News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

A Night at the Opera

Started by SGOS, November 28, 2017, 09:19:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Actually, it was an afternoon.  Don't blame me for being a pretentious twit.  I had no say in this.  And it was 5 hours long with two intermissions.  I was deceived into going.  Actually, it was crafted as a surprise.  I didn't know where they were taking me until I was actually seated in the hall and was handed a program.

Die Walküre (The Valkyrie) by Wagner.  Yeah my ass got tired and I had to get up and run around the lobby during the last intermission.  My sister smuggled me a can of diet coke for the last act.  This was contraband and not allowed, but I saw a well dressed lady sipping on a bottle of Evian behind me, so we smiled and waved at each other like kids being naughty.

Actually, I have to admit, it wasn't that bad, although I won't do it again.  I kind of enjoyed the singers belting out the dialog with enormous pomp to the story line that is basically a cheesy plot that probably would have more credibility as a romantic comedy of the 90s.  The words were written in English on a reader board while they were being sung.  The orchestra was first rate and flawless.  That was the best part.

On the plus side, I enjoyed it more than most plays, where I usually strain, sometimes to no available, to hear the dialog.  In an opera, you don't need to hear the dialog, and you can just read along, so at least I could understand what was going on, which I didn't think was possible to anyone but an elite few in the audience.  But the reader board is the latest technology that gives the long needed and missing meaning to the opera.

Well, at least there's something to check off on my bucket list, although it was never actually on my bucket list, but now I can say, "Yes, I attended the opera.  It was quite lovely, and I enjoyed being surrounded by people of fine breeding and good taste.  It's so good to be among my own kind without all the pesky riff raff." :bigyawn:

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on November 28, 2017, 09:19:16 AM
Actually, it was an afternoon.  Don't blame me for being a pretentious twit.  I had no say in this.  And it was 5 hours long with two intermissions.  I was deceived into going.  Actually, it was crafted as a surprise.  I didn't know where they were taking me until I was actually seated in the hall and was handed a program.

Die Walküre (The Valkyrie) by Wagner.  Yeah my ass got tired and I had to get up and run around the lobby during the last intermission.  My sister smuggled me a can of diet coke for the last act.  This was contraband and not allowed, but I saw a well dressed lady sipping on a bottle of Evian behind me, so we smiled and waved at each other like kids being naughty.

Actually, I have to admit, it wasn't that bad, although I won't do it again.  I kind of enjoyed the singers belting out the dialog with enormous pomp to the story line that is basically a cheesy plot that probably would have more credibility as a romantic comedy of the 90s.  The words were written in English on a reader board while they were being sung.  The orchestra was first rate and flawless.  That was the best part.

On the plus side, I enjoyed it more than most plays, where I usually strain, sometimes to no available, to hear the dialog.  In an opera, you don't need to hear the dialog, and you can just read along, so at least I could understand what was going on, which I didn't think was possible to anyone but an elite few in the audience.  But the reader board is the latest technology that gives the long needed and missing meaning to the opera.

Well, at least there's something to check off on my bucket list, although it was never actually on my bucket list, but now I can say, "Yes, I attended the opera.  It was quite lovely, and I enjoyed being surrounded by people of fine breeding and good taste.  It's so good to be among my own kind without all the pesky riff raff." :bigyawn:
Nice.  Now how are you going to get back at them????? :agreenod:
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on November 28, 2017, 09:23:13 AM
Nice.  Now how are you going to get back at them????? :agreenod:
I'm going to take them to a tractor pull and we will all wear billboard style caps that say "John Deere" or "Caterpillar."

Baruch

I am going to local amateur theater.  Not so big, not so loud.  Only $!5 for a ticket.  I think off-Broadway ... was much much higher, and that was in the 90s.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on November 28, 2017, 09:19:16 AM

/quote]

If the words aren't in my language, I don't pay attention.  Sorry...

I saw  cartoon once where a character walking out of an opera said "Wait, you mean those were real words"?

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!