gambling opportunities.

Well, while you were deciding on "smoother", I hauled a trailerload of yard debris to the recycling center 12 miles away and got a load of still-steaming mulch in return and drove it home. 

What did YOU do the last hour?

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 23, 2017, 10:03:45 AM
Well, while you were deciding on "smoother", I hauled a trailerload of yard debris to the recycling center 12 miles away and got a load of still-steaming mulch in return and drove it home. 

What did YOU do the last hour?

Ate breakfast (breakfast burrito), had coffee.  Continued my study of 11th century Jewish-Arabic theology.  Listened to some Indian ragas.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 23, 2017, 11:30:42 AM
Ate breakfast (breakfast burrito), had coffee.  Continued my study of 11th century Jewish-Arabic theology.  Listened to some Indian ragas.

Good.  There is hope for you yet. 

Tell us about 11th century Jewish-Arabic theology... 

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 23, 2017, 12:35:17 PM
Good.  There is hope for you yet. 

Tell us about 11th century Jewish-Arabic theology...

You are joking, right?

So didn't mention that my cats gave me the privilege of supporting them this morning.  Also they let me go and buy more cat food for them.  I got stuff to make the holiday bracelet I am making for my daughter (the timing is holiday, not the bracelet).  I had lunch, ate half, and saved the rest for later.  I will read a little from my Modern Standard Arabic textbook to put me into nap time.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 23, 2017, 01:42:10 PM
You are joking, right?

So didn't mention that my cats gave me the privilege of supporting them this morning.  Also the let me go and buy more cat food for them.  I got stuff to make the holiday bracelet I am making for my daughter (the timing is holiday, not the bracelet).  I had lunch, ate half, and saved the rest for later.  I will read a little from my Modern Standard Arabic textbook to put me into nap time.

Fed the 3 cats 1st and 2nd breakfast, 1st and 2nd lunch, and 1st and 2nd dinner (one has volume issues).    Cleaned the 4 litter boxes.  Let them outside on the deck while standing there watching for the new hawk in the neighborhood.  It picked off 2 male cardinals last week and one squirrel.  I'm thinking of putting up netting and covering the deck.

Sometimes I spend an evening watching science/nature DVDs while eating dinner.  Or reading atheist tracts before watching MSNBC Hayes and Maddow. 

How can we be so similar and so different?  LOL!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 23, 2017, 02:04:25 PM
Fed the 3 cats 1st and 2nd breakfast, 1st and 2nd lunch, and 1st and 2nd dinner (one has volume issues).    Cleaned the 4 litter boxes.  Let them outside on the deck while standing there watching for the new hawk in the neighborhood.  It picked off 2 male cardinals last week and one squirrel.  I'm thinking of putting up netting and covering the deck.

Sometimes I spend an evening watching science/nature DVDs while eating dinner.  Or reading atheist tracts before watching MSNBC Hayes and Maddow. 

How can we be so similar and so different?  LOL!

There are billions of ways to be human.  So the miracle is the similarity, not the difference.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.