Universities - theatres of the absurd

Started by pr126, November 25, 2017, 08:48:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Shiranu

QuoteIt proved more useful.

If you grew up to be a bigot, then it really didn't.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

pr126

Yeah.
Bigot. Racist. Islamophobe. Nazi. Literally Hitler.
This is wearing thin by now. It has no meaning at all anymore.
The idea is to demean, ridicule, shame anyone who does not think like you. Shut them down.

The contempt is mutual.

Shiranu

Yes. Possibly. Yes. Never said that. Literally never said that.

QuoteThe idea is to demean, ridicule, shame anyone who does not think like you. Shut them down.

No, the idea is to demean, ridicule, shame anyone who thinks bigotry is acceptable behaviour in a civilized society. Shut them down.

Is it the best strategy? No. You are far more likely to win people over with honey than with vinegar, hence the reason the stanch, dyed-in-the-wool Republicans and conservatives I know at my university I generally happen to be friends with and engage in friendly debate with rather than mock like yourself.

But trying to change someone of your age and convictions mind is an effort in futility, so the best I can do is poke at you and let you defeat your own argument when you retaliate... which coincidentally, has apparently been working well. I doubt very many (if any) people have been convinced to think like me, but I have noticed a shift away from thinking like you... that people don't just accept the radical shit you say at face value like they did a year, two, three years ago. And I am fine with that; I think you make a lot of very good points, you just take the solution twenty steps too far, or are blinded by your bigotry into seeing boogiemen who don't exist.

So thank you for continuing this dance, even if it does get incredibly obnoxious and trite and at times I have to say I fear on the borderline of doing more harm than good. The strength of you defeating yourself more often than not has done far more for my cause than I could ever do myself.

And by the way, I don't have contempt for you. I can count the people I know by name (I'll stretch the idea of name to include aliases) whom I have contempt for on one hand and maybe a finger or two on the other. I only have contempt for your position and your ideology, which is toxic and destructive to the fundamental Western ideals of Equality, Fraternity, Liberty. But I do not know you as an individual enough to dislike you, and I don't share your narrow mindedness that I should dislike you because you are different than me, like you do towards me and my generation.

And with that, cue short quip where you harm your integrity and position even more and me continuing to poke at it until you do so again, ad naseum as usual, with an occasional way-to-long post on my part to spice things up a bit.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Cavebear

I remember when there were liberal Republicans, conservative Democrats, and you had some choices.  And before routine gerrymandering...

Everyone misses the days of their youth, but I have that reason.

pr126

Shiranu, you are stalking my posts. Naughty boy. Get a life.

If your goal is to change my mind, then you are wasting your time.

But it does give you a good opportunity to virtue signal, and to claim the moral high ground on every occasion. Feels good, doesn't it?

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on November 26, 2017, 05:36:16 AM
Shiranu, you are stalking my posts. Naughty boy. Get a life.

If your goal is to change my mind, then you are wasting your time.

But it does give you a good opportunity to virtue signal, and to claim the moral high ground on every occasion. Feels good, doesn't it?

Well *I* for one would never try to change your mind.  That would be a massive assumption it IS changeable.

pr126

Cavebear wrote:
QuoteWell *I* for one would never try to change your mind.  That would be a massive assumption it IS changeable.
Not at my age. Besides, I hate Marxism.
It is destroying western civilization and culture since 1920.
Nearly achieved its goal.

For the left, it is the quest for power. The destruction of the civilization is a just collateral damage.

Have you noticed that the Dems are throwing the Clintons under the bus? They became a liability for the party.

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on November 26, 2017, 05:56:19 AM
Cavebear wrote:Not at my age. Besides, I hate Marxism.
It is destroying western civilization and culture since 1920.
Nearly achieved its goal.

For the left, it is the quest for power. The destruction of the civilization is a just collateral damage.

Have you noticed that the Dems are throwing the Clintons under the bus? They became a liability for the party.

I do wish you would reconsider your view that everyone Left-Of-Center is a Communist.  I am sure no Communist, but I do think that social cooperation yields benefits. 

pr126

No. I am watching Europe flushed down the toilet by the left.
Americans don’t know that because it is not reported in the media, and they don’t care anyway.

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on November 26, 2017, 06:33:23 AM
No. I am watching Europe flushed down the toilet by the left.
Americans don’t know that because it is not reported in the media, and they don’t care anyway.

A question then...  How do you rate the US Right and Left vs the European Right and Left on a 10 scale with Nazis 1 and Soviet Leninists 10?

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

Left and right are just as bad as each other now, because these days both the most extreme form of those sides have the biggest mouths, and it gets tiring watching them become irrational and senseless. Its even more profound when those who aren't quite that insane but float near the surface agree with their insanity because 'they're on their side of the argument', meaning they value their political stature more then common sense.

Marxism and Fascism exist, and often the side who champions one will deny they do or claim it isn't a bad thing when both are equally awful.

This is why its better to try and figure out a middle ground between liberal and conservative, otherwise fall into the pit on either end.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Gawdzilla Sama

I've studied history since 1965, and today isn't that different from the antebellum Congress or the supposed isolationism of 1941. The internet makes them louder, but no more relevant.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mermaid

There is an alarming trend where people are speaking out about something they don't know anything about with a confident authority. I can't tell if this is a new thing, or just something that's bubbled up from under the surface with recent events.

It scares the shit out of me. Just cooperate with the police and you won't get shot! Universities are liberal hotbeds! Women get as much respect as men in the workplace! I see all of that with my own two eyes!

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR