Universities - theatres of the absurd

Started by pr126, November 25, 2017, 08:48:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pr126

Our campuses show we're practicing cultural genocide on ourselves
QuoteFiascoes like this raise the question of how this society allowed its education system to become steadily poorer the more money it stuffed into it. And how did we allow our centres of higher learning to degenerate into these theatres of the absurd where stupefying sums are squandered to enable questionably qualified people to teach largely irrelevant material in life-assured sinecures of six-hour work weeks with three months annual holidays, while thoughtful discussion is suppressed, all to produce masses of under-educated people largely unqualified to get or hold a serious job? Obviously, the answer is complicated, and some of it was touched upon a few weeks ago when I excerpted from the Ontario Secondary School Teachers’ Federation publication that the solution to deteriorating school testing results was to eliminate the tests.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

AllPurposeAtheist

Let me guess. You're in favor of the discontinuance of education that promotes anything you don't like.
Damned I'm good! 
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Baruch

As long as X, is politicized, it will turn to shit.  So since education has long been politicized ... it turned to shit.

Of course maybe Left shit smells worse to you than Right shit, but that is just prejudice.  All shit smells the same to me.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

fencerider

Quote from: Baruch on November 25, 2017, 10:28:35 AM
All shit smells the same to me.
maybe you need to get out of your neihborhood more often. Cause the bathroom in a predominantly black neighborhood definitely smells different than the bathroom in a white boy or chinese neighborhood. Spices in => spices out  ;-)

as far as D and R go: Its same product different brand

Universities are not the only thing that is absurd. Have you watched any TV made for 3 year olds lately? Its seems like since around 2000 the programming for kids less than 5 yrs old has been made  by successive generations of mentally unstable or brain-dead people. You want to know why young people less than 20 are so messed up. Just review the TV that they grew up with
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Baruch

Quote from: fencerider on November 25, 2017, 12:49:29 PM
maybe you need to get out of your neihborhood more often. Cause the bathroom in a predominantly black neighborhood definitely smells different than the bathroom in a white boy or chinese neighborhood. Spices in => spices out  ;-)

as far as D and R go: Its same product different brand

Universities are not the only thing that is absurd. Have you watched any TV made for 3 year olds lately? Its seems like since around 2000 the programming for kids less than 5 yrs old has been made  by successive generations of mentally unstable or brain-dead people. You want to know why young people less than 20 are so messed up. Just review the TV that they grew up with

I blame Two Stupid Dogs and CatDog.  I kind of liked CatDog.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Blackleaf

"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

pr126

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on November 25, 2017, 09:48:11 AM
Let me guess. You're in favor of the discontinuance of education that promotes anything you don't like.
Damned I'm good! 
This is not education. It is propaganda and indoctrination. Dumbing down.
Not learning how to think but what to think.
Worse still, it is very expensive to become a dumb democrat voter.

Shiranu

"Not learning how to think but what to think. "

What's your excuse, then...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

pr126

Quote from: Shiranu on November 26, 2017, 01:41:32 AM
"Not learning how to think but what to think. "

What's your excuse, then...
My excuse is that I missed out on the Marxist indoctrination. No big loss.
And I didn't have to pay tens of thousands of dollars for the privilege like you did.

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on November 26, 2017, 02:05:21 AM
My excuse is that I missed the Marxist indoctrination. No big loss.

I think I missed that class too.  And I was pretty radical in college.  Whatever thoughts I have, they are surely not Marxist.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

pr126

Quote from: Cavebear on November 26, 2017, 02:16:48 AM
I think I missed that class too.  And I was pretty radical in college.  Whatever thoughts I have, they are surely not Marxist.
I did not go to college at all. Left school education (communist) at the age of 12.
Attended the university of life. It proved more useful.
Had a good job (Computer technician) and a decent pension to follow.

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on November 26, 2017, 02:20:43 AM
I did not go to college at all. Left school education (communist) at the age of 12.
Attended the university of life. It proved more useful.
Had a good job (Computer technician) and a decent pension to follow.

Well, you probably missed learning about a wide and varied number of subjects.  I learned "something" about A-Z (archeology to zoology) and a bit of everything in between. 

And it isn't that it mattered to me in my career (though geometry helped and knowing how to analyze data advanced me).  But it mattered to me as an individual mostly. 

There is almost no subject I don't know enough about to discuss it with someone who knows more, and I learn from THAT too.  I can give examples if you are interested.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Blackleaf

"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--