Flat Earther does rocket science

Started by Hydra009, November 21, 2017, 12:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: fencerider on November 23, 2017, 12:50:33 AM
1800 ft it not high enough to hit the glass ceiling, but its impressive for steam... unless you’re a shooter on an aircraft carrier.
"Sir, when you push that button the aircraft is going somewhere. I don't care where, my job is to make it go ... somewhere."

We need to find out where the flat earthers get their stache, cause its good stuff.
Maui.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Question: Which is the "official" flatter world map, the Mercator projection or the polar projection? If it's the Mercator Sarah Falin would never be able to see Russia from her back porch.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

fencerider

I think its polar. Antarctica is supposed to be 24,000 mile ring of ice that surrounds the earth. And supposedly all the recent presidents have been there so that they can see the glass dome contacting the earth with their own eyes.

"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

fencerider

I wonder how far we could get his little red and yellow rocket to go if we put it on the sled... maybe it would start cartwheeling down the runway
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: fencerider on November 24, 2017, 02:37:48 AM
I wonder how far we could get his little red and yellow rocket to go if we put it on the sled... maybe it would start cartwheeling down the runway
The Nazi V-1 (Buzz Bomb) used a launch railing that was about ten times the length of the vehicle. His is about the same length as his kamikaze machine.
PZ Myers

Johan

This is why I think most of these jackoffs are just pulling our chain. Here's a guy building a rocket in his backyard to prove the earth is flat. If he's got the aptitude to build such a thing, then he'd surely have to understand that there are places he could just get in his car and drive to that would give him a view of the horizon from much higher than 1800ft. 

He'd also have to understand that for a couple hundred dollars, he could go to almost any local airport, take a flying lesson and get to at least double that altitude.

And finally he'd have to understand that if he honestly wanted to see with his own eyes once and for all whether or not the earth was curved, he can easily do ti with right amount of money. http://www.migflug.com/en/jet-fighter-flights/flying-with-a-jet/mig-29-edge-of-space.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAo9_QBRACEiwASknDwZl-nmlEu-NaJCO75PDgShpDI7b616_SMRccOk8ls6UIe2UqEAMlcRoCXpUQAvD_BwE

Pay your fee, strap in and you can ride a Mig29 to the edge of space and see with your own eyes if the earth curves or if its flat. No having to wonder about weird camera lens effects or anything like that, just your own two eyes. It'd be here we are in level flight at 1800ft and the horizon doesn't appear to have much curve to it. Just a little, but not very much at all. Then here we are at 18,000ft and there's slightly more curve visible, but still not all that much, could just be a big hill for all I know. Then here we are 49,000ft and yep, its definitely curved well that settles that I guess.

And that's the thing. For a price, a fairly large price but a price non the less, anyone can strap into the back seat of a Mig29 and go to the edge of space. So if these jack wagons really wanted to see for themselves that the planet is not flat, they could. But they don't do that because they know it would prevent them from being able to continue believing what they believe.

Which leads me to believe that most in the flat earth crowd actually have some sort of psychosis going on. Its not just stupidity, they've got some kind of diagnosable pathology happening in their heads. Which is a very polite way of saying they're crazy as a coconut.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Baruch

It is easy to pull someone's chain.  You just have to know what button to push.  And mental health simply isn't the norm ... mere conformance to majority opinion, isn't conformance to truth.  To paraphrase Einstein ... common sense is the sum of all prejudice you accumulate before you are 20.  Some of us, live in a more enlightened age.  But what good does it do you?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Johan on November 24, 2017, 01:20:55 PMAnd that's the thing. For a price, a fairly large price but a price non the less, anyone can strap into the back seat of a Mig29 and go to the edge of space. So if these jack wagons really wanted to see for themselves that the planet is not flat, they could. But they don't do that because they know it would prevent them from being able to continue believing what they believe.

Which leads me to believe that most in the flat earth crowd actually have some sort of psychosis going on. Its not just stupidity, they've got some kind of diagnosable pathology happening in their heads. Which is a very polite way of saying they're crazy as a coconut.
I dunno about it being mental illness, but there's definitely a lack of genuine scientific curiosity.  This stuff is easy as hell to figure out.  FFS, the Greeks figured it out in an age when the common people believed in witchcraft.  As you say, there's a bunch of easy, inexpensive ways to find out for yourself.  I've suggested a few, too.

