German-American Relationship Crumbling Post-Trump

Started by Shiranu, December 06, 2017, 05:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-germany-election-merkel-usa/u-s-no-longer-a-friend-in-merkel-election-program-idUSKBN19O1NS

QuoteBERLIN (Reuters) - In their campaign program for the German election, Chancellor Angela Merkel’s conservatives have dropped the term “friend” in describing the relationship with the United States.

Four years ago, the joint program of her Christian Democratic Union (CDU) and its Bavarian sister party, the Christian Social Union (CSU), referred to the United States as Germany’s “most important friend” outside of Europe.

The 2013 program also described the “friendship” with Washington as a “cornerstone” of Germany’s international relations and talked about strengthening transatlantic economic ties through the removal of trade barriers

But the words “friend” and “friendship” are missing from the latest election program - entitled “For a Germany in which we live well and happily” - which Merkel and CSU leader Horst Seehofer presented on Monday ahead of a Sept. 24 election.

Instead, the United States is described as Germany’s “most important partner” outside of Europe. CDU officials were not immediately available to comment on the change in wording.

The change in wording underscores how relations between Berlin and Washington have deteriorated since U.S. President Donald Trump entered the White House in January.

A survey by the Pew Research Center last week showed that just 35 percent of Germans have a favorable view of the United States, down from 57 percent at the end of President Barack Obama’s term.

Two other things: Recent polls in Germany show that before North Korea, China, and Russia... the United States is now considered the biggest threat to German interests by the majority of civilians, and Foreign Minister Sigmar Gabriel just today I believe stated that Germany and the United States are no longer "allies" and that the relationship between the two states has become irrevocably damaged.

So, I ask again... how is Saint Maga the good guy in this situation? Do you think Crooked Satan Baby Killer Hillary the Communist would have done as much damage with our strongest allies as Trump has? Our international reputation is the lowest it has been easily in my life time (and I lived through Bush Jr.), but I believe it is also reaching the lowest it has been at least post-WW2.

So explain; is his "not being the norm" still a net positive? His anti-Muslim views still justify how horrible of human being he is?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Germany is an actual multiparty system.  They don't have one opinion of the US.  I would be happy to have the US withdrawal from NATO, and have the Wehrmacht take over.  That will work out swell ;-))

I am not sure that a US President need be concerned about popular opinion in the US, let alone in some foreign country.  The Germans and the US have nothing in common.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: Baruch on December 06, 2017, 08:14:23 PM
Germany is an actual multiparty system.  They don't have one opinion of the US.  I would be happy to have the US withdrawal from NATO, and have the Wehrmacht take over.  That will work out swell ;-))

I am not sure that a US President need be concerned about popular opinion in the US, let alone in some foreign country.  The Germans and the US have nothing in common.

Foriegn views are important for peace.

trdsf

Quote from: Shiranu on December 06, 2017, 05:32:11 PM
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-germany-election-merkel-usa/u-s-no-longer-a-friend-in-merkel-election-program-idUSKBN19O1NS

Two other things: Recent polls in Germany show that before North Korea, China, and Russia... the United States is now considered the biggest threat to German interests by the majority of civilians, and Foreign Minister Sigmar Gabriel just today I believe stated that Germany and the United States are no longer "allies" and that the relationship between the two states has become irrevocably damaged.

So, I ask again... how is Saint Maga the good guy in this situation? Do you think Crooked Satan Baby Killer Hillary the Communist would have done as much damage with our strongest allies as Trump has? Our international reputation is the lowest it has been easily in my life time (and I lived through Bush Jr.), but I believe it is also reaching the lowest it has been at least post-WW2.

So explain; is his "not being the norm" still a net positive? His anti-Muslim views still justify how horrible of human being he is?

I suspect the pre-WW2 German government would consider him a friend.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on December 07, 2017, 12:03:22 PM
Foriegn views are important for peace.

5000 years now, and no peace.  What is this peace of which you speak?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on December 07, 2017, 12:13:41 PM
I suspect the pre-WW2 German government would consider him a friend.

Yea, because his ancestry is part Jewish, his son-in-law is Jewish, and he just recognized Jerusalem as Israeli capital?  For those reasons?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Every US international relation is crumbling around (and due to) Trump!  There seems to be nothing he will not do to distract attention from his illegalities.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 09, 2017, 04:00:09 AM
Every US international relation is crumbling around (and due to) Trump!  There seems to be nothing he will not do to distract attention from his illegalities.

Republican does something = illegal
Democrat does similar something = legal

Such partisanship!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 09, 2017, 04:59:51 AM
Republican does something = illegal
Democrat does similar something = legal

Such partisanship!

Funny, seems the other way around to me.  Be let's consider specific examples.  Name a few to support your claim.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 09, 2017, 05:58:46 AM
Funny, seems the other way around to me.  Be let's consider specific examples.  Name a few to support your claim.

I didn't even make a rhetorical question.  I was repeating your view.  I would say that in both cases, the results are illegal ... and good.  I don't believe in the religion of legality.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.