Flat Earther does rocket science

Started by Hydra009, November 21, 2017, 12:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: bericks999 on November 21, 2017, 11:54:04 PM
I'll support the "flat earth theory"....when I was in Iceland, working for the military, it was daylight 24 hours a day.   All the better to see those hot ass Icelandic women.....

<snare drum>
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on November 21, 2017, 09:58:13 PM
I was at Democratic dinner one time where all the Democratic candidates for one of Montana's senatorial seats showed up to speak and pitch themselves.  They were your typical politicians, all experienced and well qualified, except for one guy who reminded me of your rocket man.  The only qualification that he pitched was that he was a former alcoholic who had overcome his problem.  I guess if you can do that, you are qualified to represent a state.  In addition, he showed up wearing a clown outfit, big red round nose and all,  and walked around holding the strings of about 25 helium balloons.  He held onto them even during his speech.  I dunno, maybe he was trying to make some kind of subtle statement about his opinion of politics, but he talked like he was super serious about his campaign.  I don't recall if he actually showed up on the primary ballot or not.

Definitely my kind of candidate ... from Church of Dischordianism?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Someone Should give him a prize for his will and effort.

I'm pretty sure a Darwin a award will soon become an option.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on November 22, 2017, 02:56:09 AM

Not at 61 years old.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Steam generates a tremendous force, and would be a great way to power a rocket.  Maybe not for interstellar travel, but plenty good enough for getting to the moon.  And once out of the atmosphere were you can pollute without smudging up the air, you can boil the water using wood burners.  We have lots of wood, and it would make a very cost effective rocket fuel.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 21, 2017, 10:11:15 PM
Speaking of Alaska, how the hell are native Americans supposed to get from Asia to North America on that?  Or Polynesians to Hawaii?  Commodore Perry might've been in for one hell of a shock, too.
You just follow the edge of the disk.  This is called the great circle route, and it's the shortest line of travel if you have to go more than forty miles.  Otherwise a straight line works better.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on November 22, 2017, 06:18:51 AM
Steam generates a tremendous force, and would be a great way to power a rocket.  Maybe not for interstellar travel, but plenty good enough for getting to the moon.  And once out of the atmosphere were you can pollute without smudging up the air, you can boil the water using wood burners.  We have lots of wood, and it would make a very cost effective rocket fuel.
But it's very inefficient. You'd never lift the wood needed to get a steam rocket to the Moon. Highly compressed hydrogen would burn nicely, but the ancillary equipment would reduce that advantage.

(I was a  Machinist Mate in the USN, working on steam turbines. We needed a three story high boiler to produce 70,000 hp.)
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 22, 2017, 07:08:03 AM
But it's very inefficient. You'd never lift the wood needed to get a steam rocket to the Moon. Highly compressed hydrogen would burn nicely, but the ancillary equipment would reduce that advantage.

(I was a  Machinist Mate in the USN, working on steam turbines. We needed a three story high boiler to produce 70,000 hp.)

Ship engines are huge ... too bad you weren't limited to sails ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on November 22, 2017, 06:26:28 AM
You just follow the edge of the disk.  This is called the great circle route, and it's the shortest line of travel if you have to go more than forty miles.  Otherwise a straight line works better.

That constituted immediate proof of Earth as a sphere, but didn't get proven until early 19th century (by Gauss in Germany) ... by that time the survivors of Magellan's pleasure cruise had prove the point already.  Gauss also hoped to prove Einstein's GTR ... 100 years early ... to prove or disprove the physical relevance of Euclid.  But his instruments couldn't be sensitive enough.  We now prove this in Earth orbit, for GPS.

Further exact surveying of the 19th century in British India, showed that something gravitational was throwing things off.  This proved that the Himalaya mountains, had deep roots, causing the plumb bob to lean a little off vertical, toward those mountains.  Charting the systematic error, was revealing.  That or it was Shangri-La ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Luther Martini

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on November 22, 2017, 02:56:09 AM

Darwin award indeed.   When I first read the article, the story of this nitwit riding a home built rocket into the sky reminded me of a Darwin award from the past.  Although the story was later debunked, the award was supposedly given to a man in Arizona who had attached a JATO (jet assisted take off) rocket to a car, and of course, ignited the rocket while driving said vehicle.  As the story goes, the unrecognizable remains of the car were found  by the highway patrol, embedded into the side of a mountain.  Adding a bit of flair to the tale, one piece of the vehicle that did survive was a portion of the rear bumper, to which was affixed a bumper sticker that read "Don't like my driving ... call 1-800-EAT-SHIT".

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Luther Martini on November 22, 2017, 07:27:46 AM
Darwin award indeed.   When I first read the article, the story of this nitwit riding a home built rocket into the sky reminded me of a Darwin award from the past.  Although the story was later debunked, the award was supposedly given to a man in Arizona who had attached a JATO (jet assisted take off) rocket to a car, and of course, ignited the rocket while driving said vehicle.  As the story goes, the unrecognizable remains of the car were found  by the highway patrol, embedded into the side of a mountain.  Adding a bit of flair to the tale, one piece of the vehicle that did survive was a portion of the rear bumper, to which was affixed a bumper sticker that read "Don't like my driving ... call 1-800-EAT-SHIT".
Yeah, that was the first Mythbusters episode.

However, the lunatics I hang out with are trying to build a pulse jet, like the used on the Buzz Bombs (V-1). They plan to mount it INSIDE a station wagon (estate car?). They are, of course, insane. That's why we're friends.
PZ Myers

Atheon

How high up does he hope to fly?

Amboy, eh? On old Route 66. Camped there once.

I expect he's going to be nothing more than a dark spot on the damp side of a canyon wall.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Atheon on November 22, 2017, 01:41:05 PM
How high up does he hope to fly?

Amboy, eh? On old Route 66. Camped there once.

I expect he's going to be nothing more than a dark spot on the damp side of a canyon wall.
He's shooting for 1,800 feet, less than 550 meters. Quite enough to give him the proof he wants.
PZ Myers

Johan

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 21, 2017, 08:03:23 PM
This flat earth stuff falls apart extremely easily just given basic facts about the world and a light application of logic.
Yep, same with the god stuff. But it doesn't seem to slow that crowd down much either.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

fencerider

1800 ft it not high enough to hit the glass ceiling, but its impressive for steam... unless you’re a shooter on an aircraft carrier.

We need to find out where the flat earthers get their stache, cause its good stuff.
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.