Hell, you could piece it together with photos of Earth alone.  *holds photo of the Americas and Europe* *holds photo of Europe, Africa, and Asia*  *holds photo of Asia and the Americas*  Hmm...I wonder how this is possible...

Suffice it to say that these people are not particularly interested in science, even on a layman's level like me.  Rather, it appears like a few cranks got together through the power of the internet, formed a community, reinforced each other's pseudoscientific beliefs, and took to the internet to spread their ideas across the globe.

Their ideas aren't spreading because they're good, far from it.  They spread because their ideas attract a ton of attention (and here I am, giving their craved attention) and because this stuff serves to make stupid people feel like they've figured out some great truth about the universe hidden to everyone else - pseudoscience makes dumb people feel good.  Add in the public distrust of actual experts and a postmodern approach to truth (facts are opinions and reality is subjective), and you have the toxic brew that a bunch of pseudoscience springs from.

TL;DR: Not necessarily pathological, just an ideology a hundred cognitive missteps in the making.

fencerider

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 24, 2017, 08:32:10 PM
you could piece it together with photos of Earth alone.  *holds photo of the Americas and Europe* *holds photo of Europe, Africa, and Asia*  *holds photo of Asia and the Americas*  Hmm...I wonder how this is possible....
NOAA weather satelites make a continuous scan line a couple miles tall and 200-300 miles wide. They balanced the rotation of the satelite with its orbital speed so that it makes a continous pic. If there was a way to capture the signal 24hrs/day you could make your pics

Their ideas aren't spreading because they're good, far from it.  They spread because their ideas attract a ton of attention (and here I am, giving their craved attention) and because this stuff serves to make stupid people feel like they've figured out some great truth about the universe hidden to everyone else - pseudoscience makes dumb people feel good.  Add in the public distrust of actual experts and a postmodern approach to truth (facts are opinions and reality is subjective), and you have the toxic brew that a bunch of pseudoscience springs from.
You are really the great grand son of the lost prince of Morroco ;-)

TL;DR: Not necessarily pathological, just an ideology a hundred cognitive missteps in the making.
Presuppose that religion is right and science is wrong and then try to prove it

Hydra009

Quote from: fencerider on November 25, 2017, 01:30:18 PMNOAA weather satelites make a continuous scan line a couple miles tall and 200-300 miles wide. They balanced the rotation of the satelite with its orbital speed so that it makes a continous pic. If there was a way to capture the signal 24hrs/day you could make your pics
I never mentioned the NOAA weather satellites.  In fact, I had another vantage point in mind.

But regardless, all photos capture only a portion of the Earth's surface and none capture an edge.  It doesn't take a genius to figure out what shape is most consistent with the data.

QuoteYou are really the great grand son of the lost prince of Morroco ;-)
Merchant of Venice reference?  Or some obscure reference that I'm supposed to get?

QuotePresuppose that religion is right and science is wrong and then try to prove it
Some are that way.  Some aren't.  Even the super evangelical folks generally shy away from that stuff.

Cavebear

The flat-earth argument is too moronic to be seriously considered by other than, well, morons.

Satellites, moon-landings, pictures of Earth from space, ships disappearing over the horizon keel-to-mast, curved shadows on the the moon in lunar eclipses, etc...  How could any rational person ignore that? 

I assume they just do it as a joke.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

trdsf

Well, Dipshit has put his launch on hold.  The Bureau of Land Management told him, no, not on our land you don't.  So he's looking for another launch site.  He's hoping to go up Tuesday.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on November 26, 2017, 04:26:02 AM
Well, Dipshit has put his launch on hold.  The Bureau of Land Management told him, no, not on our land you don't.  So he's looking for another launch site.  He's hoping to go up Tuesday.

The Civil Service is starting to fight back against the Orange Haired "Moron". 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Shiranu

I figure Flat Earthers are just one form of narcissists; they crave the attention their stupidity gives them, and if they believe they are correct because they are "special" and have the world figured out while the masses, the experts, everyone else all live in their sad little stupidity and cant grasp the knowledge they have.

Sort of like basically all other conspiracy theories.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Shiranu

Quote...but as the Post noted, he’s only recently become a Flat Earth convert “after struggling for months to raise funds.” Hence the “RESEARCH FLAT EARTH” slogan on the side of his rocket...

Well, he's not a conspiracy nut then, just an idiot who needed some funding from idiots for his idoticness.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur