Author Topic: Supreme Court Upholds Muslim (Er, "Travel") Ban  (Read 80 times)

Online Shiranu (OP)

Supreme Court Upholds Muslim (Er, "Travel") Ban
« on: December 04, 2017, 06:37:45 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/04/politics/supreme-court-travel-ban/index.html

The US Supreme Court on Monday allowed the newest version of President Donald Trump's travel ban to take effect pending appeal.
This is the first time justices have allowed any edition of the ban to go forward in its entirety. It signals that some of the justices might be distinguishing the latest version from previous iterations and could be more likely, in the future, to rule in favor of the ban.
Issued in September, the third edition of the travel ban placed varying levels of restrictions on foreign nationals from eight countries: Chad, Iran, Libya, North Korea, Syria, Venezuela, Somalia and Yemen.
Yes, several of those countries are not Muslim; I recommend watching the video embedded in the link that explains there is almost zero immigration from Chad & Venezuela, and only diplomats really travel from North Korea to the U.S. anyways, making it a way to undercut the idea of it being a "Muslim" ban.
In reality, 99.99% of the people it effects are Muslim, but this is a way to undercut that narrative and make it seem more benign and, well, less bigoted, then it actually is.
Om Mani Padme Hum

Offline Baruch

Re: Supreme Court Upholds Muslim (Er, "Travel") Ban
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 10:21:48 PM »
Would be easy to be fair.  Ban all travel to the US by non-US citizens, particularly UN and embassy personnel ;-)  When the EMP goes off, there will be no way to process the visas anyway ;-(
שלום

Online Cavebear

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 04:17:47 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/04/politics/supreme-court-travel-ban/index.html

Yes, several of those countries are not Muslim; I recommend watching the video embedded in the link that explains there is almost zero immigration from Chad & Venezuela, and only diplomats really travel from North Korea to the U.S. anyways, making it a way to undercut the idea of it being a "Muslim" ban.
In reality, 99.99% of the people it effects are Muslim, but this is a way to undercut that narrative and make it seem more benign and, well, less bigoted, then it actually is.

Banning all Moslems in order to prevent terrorists is too blunt a tool.  And Moslem terrorists are not our biggest problem.  South and Central American gangs are.  Shall we (can we) ban all of them too.  As Christians?  That would be the same as banning all Moslems.

There are Asian gangs in the US and members joining them.  Shall we ban all Asians?

We have to selectively identify bad individuals, not whole groups.  Or we become an isolated country that also loses the benefits of good people who come here.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!  b 1950

Offline Baruch

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 05:24:18 AM »
Banning all Moslems in order to prevent terrorists is too blunt a tool.  And Moslem terrorists are not our biggest problem.  South and Central American gangs are.  Shall we (can we) ban all of them too.  As Christians?  That would be the same as banning all Moslems.

There are Asian gangs in the US and members joining them.  Shall we ban all Asians?

We have to selectively identify bad individuals, not whole groups.  Or we become an isolated country that also loses the benefits of good people who come here.

I happen to agree, if that was what the government is trying to do.  They are banning travelers from countries that don't adhere to good enough vetting of passengers.  So all passengers, regardless of religion, are banned from those countries.
שלום

Online Cavebear

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 05:57:15 AM »
I happen to agree, if that was what the government is trying to do.  They are banning travelers from countries that don't adhere to good enough vetting of passengers.  So all passengers, regardless of religion, are banned from those countries.

Nice try, but there are many counties with equally poor vetting that aren't banned.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!  b 1950

Offline Baruch

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 09:50:19 AM »
Nice try, but there are many counties with equally poor vetting that aren't banned.

So propose more countries to ban.  You are making a conspiracy theory about Islamophobia.
שלום