My father freaking out over N Korea

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, November 28, 2017, 08:12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

At first it didn't make much sense, but he's 89, has dementia going on and came of age and served in the USMC during the Korean War.. While he didn't go to Korea because of a real bad jeep wreck right before his company shipped out to Korea. The entire company was killed their first day there, something that has hung over him all these years. He's had a tremendous amount of guilt to deal with.
When N Korea fires off a missile, long range, short range it doesn't matter he begins to freak out over it with predictions of WWIII with N Korea, China, etc.
The current regime in Washington isn't helping matters one tiny bit. It's tempting to break his TV so he won't sit there all day in a panic, but he'd just buy another..
While N Korea is a concern I don't freak out over their saber rattling. My dad does..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Baruch

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on November 28, 2017, 08:12:24 PM
At first it didn't make much sense, but he's 89, has dementia going on and came of age and served in the USMC during the Korean War.. While he didn't go to Korea because of a real bad jeep wreck right before his company shipped out to Korea. The entire company was killed their first day there, something that has hung over him all these years. He's had a tremendous amount of guilt to deal with.
When N Korea fires off a missile, long range, short range it doesn't matter he begins to freak out over it with predictions of WWIII with N Korea, China, etc.
The current regime in Washington isn't helping matters one tiny bit. It's tempting to break his TV so he won't sit there all day in a panic, but he'd just buy another..
While N Korea is a concern I don't freak out over their saber rattling. My dad does..

The sooner the US is destroyed the better.  If foreigners don't do it, then we have to have a civil war to end all civil wars.  I have learned to Love The Bomb ... we were told to by Dr Strangelove.

Fortunately my mother who is about the same age, passed away this year.  She never worried about foreign affairs.  Maybe get your dad more interested in sports?

My younger mother's cousin served in Korea.  His best friend got killed right beside him.  But he is gone now too, so no worries for him.  See ... the problem is ... living to very old age, your odds of getting involved in history go up.

Yeah, and I know a another guy, who is a little older.  He was in an infantry platoon in Nam.  He said "screw this" and transferred to a transportation company (which incidentally is the kind of outfit my older brother served for a year in, in Nam).  About a month later, all they guys in his platoon were killed.  Don't know if he feels survivor guilt .. but I know I wouldn't.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

PopeyesPappy

Dad is a few years younger than your dad, APA. He enlisted in the Marines a couple of months after his 17th birthday in 52, received a temporary commission as a 2nd lieutenant in the regular marine corps at some point in the mid 60's and retired as a captain in 72. He was in Korea but didn't get there until after the Armistice. He did 2 tours in Viet Nam.

Here is a picture of young corporal dad in Korea probably taken sometime in 54. Could have been 53 though.

His basic take on North Korea these days is we should just go ahead and nuke the fuckers before they can do the same to us.

Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Baruch

See, that is the conflict for Americans, then and now.  Virtue signaling.  We want to be the good guys.  Except we never have been, we just meme that way ... same as every other tribe.  So we have this disconnect between Machiavellian violence, and saving our own souls.  And I have no answer to that.  But I don't worry.  If G-d wants me dead, or humanity dead, G-d can do that at any time.  Life is unfair like that.  Divine virtue signaling?  Screw that.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

sdelsolray

Quote from: Baruch on November 28, 2017, 08:25:14 PM
The sooner the US is destroyed the better. 

Reported to Homeland Security and the FBI.

Baruch

Quote from: sdelsolray on November 29, 2017, 09:41:51 PM
Reported to Homeland Security and the FBI.

Good ... did you report all the idiots who voted for Hillary or Donald?  Deep State are doing the best they can to destroy the US too.  While I support the US government, I don't support the American people (peasants) ... because they are doofuses.  Self destructiveness means ... don't have to do a thing myself ... just not intervene ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

A small part of me is afraid that Trump wants his own 'war' and that Korea will be it.  He can very easily fuck up the rest of the world, not just the US. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on November 30, 2017, 07:16:02 PM
A small part of me is afraid that Trump wants his own 'war' and that Korea will be it.  He can very easily fuck up the rest of the world, not just the US.

If every President wants to be a "war" President, the world is better off without the US.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

I am concerned about the DPRK's ability to launch a nuclear warhead at the states, but ultimately there isn't much I can do about it but hope we have level headed politicians in charge... and baring that, military generals that value their own survival over following commands. It worked for us in the Cuban Missile Crisis, when we believed that the Russians were completely and utterly brainwashed into hating the "Capitalist West" and had leaders who would genuinely consider nuclear war... so here's to hoping there are a few Korean generals who have gotten comfortable and don't want to die for the Supreme Leader.

But again, cant do much about it anyways, so I just hope I get laid a few more times before then, and they can hold off until I get to go see Europe.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Feral Atheist

Two lunatics with bad hair and nukes gives a lot of people angst.
In dog beers I've only had one.

Baruch

Quote from: Feral Atheist on December 05, 2017, 01:11:57 AM
Two lunatics with bad hair and nukes gives a lot of people angst.

I have lived with nukes, for over 60 years.  So can others.  Get over yourself.  Get over civilization.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on November 30, 2017, 07:44:50 PM
I am concerned about the DPRK's ability to launch a nuclear warhead at the states, but ultimately there isn't much I can do about it but hope we have level headed politicians in charge... and baring that, military generals that value their own survival over following commands. It worked for us in the Cuban Missile Crisis, when we believed that the Russians were completely and utterly brainwashed into hating the "Capitalist West" and had leaders who would genuinely consider nuclear war... so here's to hoping there are a few Korean generals who have gotten comfortable and don't want to die for the Supreme Leader.

But again, cant do much about it anyways, so I just hope I get laid a few more times before then, and they can hold off until I get to go see Europe.

Yes, what America needs is General Pinochet ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on November 28, 2017, 08:12:24 PM

Your father's guilt is understandable, but misplaced.  If he had been with his company, he would have also died.  But then all the good he did the rest of his life would not have happened.  His lifetime is a lucky gift to all around him.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!