What trait do you think you most inherited from one of your ancestors and why?

Started by GBaxter, November 24, 2017, 02:37:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GBaxter

What serious or humorous skill and/or trait do you think you most inherited from one of your ancestors and why?

Baruch

Quote from: GBaxter on November 24, 2017, 02:37:24 AM
What serious or humorous skill and/or trait do you think you most inherited from one of your ancestors and why?

Inheritance isn't always biological, it can be cultural.  My father's father was interested in technology.  He was one of the radio broadcast pioneers of Texas.  Stories about him, got me interested in technology.  Another grandfather was in WW II ... so that made me interested in history.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Painting and drawing runs in my family.
I wish i had that talent. I often imagine thing i would love to sketch, and perhaps i could if i took The trouble in learning how. But i have rather cramped handmovements to begin with. My fingers are too flexibel and not strong enough making that i hold pens and such incorrectly, to compensate The pressure. I think iTS because i was Born a good 5 weeks early, but maybe not.

I think apart from appearance all i took from my father is his sense of humor. And from my mother, her empathy. My sister is exactly like my father, characterwise, and my brother like my mother. But all four agree i don't paricularly take after them.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on November 24, 2017, 06:56:58 AM
Painting and drawing runs in my family.
I wish i had that talent. I often imagine thing i would love to sketch, and perhaps i could if i took The trouble in learning how. But i have rather cramped handmovements to begin with. My fingers are too flexibel and not strong enough making that i hold pens and such incorrectly, to compensate The pressure. I think iTS because i was Born a good 5 weeks early, but maybe not.

I think apart from appearance all i took from my father is his sense of humor. And from my mother, her empathy. My sister is exactly like my father, characterwise, and my brother like my mother. But all four agree i don't paricularly take after them.

1. Maybe learn to fingerprint?  Will be as good as Jackson Pollock ;-)

2. Maybe a Gypsy doppleganger.  Do you feel alienated? ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

I will claim an apparent immunity to "the common cold" and "the flu".  I haven't had "a cold" ever, and the only time I caught "the flu", I was 12.  My brother and I both caught it and he was sick for a week while I was up and about in 2 days. 

And I don't say this lightly.  I spent 30 years in carpools with people who insisted on going to work coughing and sneezing all over the place in the confines of the car for almost an hour each way.  They infected each other mercilessly and I never had the least bad day...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Shiranu

My height. Most of my family is about 6' 0''.... I'm about 5' 5 1/2".

My mother was about 4'11", but other than her almost everyone was tall, even on the Italian side.

Other than that... crippling alcoholism?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

trdsf

We age slowly and we live forever.  I had all four grandparents until I was nearly 40, and they died at the ages of 88, 89, 93 ad 95; I still had five great-grandparents alive when I was born and one of them lived until I was 19 (great-grandma was 95 when she died; she's the one who taught me how to play poker).  The calendar says I'm 54, but outside of my knee and lower back I still feel twentysomething, thirtysomething at the worst.  I expect to be a centenarian, and I'm kind of looking forward to it.  I think the world of 2063 will be a fascinating place.

Obviously, I also inherit a certain amount of unwarranted optimism from some ancestor or another...
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on November 26, 2017, 04:05:59 AM
We age slowly and we live forever.  I had all four grandparents until I was nearly 40, and they died at the ages of 88, 89, 93 ad 95; I still had five great-grandparents alive when I was born and one of them lived until I was 19 (great-grandma was 95 when she died; she's the one who taught me how to play poker).  The calendar says I'm 54, but outside of my knee and lower back I still feel twentysomething, thirtysomething at the worst.  I expect to be a centenarian, and I'm kind of looking forward to it.  I think the world of 2063 will be a fascinating place.

Obviously, I also inherit a certain amount of unwarranted optimism from some ancestor or another...

I'll be a centenarian before you.  2050.  LOL!

Munch

That I'd look awesome riding on a snowy white pony and all the animals would follow my command.

you go gurl, or should I say great great great great great great great great great great great great (x's how many more greats needed) Grandma.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on November 26, 2017, 05:30:08 AM
That I'd look awesome riding on a snowy white pony and all the animals would follow my command.

you go gurl, or should I say great great great great great great great great great great great great (x's how many more greats needed) Grandma.

The "you" on the white pony and your avatar tend to be is some slight disagreement.  Having some internal arguments?  LOL!

Munch

Quote from: Cavebear on November 26, 2017, 05:43:10 AM
The "you" on the white pony and your avatar tend to be is some slight disagreement.  Having some internal arguments?  LOL!

its just an avatar dude, of a video game character.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on November 26, 2017, 06:47:08 AM
its just an avatar dude, of a video game character.

Oh?  I thought we could have tea and crumpets at 4pm ... I am a fairy princess myself ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on November 26, 2017, 12:00:33 PM
Oh?  I thought we could have tea and crumpets at 4pm ... I am a fairy princess myself ;-))

That IS a possibility...  Are you winged or are you crowned?  Are there ponies involved?

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 09, 2017, 05:21:50 AM
That IS a possibility...  Are you winged or are you crowned?  Are there ponies involved?

You missed out.  Two years ago, there was a whole Bronies section (Pony cartoon fans).  Munch was one of the biggest fans ... what a twink he is ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 09, 2017, 05:35:18 AM
You missed out.  Two years ago, there was a whole Bronies section (Pony cartoon fans).  Munch was one of the biggest fans ... what a twink he is ;-))

My knowledge of Munchian terms is rather lacking.  "Twink"?