Supreme Court Upholds Texas Law Denying Same-Sex Couples Insurance Benefits

Started by Shiranu, December 04, 2017, 06:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

http://www.statesman.com/news/supreme-court-rejects-texas-case-gay-marriage-benefits/QWgUz5GV9ktKz1rTC3tIeI/
QuoteThe U.S. Supreme Court on Monday let stand a Texas ruling that said the right to a marriage license did not entitle same-sex couples to spousal benefits under employee insurance plans.

The city of Houston had asked the high court to overturn last June’s Texas Supreme Court decision, which determined that all marriage-related matters were not decided when the U.S. Supreme Court established a right to same-sex unions in 2015, leaving room for state courts to explore the limits of gay marriage.

The federal court’s decision, issued without comment, allowed the Texas ruling to stand.

Lawyers for Houston had argued that the Texas ruling was wrong, short-sighted and invited endless rounds of litigation from opponents determined to limit the impact of legalized same-sex marriage.

The Texas court merely said that the decision in Obergefell v. Hodges, while acknowledging the right of same-sex couples to marry, did not answer or resolve all marriage-related questions, including whether governments must provide the same benefits to same-sex couples that are provided to opposite-sex couples, they argued.

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

I'd like to ignore laws that don't suit me.  I don't care if ignoring such laws harms other people, as long as I get my way.  I just don't give a shit.  But damn; I don't have a religion that gives me that right.

Secular society:  "Let's treat all people fairly."
Christian society:  "It's not fair to ask us to be fair."
Outsiders: "How come only Christians get to be assholes?"

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on December 05, 2017, 07:14:44 AM
I'd like to ignore laws that don't suit me.  I don't care if ignoring such laws harms other people, as long as I get my way.  I just don't give a shit.  But damn; I don't have a religion that gives me that right.

Secular society:  "Let's treat all people fairly."
Christian society:  "It's not fair to ask us to be fair."
Outsiders: "How come only Christians get to be assholes?"

Secular society doesn't exist  The troll you voiced .. that is what real people are like.  Sorry.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on December 05, 2017, 07:17:28 AM
The troll you voiced .. that is what real people are like.  Sorry.
Some people are, but they stand out like a goat's ass, but it's a mistake to include everyone.  Yeah, I know.  To you, everyone is a selfish asshole, even yourself, so everyone should rightfully be Libertarian, I suppose.  But while everyone has biases and self interests, not everyone gets a place in the Asshole Hall of Fame.  They just don't carry it to such an extreme.  They don't try to make hypocrisy a life style, and they don't delight in seeing innocent people getting beaten up by the savages.  No matter how perceptive you are at finding fault with everyone else, you still might be the bigger asshole.  The faults of others don't justify doing harm to others... unless you think it does.  And if you think that, you are the problem.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Baruch on December 05, 2017, 07:17:28 AM
Secular society doesn't exist  The troll you voiced .. that is what real people are like.  Sorry.

Christians are significantly more likely to be assholes, especially in Texas.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on December 05, 2017, 07:47:49 AM
Some people are, but they stand out like a goat's ass, but it's a mistake to include everyone.  Yeah, I know.  To you, everyone is a selfish asshole, even yourself, so everyone should rightfully be Libertarian, I suppose.  But while everyone has biases and self interests, not everyone gets a place in the Asshole Hall of Fame.  They just don't carry it to such an extreme.  They don't try to make hypocrisy a life style, and they don't delight in seeing innocent people getting beaten up by the savages.  No matter how perceptive you are at finding fault with everyone else, you still might be the bigger asshole.  The faults of others don't justify doing harm to others... unless you think it does.  And if you think that, you are the problem.

There are people who are assholes, who know they are, and tell you so.

There are people who are assholes, who know they are, but lie about it.  They virtue signal.

There are people who are assholes, but who are deluded enough to think they aren't, and honestly think that screwing you over is a good thing.

The first extreme are Republicans.  The second extreme are Democrats.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Baruch on December 05, 2017, 12:50:30 PM
There are people who are assholes, who know they are, and tell you so.

There are people who are assholes, who know they are, but lie about it.  They virtue signal.

There are people who are assholes, but who are deluded enough to think they aren't, and honestly think that screwing you over is a good thing.

The first extreme are Republicans.  The second extreme are Democrats.

Honestly, the third extreme sounds more like Republicans to me.
--Fulke Greville--

Draconic Aiur

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on December 05, 2017, 05:57:07 PM
Honestly, the third extreme sounds more like Republicans to me.

That is the goal of the good-cop/bad-cop political system.  You can choose Republicrats or Demopublicans ;-)

There is a 4th choice.  Don't validate a rigged game, by your participation.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Baruch on December 05, 2017, 07:01:33 PM
That is the goal of the good-cop/bad-cop political system.  You can choose Republicrats or Demopublicans ;-)

There is a 4th choice.  Don't validate a rigged game, by your participation.

If there's anything these last few months have proven, it's that the two sides are not equally bad. One side wants to turn the country into a theocracy, where discrimination based on sex, race, sexual orientation, and religion are legal, where people have to work several jobs just to stay afloat, and the rich pay no taxes, and the other side is the Democrats.
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on December 05, 2017, 10:48:14 PM
If there's anything these last few months have proven, it's that the two sides are not equally bad. One side wants to turn the country into a theocracy, where discrimination based on sex, race, sexual orientation, and religion are legal, where people have to work several jobs just to stay afloat, and the rich pay no taxes, and the other side is the Democrats.

I used to think that too.  The Matrix started to malfunction in 1996, and has pretty much gone dead for me now.  Democrats virtue signal, so they must be virtuous ;-)  Wish it were so, but it isn't.  And "the other side" isn't monsters either, that is hysteria.  There is no Justice League ... it is Loki all the way down.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Baruch on December 06, 2017, 07:21:44 AM
I used to think that too.  The Matrix started to malfunction in 1996, and has pretty much gone dead for me now.  Democrats virtue signal, so they must be virtuous ;-)  Wish it were so, but it isn't.  And "the other side" isn't monsters either, that is hysteria.  There is no Justice League ... it is Loki all the way down.

What exactly has the Democratic party done that is compatible to the disaster that is the Trump Presidency?
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on December 06, 2017, 01:12:30 PM
What exactly has the Democratic party done that is compatible to the disaster that is the Trump Presidency?

Wilson, FDR, Truman, Kennedy, LBJ, Carter, Clinton ... need I say more?  And that is just the 20th century.  And don't ask about the scabrous Republicans ;-(

Since ... a party = your President in office ... then the Democrat party must not exist right now?  I don't think the Republicans are all of one mind ... not that I like what any of them are thinking.  Who literally took the Democrat party to broke, before Hillary got her liver spot hands on it?  Obama.  Concentrate on Congress ... or don't bother with politics.  And those Democrats?  Seen plenty of their crappy ideas since 2009 ... and more before that.  See ... the US isn't a monarchy yet ... it is an oligarchy ... not an autocracy yet.  Get there, and make sure the king is a Democrat ... and you can faint from physical pleasure ... your utopia will have arrived.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hakurei Reimu

Baruch, that doesn't answer the question. What did those Democratic presidents do that parallels the Trump Shit Machine?
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu