"Values Voters" Don't Actually Care About Values. Color Me Unsurprised.

Started by trdsf, November 27, 2017, 10:36:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

Quoteevangelicals’ first priority is to elect politicians who will fight for them and advance their agenda on the issues they care about.
I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

Telesio

They are voting for someone aligned with their values.  Evangelical Christians are immoral to the core. 

Baruch

Quote from: Telesio on November 27, 2017, 01:30:24 PM
They are voting for someone aligned with their values.  Evangelical Christians are immoral to the core.

Specifically ... Israel.  Support Israel (no matter what) then you get the Evangelical vote.  Trump's son-in-law is Jewish, and is best buds with Bibi.  Has nothing to do with morality or candidate Moore.  Meanwhile the US continues to support atrocities in Yemen, though they are winding down in Syria.  Politics has nothing to do with morality, never has.

For me, immorality is off-putting.  But virtue signaling doesn't sufficiently attract.

BTW - while I am Jewish, I don't support Israel.  I support the US.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Telesio on November 27, 2017, 01:30:24 PM
I think it rather points up their tendency to believe things not only without evidence, but also despite evidence.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on November 27, 2017, 01:43:35 PM
I think it rather points up their tendency to believe things not only without evidence, but also despite evidence.

Wouldn't that define most voters?  It failed in ancient Athens ... ouzo, gay sex, Spartans etc.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

This.  For example, abortion.  Let's say that one believes it's the same thing as infanticide.  Naturally, they'd want to reduce abortion rates.  The gameplan?  Ban abortion.  No sex ed.  No condoms.  In fact, let's make sex ed abstinence only.  Shockingly, this gameplan has not been very successful.  Do they change their strategy?  No.

It's almost as if they're not actually interested in minimizing abortions, but rather to use the issue to energize the ingroup and bash outgroups.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 27, 2017, 06:45:22 PM
This.  For example, abortion.  Let's say that one believe it's the same thing as infanticide.  Naturally, they'd want to reduce abortion rates.  The gameplan?  Ban abortion.  Not sex ed.  Not condoms.  In fact, let's make sex ed abstinence only.  Shockingly, this gameplan has not been very successful.  Do they change their strategy?  No.

It's almost as if they're not actually interested in minimizing abortions, but rather to use the issue to evangelize and condemn.

Law & Order goons, do like to condemn.  They hate everyone.  This is why there are over 200 million different laws in the US.  Because clearly the law is working, so more of the same is reasonable ;-)  As a father of a daughter, I can always control her pregnancies the traditional way ... by killing her boyfriends first ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

They hated Bill Clinton and loved the scandal.  Roy Moore?  No problemo.  It's a SNL skit by itself.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on November 28, 2017, 02:23:25 PM
They hated Bill Clinton and loved the scandal.  Roy Moore?  No problemo.  It's a SNL skit by itself.

Only actual celibate monks and nuns are electable in the US now ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

More evidence that so-called 'values' voters don't actually have any values?  Alleged serial molester Moore is back in the lead in Alabama.

I've said it before, and I'll say it here, too: Dear South, please secede again.  We won't stop you this time.  Signed, Rational People.

Mike Cl

I have noticed that those who preach 'family values' or 'christian morality' don't have any values or morality.  Or none they can or want to stick to.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on November 30, 2017, 07:13:41 PM
I have noticed that those who preach 'family values' or 'christian morality' don't have any values or morality.  Or none they can or want to stick to.

But morality, legality, ethics etc are all the natural products of natural law.  It is unavoidable, manifest teleology.  Early in the so called Enlightenment, we even had "natural theology" as a meme, for a short while.  French Revolution kind of spoiled that.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Their morals are fine.  It's the devil that seduces them into doing bad things, and you can't resist when Satan takes over your body.

Hydra009

When you're seriously screwed up, the best camouflage is this family/christian stuff.  A lot of people lower their guard when they should raise it.